Things that bug you in the hobby

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Based off of the emote, I think you may be joking here. If so, it went over my head, unfortunately. If not... then I have no idea how to respond without that response coming across (completely unintentionally) as snarky or dickish. My apologies.
I was confused as to why you rated my post disagree, and since I didn't know if you accidentally or purposely did it, I made a feeble attempt at a joke. The post with the rating is one where I say something about myself so that's why that rating confused me. (If it had been a dislike I wouldn't have been confused)

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
People who think spiders are disgusting. Have you ever post something on social media. And there’s is always one friend/ people comment: ewww, kill, release it outside, etch :(
Hey ts never failed to fascinate me. There’s always something new keeping them :)
When I owned my store I used to have a customer that owned property somewhere down south. Every time he came in, which was only two or three times a year, he would tell me about his last trip and how he and his neighbor would go out killing rattlesnakes. He would lay plywood and corrugated tin around his property then he and his neighbor would go out "hunting" One would lift it with a hook and the other would blast away at anything that moved. After a few times hearing this disgusting tale I asked "What in the world makes you think I would be interested in hearing an awful story like that" he stopped telling it and eventually stopped coming in. I wasn't disappointed in the loss of a customer.

Mike Miller

Arachnopeon
Im sure some of these, if not all will already be mentioned, but this is what bothers me most.

1. people who tell me that keeping my tarantula collection is disgusting and weird and they should all be killed
2. mealworms / superworms who get away and burrow in the substrate (I understand you can smash their heads)
3. when a cricket jumps right as you release the tongs and they go flying across the room
4. pet stores who have no business selling spiders with their beyond cringy "husbandry" and enclosure setups.

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
I was confused as to why you rated my post disagree, and since I didn't know if you accidentally or purposely did it, I made a feeble attempt at a joke. The post with the rating is one where I say something about myself so that's why that rating confused me. (If it had been a dislike I wouldn't have been confused)
I see. We seem to have transposed definitions of Disagree and Dislike. Your opinion is that abdomens should not be called butts. I disagree, as I find such a name cute. Thus the rating.

As for the failed humor, that might not have been your fault. I'm a high-functioning autistic, so not getting a joke is sadly common for me.

I like that you posted your opinion, because that's the whole purpose of this thread. I simply share a differing one. :)

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Just starting a chill thread here trying to get some funny responses, who knows, maybe some people might post some interesting things.
I'll start: I hate how I get super excited to get a new animal but then get let down when I realise I will probably never see these animals in the wild.
For me a big one is that although there not Ts orb weavers are absolutely impossible to keep I spent like 20 dollars on a huge tub and hot glued anchor points into the sides and to no avail. As soon as spring comes around I'm trying again

Just starting a chill thread here trying to get some funny responses, who knows, maybe some people might post some interesting things.
I'll start: I hate how I get super excited to get a new animal but then get let down when I realise I will probably never see these animals in the wild.
Another one is people who dont bother to be open minded about Ts and such like I get being afraid but when you just hate them for no good reason it bothers me alot. One of the times I've been most frustrated in the hobby was when I was about to catch a ginormous H carolinensis (my favorite animal BTW) and then a girl in my class tells quote "are you doing spider suff" and crushes iy

Last edited by a moderator:

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
This isn't about the hobby itself but the insane ignorance of people who don't keep Ts and think they're like tiny mammals is insane. I've been telling people for a couple of week that I am getting a new spider and without fail every single person goes "Will it like your other one?" "Will they get along?" "Do you keep them in the same cage?" :banghead::banghead::banghead:
I know I shouldn't be angry since they just really have no idea but after hearing it about a dozen times it's gotten annoying.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
This isn't about the hobby itself but the insane ignorance of people who don't keep Ts and think they're like tiny mammals is insane. I've been telling people for a couple of week that I am getting a new spider and without fail every single person goes "Will it like your other one?" "Will they get along?" "Do you keep them in the same cage?" :banghead::banghead::banghead:
I know I shouldn't be angry since they just really have no idea but after hearing it about a dozen times it's gotten annoying.
Do you just let them roam around or do you put them in cages?

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
Do you just let them roam around or do you put them in cages?
I managed to convince someone I let my P.Ornata have free roam of my home twice a week for exercise. I even convinced them that while it's great watching my T run around the home and be free, it's frustrating when I have to pull the fridge out to fetch her after.

And. They. Believed. Me!!! WTF!!! LMAO!