Things that bug you in the hobby

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
cool!
i tried to read it with italian accent, but i failed! :banghead::rofl::rofl:
Italian and Spanish, Mexican speaking Spanish etc may be similar, especially with some words/terms, but in reality are completely different. For instance, I can speak French basically almost perfectly, but with Spanish I have a couple of issues ah ah :writer:

:)

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
The only thing I got out of it was gravy.
You guys will always have a pizza my heart.
Y'all gotta stop, you're making me hungry :hungry:

Something else that bugs me in the hobby - posting pics on other social media platforms just for someone who thinks they know more than me insist that my molt-sexed female E. murinus is a mature male, and having the gaul to act snarky when I assure them she isn't. :penguin:

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
I see. We seem to have transposed definitions of Disagree and Dislike. Your opinion is that abdomens should not be called butts. I disagree, as I find such a name cute. Thus the rating.

As for the failed humor, that might not have been your fault. I'm a high-functioning autistic, so not getting a joke is sadly common for me.

I like that you posted your opinion, because that's the whole purpose of this thread. I simply share a differing one. :)
Hey, just wanted to mention that I'm high-ish functioning autistic too! It's really cool to see someone else on the spectrum who is into spiders!

In terms of pet peeves, it drives me crazy that I'm afraid of my feeders. I'm terrified of roaches, worms aren't much better, and I can just manage to deal with crickets. But when the big ones jump at my face... blergh. Giant hairy 10" tarantula? No problem. But a 1" cricket freaks me right out. WHY AM I LIKE THIS.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
In terms of pet peeves, it drives me crazy that I'm afraid of my feeders. I'm terrified of roaches, worms aren't much better, and I can just manage to deal with crickets. But when the big ones jump at my face... blergh. Giant hairy 10" tarantula? No problem. But a 1" cricket freaks me right out. WHY AM I LIKE THIS.
That was me with true spiders when I first got into the hobby. I was terrified of those (not including Salticidae), but not the much larger spiders with much larger fangs that are Ts.

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
That was me with true spiders when I first got into the hobby. I was terrified of those (not including Salticidae), but not the much larger spiders with much larger fangs that are Ts.
Oh gosh, me too. Admittedly I still jump if I see one unexpectedly. I sometimes handle orb weavers and Steatoda sp. but I'm much more comfortable around my Ts - not that I handle those. Well, except my H. chilensis when I rehouse her because she insists!

Uial

Arachnosquire
I hate how Petshops spread misinformation. Recently I visited a shop that had a half-dead T for sale (It was literally in death curl) that was labeled and I quote: "Brachipelma Vogans" what they actually had was a Chilobrachys fimbriatus. There is no excuse for this.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
1. Wild collection for resale.
I HATE IT.

2. People who think people who name their Ts are stupid.
Hey, I like naming stuff and it isn't hurting you so... stop being mean.

3. Reptile dealers at expo spouting vast amounts of misinformation while handling a T.

4. People who brag about handling Ts.

5. Ts that are almost adult size yet I have somehow managed to not get a sexable molt from them (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, NIMBUS.)

Glass 10 gallon fishtanks.
I love them! LOL

The fact that people feel the need to post comments like that is just lame. I respect that some people don't like spiders (as a former arachnophobe myself), but it would be appreciated if they'd not have to say all that crap in the comments when we clearly love our spiders.

I mean, I don't like dogs very much, but I don't go around commenting bad things on their pictures if I see them. Imagine the reaction if I copied them and commented 'kill it with fire' on one of those. I'd get practically lynched through my phone screen. (Just to be clear, I would never do that and I disapprove of it. Also I don't wish death or suffering or anything like that to dogs; they're just too energetic for me.)
I have used that example before...like, "What if I commented on a photo of your new puppy that you should set it on fire or smash it?" But people still don't get it, of course.

One instance I will always recall was back years ago when I had Facebook, a person tagged me in a photo of a spider they found and were asking me to identify it. They also put, "And please, no comments about killing it... J loves their critters like we love our fluffy pets, so please be respectful." To me, that was amazing... someone who doesn't even like spiders, but understands and respects my passion for them.

I also don't like how dog owners expect you to love their dogs.
I am a "crazy dog person" (handler, trainer, owns a dozen or so) and this drives me insane, too! Like, sorry I don't like your untrained annoying dog!?

On the other hand, I HATE how people think that a dog being out in public equals an open invitation to touch them. I use a Service Dog, have some dogs that are not friendly with strangers, and also am usually training focus... yet people have the nerve to get offended when I tell them not to touch my animals.

3. when a cricket jumps right as you release the tongs and they go flying across the room
... and then a dog eats it :rofl:

This isn't about the hobby itself but the insane ignorance of people who don't keep Ts and think they're like tiny mammals is insane. I've been telling people for a couple of week that I am getting a new spider and without fail every single person goes "Will it like your other one?" "Will they get along?" "Do you keep them in the same cage?" :banghead::banghead::banghead:
I know I shouldn't be angry since they just really have no idea but after hearing it about a dozen times it's gotten annoying.
I get that with my dogs! Why on earth do people think all animals get along?! Arrrgghhhh.

Hey, just wanted to mention that I'm high-ish functioning autistic too! It's really cool to see someone else on the spectrum who is into spiders!
Spectrum T owners for the win!

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Thought of another today, people who handle their Ts because "she's really old and gentle, she trusts me!" or "I only hold her when she feels like it and only then really close to the ground." or "I don't have to worry about her bolting, she's never tried." Like oh give me a break.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Probably already been stated, but when someone responds immediately after you tell them you keep spiders that they're never going to come to your house.

Bold of you to assume I'd invite you to my home in the first place, Sharon.

LittleGiRLy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
- People who handle their Ts
- People Who brag about handling their Ts
- People who post selfies of themselves handling their Ts
- People who post about getting bitten because they were handling their Ts

Last edited:

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
A “de-fanged” tarantula
That one pet store emplyee who recommends an obt for the newbie

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
I hate how Petshops spread misinformation. Recently I visited a shop that had a half-dead T for sale (It was literally in death curl) that was labeled and I quote: "Brachipelma Vogans" what they actually had was a Chilobrachys fimbriatus. There is no excuse for this.
I rated this post funny for brachipelma vogans. Sad that they managed to almost kill it.

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
Probably already been stated, but when someone responds immediately after you tell them you keep spiders that they're never going to come to your house.

Bold of you to assume I'd invite you to my home in the first place, Sharon.
Goddammit, Sharon!

I actually like it when people say they're never coming round mine because of my T's. Firstly, I like my solitude when at home. I rarely invite people over, so it's a great excuse to not have people round when I don't want visitors. Secondly, it sorts the wheat from the chaff. If someone's too scared to go into the same building as a couple of tiny little T's (and snakes in my case), and they're going to make an issue of it, that's their problem to deal with. Not mine.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
1. When I have visiters over and I'm giving them a collection tour, yet none of my inverts that are happily outside their burrows at the same time EVERY OTHER DAY refuse to show themselves.

2. People not just selling WC T's, but advertising them as CB, and then proceeding to name them something stupid like "Selenotypus Banana" (yes, that is genuinely a hobby species that is going around here in Australia).

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
People naming their spiders. I don't understand why, it will never like you or even acknowledge you other than threat posing. Is it just a attempt to feel closer to this thing that will never return the favor? Doesn't bother me as much as I just roll my eyes at it

People who demonize those who feed vertebrate prey. Theres no need to, sure, but we're not sadists who enjoy pain. :rolleyes:

The fanatical following each new attractive species to the hobby has.

Losing specimens for no apparent reason. Nothing to learn from, just more money to spend.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
People naming their spiders. I don't understand why, it will never like you or even acknowledge you other than threat posing. Is it just a attempt to feel closer to this thing that will never return the favor? Doesn't bother me as much as I just roll my eyes at it
I think giving stuff names is just kind of a human thing. Not to imply that anyone who chooses not to name their Ts somehow less human or something - it doesn't bother me either way if someone does or doesn't name a spider. But looking at humans in general, it seems pretty common for us to place a name to something even when it seems pointless; cars and electronics immediately come to mind. Perhaps it is from some subconscious attempt to humanize and relate to something otherwise unrelatable, but what's the harm? It doesn't matter to me if my Ts won't ever have a capacity to even begin to understand the concept of having a name - it's just something I personally find fun and doesn't detract from their well-being, as I'm well aware they couldn't give a rat's bald heinie what I do as long as it isn't bothering them.

Name your T, don't name your T, in the end as long as they're being properly cared for, who cares? Besides, I think we can all agree - the most important name is the scientific name. :p