Things that bug you in the hobby

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
This pretty much sums up any and all contribution I could add to this thread.

Though I will admit I'm guilty of buying a rarer tarantula for my first one, but it was more a case of dumb curiosity that got me. I'd read it was wise to start with terrestrial new worlds and all that and had been looking at the recommended species for a while, but got carried away in the depths of Google image search and related images. I came across Theraphosinae sp. Panama and fell in love, like wow I fell in love hard, but read they were kind of rare and hard to find. Out of curiosity I searched if any were for sale. They were. I'd done months of reading about basic tarantula care and felt I was ready enough to take the plunge, and felt if I didn't act now then I may never get the chance again anytime soon.

Granted if I had messed up it would have been a very expensive mistake, but I felt I was ready, and my little friend has been the best starter tarantula I could have ever asked for. Calm, eats well, just an overall gentle creature. But it was a risk! Maybe some people dive into wierd and obscure ones because they feel as if they can handle it, or love the tarantula itself, or the more recommended species that are encouraged for new keepers don't really resonate with them. I think as long as they look after the animal and do their research, there's no harm, but the price tag means any mistake is a very expensive and harsh mistake, and people have to acknowledge and accept that if they're gonna insist on getting a rarer tarantula.
Theraphosinae species are fairly easy to care for, despite being rare so you didn't mess up at all :) and it sounds like you fell in love with the species for what they are, and not just because it is a rare species.
I can understand the love for this genus, they're just too cute!

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
Theraphosinae species are fairly easy to care for, despite being rare so you didn't mess up at all :) and it sounds like you fell in love with the species for what they are, and not just because it is a rare species.
I can understand the love for this genus, they're just too cute!
They're adorable, too adorable for words. I have quite a few popular and established species but when I fall in love with a species its hard to shake the idea of owning them, nevermind how rare or expensive they are. No matter how much they cost me, from £5 to £50, I love all of them equally. Though my bank account doesn't love me very much. :embarrassed:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Though I will admit I'm guilty of buying a rarer tarantula for my first one
For the record, not necessarily against new keepers getting rarer T's, at least the easier to keep ones anyway. It just that I've noticed a trend lately of new keepers with lists of T's, each one more rare and/or obscure than the next. I'm starting to think some of these people are just looking for ways to get noticed here and they think having the rarest T's will give them status. Maybe I'm wrong, but when I see several newbies talking about getting Aphonopelma mooreae slings (going for $350 each in the US) I find myself thinking "What, a Gbb isn't good enough for you? You got to have a Aphonopelma that looks like a Gbb?" Seems like a pure status thing to me.
And lest anyone think this is just sour grapes on my part, I just sold some inherited property and I could afford A. mooreae slings, but there plenty of other inverts that interest me more. Maybe I'll get some when (or if) the price comes down.
(If this all seems a bit grouchy on my part, well I just got off a 12 hr shift, so I'm a bit :sour:)

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
[that's gotta beat calling one a 'charanchula' -- yes? maybe? C'mon, some validation -- I can't be the only one to verbally actually refer to them as Tees???]
That's literally the only way I've heard it pronounced in the South. I'm pretty sure it's just an accent thing.
Um, never mind where I'm from. Seriously -- I've always heard the 'T' pronounced! I sort of thought 'charantula' was a joke (re: pronunciation) . :zipit:
I haven't payed much attention to most people's pronunciations of 'tarantula,' but I've always said 'charantula.' I know my mom pronounces the first letter as 't,' but she has a heavy Eastern European accent so it might be that.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I've heard tuh-ran-choo-luh, tuh-ran-chuh-luh and tran-chluh --- but not a "ch" sound at the beginning. Always thought it was just someone just being cute to start with "ch" sound.
I can't judge anyone -- I sometimes still forget and pronounce the L in salmon because I incorrectly learned it that way. :eek:

Maybe I should just stick to calling them "Tees" huh?

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
I've heard tuh-ran-choo-luh, tuh-ran-chuh-luh and tran-chluh --- but not a "ch" sound at the beginning. Always thought it was just someone just being cute to start with "ch" sound.
I can't judge anyone -- I sometimes still forget and pronounce the L in salmon because I incorrectly learned it that way. :eek:

Maybe I should just stick to calling them "Tees" huh?
The first two are how I pronounce it. Have I actually been saying it wrong? What is the proper pronunciation? I swear, if I've been saying it wrong this whole time, I might just change my mind and join you!;)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
The first two are how I pronounce it. Have I actually been saying it wrong? What is the proper pronunciation? I swear, if I've been saying it wrong this whole time, I might just change my mind and join you!;)
Pleased to assist: "teeeees" ;)
Actually, probably all are commonly accepted (even the Charantula one I hadn't recognised as real). As long as people know what you're referring to. :)

Minty

@londontarantulas
Discovering that some people pronounce tarantula as 'charantula'. *shudders*

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
For the record, not necessarily against new keepers getting rarer T's, at least the easier to keep ones anyway. It just that I've noticed a trend lately of new keepers with lists of T's, each one more rare and/or obscure than the next. I'm starting to think some of these people are just looking for ways to get noticed here and they think having the rarest T's will give them status. Maybe I'm wrong, but when I see several newbies talking about getting Aphonopelma mooreae slings (going for $350 each in the US) I find myself thinking "What, a Gbb isn't good enough for you? You got to have a Aphonopelma that looks like a Gbb?" Seems like a pure status thing to me.
And lest anyone think this is just sour grapes on my part, I just sold some inherited property and I could afford A. mooreae slings, but there plenty of other inverts that interest me more. Maybe I'll get some when (or if) the price comes down.
(If this all seems a bit grouchy on my part, well I just got off a 12 hr shift, so I'm a bit :sour:)
Yeah, I agree. I had a look at Aphonopelma mooreae since I was unfamiliar and it looks so extremely similar to a GBB that's there's really no defending a new keeper trying to get one. I could maybe slightly defend it if it looked unique or had something other tarantulas don't but even then I wouldn't drop 100+ dollary doos on a starter tarantula, especially since if you were super new and had to get the box, sub, hide and everything else to go along with it, maybe even pay for shipping.

Brownie point hunting happens in any hobby that has rarity in it, it's kinda sad. There's a difference between going after a tarantula because you like it and going after it because it's rare, and even then going after it because you like it is discouraged if it's particularly expensive or hard to keep and you have no idea what you're doing, christ, the amount of times I've seen people outside of the community commenting that they want to own a P. metallica or a T. seladonia is concerning.

You didn't sound grouchy though, no worries :happy:

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Earlier in this thread, I said that it annoys me when people call their abdomens butts. When I was really new, it was quite annoying. When I wrote that post, it was a very minor annoyance. Now, I catch myself thinking butt instead. :rofl:

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
We need to lighten up in a thread titled "things that bug you in the hobby"? o_O Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?
Imagine being bothered and annoyed by people saying spoods, naming their Ts and incorrectly spelling specie names.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Imagine being bothered and annoyed by people saying spoods, naming their Ts and incorrectly spelling specie names.
Well... Species names are kind of important... So i can understand why it bothers some people.
Just because you can't be bothered doesn't mean everybody else shouldn't ;)
Or you could participate in this thread by posting you're bothered/bugged by the people that posted things they're bugged about in this thread that is about things that bug people. :angelic:

@Ellenantula pronouncing the L in salmon is bad? In English??

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Well... Species names are kind of important... So i can understand why it bothers some people.
Just correct them and move on, if someone spells it wrong but you know what they mean what is the deal?
Unless I am writing a paper on tarantulas my spelling really isn't that important.
Unless of course you are secretly marking users...

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
@Ellenantula pronouncing the L in salmon is bad? In English??
The L is silent in both American English (as well as in UK English, I believe). No idea why. For me though, it's like a deliberate effort for me to not sound out that stupid "L"!

Is pronouncing the "L" normal where you live? Maybe I was born on the wrong continent.... :)

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
The L is silent in both American English (as well as in UK English, I believe). No idea why. For me though, it's like a deliberate effort for me to not sound out that stupid "L"!

Is pronouncing the "L" normal where you live? Maybe I was born on the wrong continent.... :)
Here it is at least. I thought everyone pronounced it :)

I also pronounce the -e- in veg-e-tables, but I know that is wrong.