Things you never thought you’d have

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Birupes is coming to me as soon as I can get one for less than $165 🤣
Chilobrachys sp. electric blue is on my list
And Haploclastus devamatha is one I’ve heard the name of but never looked up.

*off to google*

oh, and your angry girl is my favorite. I’m excited to get all the threat poses someday😂
H. devamatha is a species that pictures will never do justice to, just FYI. It has a metallic sheen that pictures just can't replicate.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
H. devamatha is a species that pictures will never do justice to, just FYI. It has a metallic sheen that pictures just can't replicate.
I will keep that in mind 😉
Semi-off topic q - do fossorial slings scavenge like terrestrial ones? My O. philipinus hasn’t eaten even though I leave a mealworm chunk outside of its burrow every 3-5 days

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I will keep that in mind 😉
Semi-off topic q - do fossorial slings scavenge like terrestrial ones? My O. philipinus hasn’t eaten even though I leave a mealworm chunk outside of its burrow every 3-5 days
Yep, they can/will. If the sling is large enough I usually go the route of disabling prey so it still has some movement, I’m savage like that. But I have had them come out and take completely dead prey under the cover of darkness when I sleep.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Yep, they can/will. If the sling is large enough I usually go the route of disabling prey so it still has some movement, I’m savage like that. But I have had them come out and take completely dead prey under the cover of darkness when I sleep.
This one is either molting or doesn’t realize I’m putting food out for it because it’s untouched. Part of me is like “lol tarantulas” and the other part is thinking “but it’s so tiny…”

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
It’s about an inch or so, so maybe I should just rip the jumping legs off a small cricket?

ComputerDellLI

Arachnopeon
P. metallica. I never thought I'd buy a Pokie, none the less, such an expensive looking one. I had considered fasciata, vittata, and formosa. Yet here I am, with two P. metallica slings. They're pretty entertaining and good hunters. I've had Asian arboreals before, but more the Cyriopagopus/Omothymus kind that burrow a lot while younger. My P. metallica are so far, true arboreals.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
P. metallica. I never thought I'd buy a Pokie, none the less, such an expensive looking one. I had considered fasciata, vittata, and formosa. Yet here I am, with two P. metallica slings. They're pretty entertaining and good hunters. I've had Asian arboreals before, but more the Cyriopagopus/Omothymus kind that burrow a lot while younger. My P. metallica are so far, true arboreals.
I am dying to get my hands on a P. metallica. Figuratively, of course.
But they’re so freaking gorgeous. I’m not an arboreal person but I want one.

ComputerDellLI

Arachnopeon
I am dying to get my hands on a P. metallica. Figuratively, of course.
But they’re so freaking gorgeous. I’m not an arboreal person but I want one.
I loved my Phormingochilus, Cyriopagopus, and Omothymus to death, and in fact, they were fairly visible, but I think most of the negative stereotype around the Asian fossorial/arboreals is from people who didn't venture into Poecis. That said, my slings are certainly light sensitive. They don't like the flash of the camera. Not all Poecis are like that though.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
I loved my Phormingochilus, Cyriopagopus, and Omothymus to death, and in fact, they were fairly visible, but I think most of the negative stereotype around the Asian fossorial/arboreals is from people who didn't venture into Poecis. That said, my slings are certainly light sensitive. They don't like the flash of the camera. Not all Poecis are like that though.
I have a few light sensitive slings too, so that’s easy enough to deal with. I’ve just heard Pokies are insanely fast and arboreals just aren’t my cup of tea. I have an Avic but that’s as far as I’ve ventured into the arboreal world because I literally never see the darn thing. It webbed up inside its cork tube and I might see it’s feet every once in a while but that’s about it

ComputerDellLI

Arachnopeon
I have a few light sensitive slings too, so that’s easy enough to deal with. I’ve just heard Pokies are insanely fast and arboreals just aren’t my cup of tea. I have an Avic but that’s as far as I’ve ventured into the arboreal world because I literally never see the darn thing. It webbed up inside its cork tube and I might see it’s feet every once in a while but that’s about it
Stromatopelminae are supposed to be very light sensitive. I have an S.cal and H.mac, both mature females. They're visible very often, and when they get excited, all out hunting or chasing something down, it's thrilling to watch. Cameras don't bother them so much. My male S.cal (which I raised from a sling) was the same way. They mostly stay in their tube webs by the base of their cork bark, but boy when they're out are they a sight to behold. I haven't tested the speed of the Poecis yet, I'm going to let them settle in and get another molt first. It's true what they say in the care reports though, P. metallica will often move quickly horizontally, as if doing laps, when it feels it's exposed.

KillBoxSpider

Arachnopeon
u would love a pokie they often rehouse them selves they have a grace about them mine never get away or blitz me to to run off there pretty chill people like Cyriopagopus lividus and there like mean blue junk yard dogs tagin walls to get at u could def find u meaner and faster lol

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
I entered the hobby after catching an A. Steindachneri in Westlake California, then I picked up 6 P. regalia, a female C.fimbriatus and a male P. Formosa and it was over for me. For a long time I didn't think owning an Omothymus violaceopes was gonna be a reality due to their lack of availability when I got into the hobby almost 20 years ago but since then I have had a few and I absolutely love them haha. This is my first O.vio after she bolted from her shipping cup. I wasn't sure what to do so I just had someone snap a pic lol

Attachments

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I entered the hobby after catching an A. Steindachneri in Westlake California, then I picked up 6 P. regalia, a female C.fimbriatus and a male P. Formosa and it was over for me. For a long time I didn't think owning an Omothymus violaceopes was gonna be a reality due to their lack of availability when I got into the hobby almost 20 years ago but since then I have had a few and I absolutely love them haha. This is my first O.vio after she bolted from her shipping cup. I wasn't sure what to do so I just had someone snap a pic lol
Talk about looking calm under the circumstance. Hopefully it came off as easy as it went on.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Talk about looking calm under the circumstance. Hopefully it came off as easy as it went on.
Oh yeah, she bolted up my back and over my head. Only took a little nudging to get her into a cup again. It's an interesting experience having an adult female Singapore Blue on your face haha