Think my G Rosea is dead - had her 22 yrs

Zillah

Arachnopeon
Hey guys - this is my first post

I got a G Rosea for christmas Dec 1988 and have cared for her since.
Never had any problems, at start of last month (approx 8th) she completed a successful moult so left her for about 4 weeks before offering any food.

Got a few locusts and she wasnt interested, in fact she did her best to hide as far away from them as possible so I ended up takin them out of tank.
Since then she's been very jumpy, have her in kitchen and the slightest vibrational movement had her moving her legs on substrate very quickly like she was hot sand (only way I can describe it).

She then 3 days ago tucked herself in beside driftwood I have in tank and hasnt moved a muscle since.
This morning I lifted her out but no reaction, she's slightly cooler than normal and not stiff (legs kinda curled under her but still moveable). Abdomen looks slightly wrinkled.
Have put her in container as I'm not 100% she's completely dead but dont know how to tell ?

Can anyone help, as ya can imagine I'm very upset as she's been part of my life for such a long time too :(

Thanks

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Woah, talk about dedication O_O . Um, anyways, yeah, she's dead. What you described is a term we call the "death curl". I would suggest putting her in an ICU if she doesn't smell bad in order to save her, but this could just be death by old age. Also, Grammostolas often go on long fasts and many do hide, but this isn't the case. I'm no expert, but perhaps she was hiding from the bugs because she was scared that they would start masticating her due to her weakness? Anyways, welcome to Arachnoboards! This place is chalk-full of help and I'm sure you'll learn a lot about Ts. Once you get here, you won't be able to stop buying Ts. They're very amazing and some of them are tons more active than the Rosea "pet rock"...no offense. I've got a G. pulchra that never moves and a C. Fimbriatus that doesn't leave its hole, so don't think you're alone here.

kenzie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It sounds to me like she is probably on her way out. I am very sorry to hear this as I fear the same thing. I have a big rosea female that I have had for about 19 years now, and I am the third owner, so she is about 22is, 23ish. I too fear the day she will go because she too has been such a big part of my life as well. Try everything you can to get her better though. Only when she stops moving, then declare her dead, though if thats the path shes on due to age there might be nothing you can do. Again, very sorry for your situation, but like noted, it only gets better from here now that your apart of the board, welcome!

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If she is dead or dying, you and the keepers b4 you did a great job giving her great care to have her around this long.

Take comfort in that!!!

If still alive, I would keep her in ICU. She will either fade there or get better. Nothing else you can do.:(

BTW how big is she???

GL PIG-

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
Shriveled up abdomen curled legs.
If it can move a little put in an ICU(small cantainer filled with moist paper towels.

I think she's dead.But if she's still alive,Good luck:(

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's sad to hear that you've lost a beloved long term pet but at the same time, I love hearing stories about a truly grizzled old maid making it to such a ripe old age. People recite the facts all the time here: "G. rosea and other slower metabolism T's can live to 25+ years, even 30." It's not often that people actually have one that old or even a first hand account of it.

You obviously took good care of her for all this while and it sounds like it was just her time.

Zillah

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all your help and kind words, think my fears are correct and she has in fact 'gone' just dont want to dispose of her in case she may be still alive (though cant see it) but ya know what I mean.
Its not like she has a pulse or it would be easy to tell !

I have put her in little plactic container within the tank for few days in case but as far as I can see there is no movement reaction to anything and she feels cool to touch.

Do they stiffen up when dead at all ?

will put pic on so may help (if I can)

Attachments

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
A beautiful old girl - - sorry to hear of your loss - - hope you'll get another since you've kept her so well.

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
Yep, thats the death curl. Sorry for your loss. It seems like it was probably old age, but the movements you were describing (like she was walking on hot sand) sounds like DKS.. look it up on YouTube. DKS is the cause of a lot of T deaths, and no one really knows how they get it. Best wishes.

Zillah

Arachnopeon
Yeah saw the DKS video tho my spider was only drumming her legs very fast where she was sitting after she'd been disturbed, she was able to put all legs down at once.

Not convinced she's totally gone tho, put her in ICU and could have sworn I saw her leg move

Maybe wishful thinking but will keep her in there for few days just in case :confused:

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It may be the end of the road for her. Atleast you gave her a long and happy life.
That picture looks odd for a G. Rosea. Why does it look bluish purplish? Kinda like an avic...How bizarre...
Anyways...Sorry that you have to go through this now but everything dies and it's just a part of it. :(

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
Thanks for all your help and kind words, think my fears are correct and she has in fact 'gone' just dont want to dispose of her in case she may be still alive (though cant see it) but ya know what I mean.
Its not like she has a pulse or it would be easy to tell !

I have put her in little plactic container within the tank for few days in case but as far as I can see there is no movement reaction to anything and she feels cool to touch.

Do they stiffen up when dead at all ?

will put pic on so may help (if I can)
yes i would say just an old timer. and another thinig her legs did curl up when she died so that show no loss of hydralic pressure so she didnt bleed any where wich means you really took good care of her and for that iam sure everyone here commends you.. have you thouhg of getting another yet?

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I'm sorry for your loss, She was beautiful. I'm glad you took such good care of her for such a long time.

Zillah

Arachnopeon
It may be the end of the road for her. Atleast you gave her a long and happy life.
That picture looks odd for a G. Rosea. Why does it look bluish purplish? Kinda like an avic...How bizarre...
Anyways...Sorry that you have to go through this now but everything dies and it's just a part of it. :(
She had just moulted last month so always loooks quite dark for first few months - am actually quite hopeful guys.....keep ckeckin on her in ICU and definately saw her front leg move very slightly :)

Will keep ya all posted anyway

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She had just moulted last month so always loooks quite dark for first few months - am actually quite hopeful guys.....keep ckeckin on her in ICU and definately saw her front leg move very slightly :)

Will keep ya all posted anyway

I hope the best for her man. It is really impressive your determination and care for the animal to have kept her for 22 years. :)

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hm, maybe try to put a waterdish below her mouth, see if she rehydrates..

but 22 years wow :0! did you have her since she was a sling? if so how many inches was she, and how big has she grown?

So happy you have an old girl! :) but its sad to see her go :(

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You must have taken great care of her. I'm sorry if she's gone, but it's wonderful that you've kept her this long. Best of luck to you.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm attached to mine after a month...Cant imagine 22 years I'm not even that old! 0_o

Zillah

Arachnopeon
Hm, maybe try to put a waterdish below her mouth, see if she rehydrates..

but 22 years wow :0! did you have her since she was a sling? if so how many inches was she, and how big has she grown?

So happy you have an old girl! :) but its sad to see her go :(
Got her as a present xmas 1988, the shop had only just opened in Belfast a few months but the guy seemed very very informed (sold all kinds of tarantulas and reptiles) - he said that she was'nt an adult yet (she was approx slightly less than half size she is now, which is 8.5cm length) so she could be anywhere between 23 and 26 years old really