Things that bug you in the hobby

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
One thing that bugs me in this hobby is the Legendary Names "ARAGOG" and "SHELOB" Hear that name every time in this hobby for everyone's T.'s.
Yeah! Why not Bob, Skip, Stephen, Joyce, Marsha....

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
I named my L. klugi Bob...

Only thing that sort of bugs me is when there is someone new to keeping tarantulas and they start to argue/get defensive when they are not using good methods of keeping and it gets pointed out.

Last edited:

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Of course I don't take the post the wrong way.

I do realise I'm in the tiny minority as most refer to keeping tarantulas as a hobby.

It just doesn't sit right with me personally. Never as and never will.
Fair enough but if you don't mind me asking what would you call it?

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I named my L. klugi Bob...

Only thing that sort of bugs me is when there is someone new to keeping tarantulas and they start to argue/get defensive when they are not using good methods of keeping and it gets pointed out.
I named my male Avic Harry Turq Rozovyy. I call him H.T. Rozovyy. Rozovyy is Russian for pink.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
No other hobbyists within 2 hrs of me (Ohio or indiana) that I know of anyway.

When prospective owners don't do research. That big, fancy looking P. metallica and P. regalis aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That one lone male cricket that always seems to escape and brags about it at 3 in the morning.

cold blood

Staff member
-people's fascination, and desire for communals...drives me nuts.

-humidity...the word has no place in this hobby (yeah basin, I said it)

-handling

-the unreliability of loans...why is it so hard to find someone you can actually trust?

-care sheets

-you tube

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
-people's fascination, and desire for communals...drives me nuts.

-humidity...the word has no place in this hobby (yeah basin, I said it)

-handling

-the unreliability of loans...why is it so hard to find someone you can actually trust?

-care sheets

-you tube
I think it's important to experiment with communals. At the very least, interesting.

Now, it does bother me when a random posts about putting two H gigas together and asking for predictions. :rolleyes:

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
No other hobbyists within 2 hrs of me (Ohio or indiana) that I know of anyway.

When prospective owners don't do research. That big, fancy looking P. metallica and P. regalis aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
Where in OH? I live in Lima about an hour North of Dayton on I-75.

moshpitpanda

Arachnosquire
People calling me cruel and inhumane for putting a sling in a tiny enclosure when they know nothing & are not willing to learn anything about Ts D:

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
Darke county
Darke county isn’t too far from me in Allen. I deer hunt some land there. Well I used to. New owner now that doesn’t like hunters. I guess he likes hitting deer on the highway. I have plenty of private land to hunt in Allen, Hancock and Putnam counties so losing one woods isn’t a big deal.

cold blood

Staff member
It's always important to experiment with things we don't fully understand. That's how we learn.
Interesting perspective, not one I agree with , but that's ok:)

IMO its a known fact that ts are solitary animals that will eat each other if given the opportunity (balfouri excluded). To me its like expermenting with diesel fuel in your Honda Accord....experiment all you want, but we already know the answer before the experiment even began.....JMO.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Interesting perspective, not one I agree with , but that's ok:)

IMO its a known fact that ts are solitary animals that will eat each other if given the opportunity (balfouri excluded). To me its like expermenting with diesel fuel in your Honda Accord....experiment all you want, but we already know the answer before the experiment even began.....JMO.
And how did we find out about M balfouris tolerance to each other? :D

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
But haven't people already experimented with communals and (gasp) ended up with dead spiders?
Yep, but there's different ways they do it. There's many questions we don't know the answers to. Why are some N incei communals successful and some aren't? Do the slings have to be kept with the mom from birth? Can they ever be introduced to each other safely after separating? What are the rules of shipping a communal? Can they be out in separate containers? Etc etc

Why fellow keepers don't thirst for knowledge like this I don't understand.