Things you never thought you’d have

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Couldn’t tell you why but I find myself super interested in fossorial species lately. Which I find really funny because, when I started keeping tarantulas, I wanted ones that I could see all the time. And now I’m over here basically looking at buying pet holes.

Maybe it’s the fact that it will be a rare treat to see it out and about or maybe it just makes me feel less bad about the fact that they don’t eat every day because I don’t actually SEE them (I still catch myself absentmindedly reaching for the crickets to feed them when I feed my dogs every morning) but I’ve got two fossorials currently and a third I’ll be picking up probably early next week.

With that said, did you ever find yourself interested in tarantulas that you didn’t expect to be interested in when you first started keeping?
What was it about that type of tarantula that eventually drew you to it?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Never in a million years did I ever think I’d obtain my dream tarantula. T.albopilosum.The crown jewel of my collection

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Never in a million years did I ever think I’d obtain my dream tarantula. T.albopilosum.The crown jewel of my collection
Really?! I haven’t been around the hobby long but I thought they were super common. Unless it’s a regional reason?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Always thought the horned baboons looked stupid. Got a C. marshalli as a freebie a couple years ago. She has become one of my absolute favorites. They are stunning.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
With that said, did you ever find yourself interested in tarantulas that you didn’t expect to be interested in when you first started keeping?
No- but I find the difference in their behaviors rather interesting from an evolutionary standpoint.

Always thought the horned baboons looked stupid.
I bet she says the same about you! 2 legged mammals, c'mon man you know she's thinking- who the hell would want only 2 legs! :troll:

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Always thought the horned baboons looked stupid. Got a C. marshalli as a freebie a couple years ago. She has become one of my absolute favorites. They are stunning.
I’m picking up a marshalli next week! I’m so excited

I bet she says the same about you! 2 legged mammals, c'mon man you know she's thinking- who the hell would want only 2 legs! :troll:
Us and our two legs and the thickest hair we have is on our head. Gosh.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I also have an O. philipinus and a Chilobrachys huanini 🤣
Jumped in headfirst to OW’s
Well, you shouldn't have any issues with a marshalli. Mine has been quite chill for a baboon. At least till it's feeding time. Lol
She's actually easier to work with than some of my hair kickers.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Yeah, fossorials are very cool. I have a couple. It is indeed a treat to see them surface! My OG C.minax (vonwirthi regional colour variant) was an absolute stunner! I used to keep all my animals in my bedroom in those days (it was a long room running the entire length of the house) and when I would go to bed I’d often catch her out hunting frozen, like a rabbit in the headlights, when I flicked the light on. Other than that, never saw her!

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, fossorials are very cool. I have a couple. It is indeed a treat to see them surface! My OG C.minax (vonwirthi regional colour variant) was an absolute stunner! I used to keep all my animals in my bedroom in those days (it was a long room running the entire length of the house) and when I would go to bed I’d often catch her out hunting frozen, like a rabbit in the headlights, when I flicked the light on. Other than that, never saw her!
You might be amused by this.

I had to put my Chilobrachys huanini’s shipping vial in the enclosure for it to come out because I didn’t want to hurt it by pulling on the moss it was shipped in. It’s only about 1/2 inch, so I was worried about snagging a leg in the tongs.

Went back about 2 hours later, peeked in the vial and no spider, so I popped the lid and went to remove the vial with my tongs. Only to find that the darn little thing webbed the vial to the substrate and sides of the cup. Pulled it out anyway and here bolts this tiny little spider out of its burrow and *it threat posed me.*

Sir spider, I could drop a Lego on you and you would die. What makes you think your pinky nail sized threat pose is going to stop me from doing what I’m doing? 🤣

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Fossorial or obligated burrowers which ever you want to call them are absolutely the best, i have preached this the whole time being on Arachnoboards. Glad to see more people enjoying them as much as i do.
Happy keeping!!!!

Attachments

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Fossorial or obligated burrowers which ever you want to call them are absolutely the best, i have preached this the whole time being on Arachnoboards. Glad to see more people enjoying them as much as i do.
Happy keeping!!!!
That web tunnel is amazing!!!

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
Believe it or not, it was the exact same thing for me! Fossorials. I never thought I'd really want to buy another (I only bought the c. darlingi because of the adorable freaking horn) but it's become the MOST fascinating spider I have. And I drop this comment on other threads a lot but a) it uses the entire enclosure as a burrow, having fluffed the substrate to fill the space so it could tunnel and utilize the lid and sides of the deli cup as part of its' burrow, and b) because of point a it is out and on display all. the. time. It's cool to watch burrow, web, hunt. I'm struggling to combat the fact that it refuses to let me give it a water dish. Every time I do, the poor bottle cap gets dragged into the burrow to die and be buried, webbed into the substrate. Think "Alien" in the room where the Xenomorph has glued people to the walls like tasty decorations. But see, even that behavior is so incredibly fascinating!

That's what drew me to exploring more fossorials, and it has led me to a hypothesis that obligate burrowers will be more on display and utilize more of their enclosures if the enclosure is a cylinder.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Never thought I’d own a T that I could eventually put a leash on. A tea cup poodle harness should work perfect for my P. muticus. Thats right, more poor humor, I’m ready for the ban and exile!

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Never thought I’d own a T that I could eventually put a leash on. A tea cup poodle harness should work perfect for my P. muticus. Thats right, more poor humor, I’m ready for the ban and exile!
They're not what people think.
Most of the time, they're just asleep on the couch.

magouilles

Arachnoknight
Couldn’t tell you why but I find myself super interested in fossorial species lately. Which I find really funny because, when I started keeping tarantulas, I wanted ones that I could see all the time. And now I’m over here basically looking at buying pet holes.

Maybe it’s the fact that it will be a rare treat to see it out and about or maybe it just makes me feel less bad about the fact that they don’t eat every day because I don’t actually SEE them (I still catch myself absentmindedly reaching for the crickets to feed them when I feed my dogs every morning) but I’ve got two fossorials currently and a third I’ll be picking up probably early next week.

When I first started I wasn't interested in OWs species and really didn't want to acquire one
After 2 years of t keeping, I kinda wanted a new "challenge" and gave it a try
Now rehousing spicy spoods is my guilty pleasure😂