Things that bug you in the hobby

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
Just starting a chill thread here trying to get some funny responses, who knows, maybe some people might post some interesting things.
I'll start: I hate how I get super excited to get a new animal but then get let down when I realise I will probably never see these animals in the wild.

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
For me, the fact that I live two hours away from any reputable place that sells Ts (this excludes LPS like Petco,Petsmart,etc) and therefore have to wait for expos near me or pay overnight shipping. :shifty:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Something that "bugs" me, eh?

:troll:

I find it pretty frustrating how new keepers get obsessed with the idea of getting an OW way too early on; C. lividus, OBTs, P. metallica.... :penguin:

Minty

@londontarantulas
Based on a very recent experience, losing a tarantula when there’s nothing you can do about it, sometimes it just won’t make it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Very but very few things in life can 'bug me' but I have noticed this, in regards of the inverts/arachnid community, at a worldwide level, during various Expo's:

• A lot of keepers seems 'Bikers' jumped out from the Bar you can see in the beginning of 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day'
  • A lot of keepers seems Nerds jumped out from a forgotten school basement where a perverted janitor sealed them for the last two years
  • A lot of female keepers are sexy so I suggest to those to create a fashion 'Bikini & T's' bathing suit line - take the colours/patterns from the T's, like, example a P.metallica bathing costume - if 'you' do this and it's $ pure winning $ please gib/send me a little %
:pompous:

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
People who don’t do basic research.

People who act like they have enough experience to deal with an OW even though the most high strung thing they have is a Psalmopoeus sling they’ve owned for a week. (And then you see them getting rid of their ts once they get an OW and realize they can’t handle it:rolleyes:)

Seeing the prices in Europe compared to the prices in the US:rofl:

The cost of shipping.

Water dishes being used as anything but a water dish. (Toilet, garbage disposal, frisbee, etc.)

Fake plants being used as chew toys. (looking at you, Phormictopus cancerides)

I enjoy the fact that there isn’t too many people in the hobby compared to other hobbies, but it would be nice to have someone to physically talk to about tarantulas every once in awhile. This forum is the closest thing I have to that:rofl:

I could probably go on, but for every annoyance in the hobby, there’s something that’s even more fantastic and wonderful:D

starnaito

Arachnosquire
#1 for me is probably the completely wrong tarantula care seen in the majority of pet stores. And second to that is people who claim they know more than I do about it just because they've "owned reptiles for XX years". Not saying experience isn't useful, but just because you've done something the same way all your life, that doesn't make it right.

Also, my A. genic and his obsession with keeping me away from his water dishes... that's pretty annoying. And, yes, he's got two dishes; that's the only way I've managed to refill them without him being a turd.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Water dishes being used as anything but a water dish. (Toilet, garbage disposal, frisbee, etc.)
Like old good lovely 'Klondike Gold Rush' miners said, after work (among diseases and of utmost seriousness dancing ladies)
'watch always the half - crappy Bourbon - full part of the glass' :drunk:

Aside the frisbee part, it's great that water dish are often used as a toilet/garbage disposal, make the maintenance even more spot on and easy :writer:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
The complete lack of knowledge some employees have for the animals they care for at pet stores.

The fact that some employees at the pet stores legitimately know the current care of the animals is wrong, but don't care enough to fix it.

Some of the more popular people on YouTube, serving as role models for countless new keepers, yet they're some of the worst examples of proper husbandry.

The fact that people who aren't in the hobby think it's okay to talk to you about wanting to kill your pet because it's not a dog or cat.

Feeders.

Not having enough fellow keepers around to talk to someone in person about the hobby (a fantastic point borrowed from @spookyvibes)

The fact that I will never have the funds or space for every single species I want at any given time.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
-Crossbreeding (and related, people not knowing the difference between the terms 'species' and 'breed')

-People who feed live birds/mice/other vertebrates to tarantulas and then put the video on youtube. Does nothing but make people hate tarantulas, and it's also unnecessarily cruel to use a fairly intelligent animal as a feeder.

-The way the mainstream portrays tarantulas in such a negative way...movies, TV shows, the local news, etc. It perpetuates the negative attitudes of most people about these animals, and no amount of education will change most people's outlook once they feel that way.

-Any activity that puts entertainment as a higher priority than an animal's safety. We should minimize risk whenever possible.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
For me, the fact that I live two hours away from any reputable place that sells Ts (this excludes LPS like Petco,Petsmart,etc) and therefore have to wait for expos near me or pay overnight shipping. :shifty:
yeah costed me a ton in shipping for mine .
Mine all stopped carrying Ts cuz they must have either killed too many or did not sell enough.

It seems there’s a lot of hate over misunderstanding that tarantulas are evil like vlad Dracula or something. People wish them dead , for no understandable reasons.

People Getting a. Old worlds as a first or second T is a annoying thing . Like at least wait til you had multiple P irminia. That’s asking for an escape or a bite.

And I cannot ever get a good molt from a aboreal T.

Hate YouTube videos of people getting it on purpose , or handling then which almost always goes wrong. Hate rodents feeding as it almost always isa.
Mouse big enough to kill the T. Really only snake so need rodents. Just a waste of money, and endangers the spider. Makes it look like tarantula are villains.

Last edited:

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Referring to keeping living animals as merely a hobby.
What would you prefer to call it. You seem to be reading a lot more into the word "hobby" than you need to.

I think I know where you are going with the "living animals" part of your post. People who keep live animals have a duty and a responsibility to provide for them as we are their sole means of survival but referring to it as a hobby seems to trivialize it. However, calling it a hobby doesn't mean we can't provide them with everything they need even if we do consider it a hobby. Very few make a living at this so for most people it is a hobby in every sense of the word. Just because it involves live animals doesn't change that.

I hope you don't take this post the wrong way. Obviously if people referring to it as a hobby bugs you it takes away some of you enjoyment (being bugged about something is not enjoyable) from your T's. I'm just trying to make a point or two that may help lessen how much it bugs you to make your enjoyment greater.

basin79

ArachnoGod
What would you prefer to call it. You seem to be reading a lot more into the word "hobby" than you need to.

I think I know where you are going with the "living animals" part of your post. People who keep live animals have a duty and a responsibility to provide for them as we are their sole means of survival but referring to it as a hobby seems to trivialize it. However, calling it a hobby doesn't mean we can't provide them with everything they need even if we do consider it a hobby. Very few make a living at this so for most people it is a hobby in every sense of the word. Just because it involves live animals doesn't change that.

I hope you don't take this post the wrong way. Obviously if people referring to it as a hobby bugs you it takes away some of you enjoyment (being bugged about something is not enjoyable) from your T's. I'm just trying to make a point or two that may help lessen how much it bugs you to make your enjoyment greater.
Of course I don't take the post the wrong way.

I do realise I'm in the tiny minority as most refer to keeping tarantulas as a hobby.

It just doesn't sit right with me personally. Never as and never will.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
1. excessive use of common names
2. no use of scientific names
3. dealing w dubias playing dead
4. having to crush dubia heads
5. wallet is always empty

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
Like old good lovely 'Klondike Gold Rush' miners said, after work (among diseases and of utmost seriousness dancing ladies)
'watch always the half - crappy Bourbon - full part of the glass' :drunk:

Aside the frisbee part, it's great that water dish are often used as a toilet/garbage disposal, make the maintenance even more spot on and easy :writer:
Very true, it does make for easier cleanup/maintenance:D I guess I’m just annoyed at the frequency of these occurrences

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
yeah, I was gonna ask how else would one describe the, er, hobby? Let's look at the definition of the word...I'll just grab the one I got from Wikipedia since it was the first relevant hit after a search. "A hobby is a regular activity that is done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time."

Okay, generally speaking, unless one makes a living from keeping tarantulas, keeping them could accurately be described as something done during leisure time, couldn't it? I don't think it follows that because something is alive, that excludes an interest in it as being a hobby. Is caring for them a regular activity? I'd say so. Is that done during spare time? In most cases, probably so. And obviously for the most part it is done for enjoyment by non-professionals
How else could it be described? Personally, I think there is more reason to describe one's spiders as a "collection" as being irksome but that doesn't bother me either, since that could be technically correct as well.

Like the poster above, I'm not trying to bust your chops by using semantics, but you might be a little less perturbed by the term if you broaden the definition a bit. The tarantulas won't care. ;)

As an aside, I think that @nicodimus22 nails it with the unnecessary feeding of verterbrates and posting videos of the act. It is one of my pet peeves as well.