Things that bug you in the hobby

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Just correct them and move on, if someone spells it wrong but you know what they mean what is the deal?
Unless I am writing a paper on tarantulas my spelling really isn't that important.
Unless of course you are secretly marking users...
The deal is that clarity is very important as is spelling. Forums such as these are knowledge bases and colloquial variation in names is confusing, especially so due to the international makeup of the membership. We constantly are telling new people to use the search function here to glean information and learn more about the hobby. That is a much more difficult task if everyone is using made up names for animals with no consistency. So yes, in effect, when you write a post it is as if you are writing a journal article. At the very least you are contributing to a knowledge base that is ostensibly saved into perpetuity.

Secretly marking users indeed...:mad:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Just correct them and move on, if someone spells it wrong but you know what they mean what is the deal?
Unless I am writing a paper on tarantulas my spelling really isn't that important.
Marking users? For what? Assassination? o_O

The L is silent in both American English (as well as in UK English, I believe). No idea why. For me though, it's like a deliberate effort for me to not sound out that stupid "L"!

Is pronouncing the "L" normal where you live? Maybe I was born on the wrong continent.... :)
Do you actually say SAL-MON? I am actually triggered
I pronounced the L in English salmon... You secretly use French, did you know that?! :p In French it is 'saumon', which sounds roughly like you would pronounce it when the L is silent.. :rofl:
Never knew that it was supposed to be silent :cyclops: oh well, learn something new everyday :)
I use one -e- in vegetables though.
In Dutch it is 'zalm' and yes, we pronounce the L.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Spelling really isn't that important??!! How can people say that? :arghh:

Last edited:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Imagine being bothered and annoyed by people saying spoods, naming their Ts and incorrectly spelling specie names.
Are you on the same internet as the rest of us? All social media is primarily people expressing their annoyance. Arachnoboards is actually unusually pleasant.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Marking users? For what? Assassination? o_O
For spelling errors

I pronounced the L in English salmon... You secretly use French, did you know that?! :p In French it is 'saumon', which sounds roughly like you would pronounce it when the L is silent.. :rofl:
Never knew that it was supposed to be silent :cyclops: oh well, learn something new everyday :)
In Dutch it is 'zalm' and yes, we pronounce the L.
I did not know this, but that is some really useful information! Thanks!

Spelling really isn't that important??!! How can people say that? :arghh:
Man, so high strung. Making an honest mistake is no biggie... It is literally how you learn, Sometimes I have to look up spelling of genus/specie name because I cannot remember it all.

Are you on the same internet as the rest of us? All social media is primarily people expressing their annoyance. Arachnoboards is actually unusually pleasant.
I have eyes and I don't really use social media.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Man, so high strung. Making an honest mistake is no biggie... It is literally how you learn, Sometimes I have to look up spelling of genus/specie name because I cannot remember it all.
I completely understand making mistakes and I still have trouble spelling some words. I'm sorry, I saw "spelling doesn't really matter" and I freaked out. I'm overly sensitive to people suggesting that spelling/grammar doesn't matter much.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Earlier in this thread, I said that it annoys me when people call their abdomens butts. When I was really new, it was quite annoying. When I wrote that post, it was a very minor annoyance. Now, I catch myself thinking butt instead. :rofl:
I know cure. Repeat after me: "It's opisthosoma. It's opisthosoma. It's opisthosoma. It's opisthosoma. ..." :D:D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I haven't payed much attention to most people's pronunciations of 'tarantula,' but I've always said 'charantula.' I know my mom pronounces the first letter as 't,' but she has a heavy Eastern European accent so it might be that.
Well, your mother is damn right :bored:

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
I completely understand making mistakes and I still have trouble spelling some words. I'm sorry, I saw "spelling doesn't really matter" and I freaked out. I'm overly sensitive to people suggesting that spelling/grammar doesn't matter much.
Don't apologize. He said "Unless I am writing a paper on tarantulas my spelling really isn't that important".

Nothing in there about making honest mistakes.

Yep, spelling and language do matter. :D

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have to agree with this, I assume most people are only jokingly annoyed by the naming, but anyway. Naming things really affects the way people think. Giving a name to a tarantula labels it as an individual, and affirms its position as someone's pet - now it has unmeasurable value since it's important enough to be named by someone.
And if someone is dead scared of a giant spider, try naming that said spider something like "Bubbles" or "Kitty" or something, it makes it sound less menacing and harder to be afraid of.

Also one irrational thing that bugs me are those soft tissues many T's are packed with in their shipping containers. They are good at keeping the T's unharmed, but trying to get the poor spider safely out of the slightly moist paper without crumbling it all around the enclosure annoys me like no other. Sure, if the spider is slow you can move it into some other container first, but with lightning fast ones that adds unnecessary possibility of unwanted bolting...
It's harmless, but I'd still rather not have tiny white pieces of paper in my nice setups!

I had a 15 foot albino Burmese python that my sisters 1st grade class named fluffy.

I use a variety of popular names (Charlotte, Aragog, Shelob) in my shows as it is another way to help kids get interested. My first spider (L. parahybana sling) I named Kumonga but no one ever got the reference. I also had a huge crayfish named Ebirah and a praying mantis named Kamacuras but those also got blank stares from all but the most sophisticated movie aficionados.

Yes, if I am speaking English I do say it like that. Mostly I speak Norwegian though and says laks instead ;)
if I were speaking Norwegian I would probably say aks

So do I I tell my kids "now sit down and eat your vg-ta-bless"

Honest mistakes are acceptable and you are right we do learn that way but only if those mistakes are pointed out and we are exposed to the correct spelling. I often have to look up the spelling of certain words but when it comes to genus/species names I feel I have an obligation to do so. Pronunciation on the other hand...that's a whole different story.

I know cure. Repeat after me: "It's opisthosoma. It's opisthosoma. It's opisthosoma. It's opisthosoma. ..." :D:D
Yeah but opisthosoma doesn't make first graders giggle nearly as much. When I am talking about snake genetics in one of my shows I bring out an albino corn snake and I will say "now this is an albino" when I bring out the next one I'll say "the last one was an albino, that's pretty easy to say...everyone try it (they all say albino) now this one is a bit tougher...its an anerythristic" and they proceed to butcher it. Then I say "remember that it will be on the test" and they all freak out and say "there's going to be a test?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I had a 15 foot albino Burmese python that my sisters 1st grade class named fluffy.
IMO 'Fluffy', as a name, has still more dignity than mainstream 'Aragog' and 'Shelog'.

At least 'Fluffy' can be anyway the name of a twisted, sick, perverted, deranged, crazy thing/person :writer:

ih ih :) :playful:

Zaxxen

Arachnosquire
IMO 'Fluffy', as a name, has still more dignity than mainstream 'Aragog' and 'Shelog'.

At least 'Fluffy' can be anyway the name of a twisted, sick, perverted, deranged, crazy thing/person :writer:

ih ih :) :playful:
I can get behind Aragog and Shelog, tbh, atleast if you have a theme when it comes to names, my only T is called Minerva, next one will be Mosag (Aragog's Wife) and then if i get a completely dark brown ill name that one aragog as im trying to keep everything Harry Potter themed, and if my current one turns out to be a male imma change it to Albus or Percival :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

I use a variety of popular names (Charlotte, Aragog, Shelob) in my shows as it is another way to help kids get interested. My first spider (L. parahybana sling) I named Kumonga but no one ever got the reference. I also had a huge crayfish named Ebirah and a praying mantis named Kamacuras but those also got blank stares from all but the most sophisticated movie aficionados.

if I were speaking Norwegian I would probably say aks

So do I I tell my kids "now sit down and eat your vg-ta-bless"

Honest mistakes are acceptable and you are right we do learn that way but only if those mistakes are pointed out and we are exposed to the correct spelling. I often have to look up the spelling of certain words but when it comes to genus/species names I feel I have an obligation to do so. Pronunciation on the other hand...that's a whole different story.

Yeah but opisthosoma doesn't make first graders giggle nearly as much. When I am talking about snake genetics in one of my shows I bring out an albino corn snake and I will say "now this is an albino" when I bring out the next one I'll say "the last one was an albino, that's pretty easy to say...everyone try it (they all say albino) now this one is a bit tougher...its an anerythristic" and they proceed to butcher it. Then I say "remember that it will be on the test" and they all freak out and say "there's going to be a test?"
Lol, no. Afaik, you're supposed to say 'veg-tables' , and not 'veg-e-tables'. Sort of. 'groenten' works fine for me :angelic:

Little my

Arachnopeon
Goddammit, Sharon!

I actually like it when people say they're never coming round mine because of my T's. Firstly, I like my solitude when at home. I rarely invite people over, so it's a great excuse to not have people round when I don't want visitors. Secondly, it sorts the wheat from the chaff. If someone's too scared to go into the same building as a couple of tiny little T's (and snakes in my case), and they're going to make an issue of it, that's their problem to deal with. Not mine.
Proof that most T owners are just like there T's