Think I lost my first juvenile-adult tarantula

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I think I have lost a Tapinauchenius cupreus that has a failed molt. She is about 3 1/2" size. I am not sure what size they reach so I guess this one is between juvenile and adult.

There is web on the enclosure wall so it is hard for me to see her, but it looks like she did or attempted the molt in a spot that may have been too cramped. She hasn't moved at all now for about 8 hours. I guess I need to wait longer, but it doesn't look good.

I am bummed about this loss, but I guess this happens some times.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I think I have lost a Tapinauchenius cupreus that has a failed molt. She is about 3 1/2" size. I am not sure what size they reach so I guess this one is between juvenile and adult.

There is web on the enclosure wall so it is hard for me to see her, but it looks like she did or attempted the molt in a spot that may have been too cramped. She hasn't moved at all now for about 8 hours. I guess I need to wait longer, but it doesn't look good.

I am bummed about this loss, but I guess this happens some times.
I hope it turns out you're worrying over nothing and she turns out fine.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I hope it turns out you're worrying over nothing and she turns out fine.
From the best I can tell she completed the molt. She is stretched out in an odd position rather than curled, but has been in this same position every time I look. There is no movement.

basin79

ArachnoGod
From the best I can tell she completed the molt. She is stretched out in an odd position rather than curled, but has been in this same position every time I look. There is no movement.
As you know moulting takes a phenomenal amount of effort. She's probably just resting.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
We're rooting for her over here. Some of mine have appeared to have taken a nap after molting. Personally I don't blame them.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
It may be possible she moved. I just came home from work. I would swear she was in a slightly different position. In better natural lighting I can tell the molt did get completed though it is still next to her. If she is okay, this is the slowest recovery I have seen yet after a molt. Or maybe she is just faking me out.

Should I just let her be or does it help to add a slight amount of moisture to the substrate nearby? I wish I could get my camera to focus and get a good picture. Her body is elevated slightly on web above substrate in the corner of the enclosure. But her legs on one side are touching substrate so she would sense moisture is available.

My Tapinauchenius sp. Colombia did a molt on Saturday and was up and moving to a new position a couple hours later.

EDIT* I went ahead and added a little moisture but don't think it made a difference. I can see that it did get to the area behind her abdomen, but I don't know if she can even turn around to get to it (if she needs moisture). Her abdomen is certainly smaller than before molt but doesn't look depleted..... Still no movement that I can see. :(

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'd give her more time. She is still be hardening up at that size. My GBB didn't move at all for a few days after it's last molt. Granted it was bigger than your girl. I get that you want to know now but there isn't a lot you can do either way at this point. Give it time and see how things go.

Good luck.

boina

Lady of the mites
Just wanting to add another good luck note. I hope she makes it.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I just went through my first molts ever with my Ts, although they were slings. I haven't been through one of my juvies molting yet. I'm rooting for your girl, I hope she's ok. She may just be exhausted and resting (hopefully). :embarrassed:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Thanks to everyone who posted.

I just got home. My Tapi is now moving around a little.:) I am relieved and lucky. I think it was just new to me for them to go through this slow of a recovery and associated time period without movement. Even with my large number of slings I have only seen less than ten molts occur and all of them were fast recoveries.

I have found that I made one mistake for this tarantula that I need to fix. I can't speak for all of Tapinauchenius genus, but cupreus and sp. colombia both need more substrate than a pure arboreal tarantula (like an Avic). Mine are building nests right on top of the substrate and digging a little hole (1-2" deep) into the substrate. Because I didn't have enough substrate, my cupreus reached the bottom wall of the enclosure. I will need to find a way to fix this (maybe a rehousing is needed).

Jeff23

Arachnolord
My T. Gigas does something very similar to the behavior you described @Jeff23
I believe you are right. I did not include it because I only have slings in T. gigas right now. The two species I listed are ones I own in juvenile-adult size and they definitely did some digging. But I would probably give any juvenile-adult Tapinauchenius a few inches of substrate to be safe. This guarantees they will have plenty of maneuverability when they set up to nest and molt.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I'm so glad for the good news! And lo-and-behold, when I said something earlier about neither of my juvies having molted yet, I checked in on them just in time to see the tail end of my 2" A. avic molting! Again, congrats on your girl being ok! I'm glad to hear it!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I'm so glad for the good news! And lo-and-behold, when I said something earlier about neither of my juvies having molted yet, I checked in on them just in time to see the tail end of my 2" A. avic molting! Again, congrats on your girl being ok! I'm glad to hear it!
Great! I wish the best of luck in a fast recovery for your Avic as well.

I have started noting the dates for molts on mine with hope that I can figure out a rough estimate of the timing. But I have a long ways to go on that idea.