Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Things that bug you in the hobby

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Vinny2915, Jul 17, 2018.

1. TownesVanZandt

TownesVanZandt Arachnoprince

Advertisement
    Yes, if I am speaking English I do say it like that. Mostly I speak Norwegian though and says laks instead ;)

2. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnodemon

I will let you off, I bet there is plenty of Norwegian words I would butcher :dead:

3. CJJon

CJJon Arachnoknight Active Member

The deal is that clarity is very important as is spelling. Forums such as these are knowledge bases and colloquial variation in names is confusing, especially so due to the international makeup of the membership. We constantly are telling new people to use the search function here to glean information and learn more about the hobby. That is a much more difficult task if everyone is using made up names for animals with no consistency. So yes, in effect, when you write a post it is as if you are writing a journal article. At the very least you are contributing to a knowledge base that is ostensibly saved into perpetuity.

Secretly marking users indeed...:mad:

• Like Like x 3
  4. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Meh... You get a pass if English isn't your first language.

Yeah, it's a silent L in proper English too ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

Marking users? For what? Assassination? o_O

I pronounced the L in English salmon... You secretly use French, did you know that?! :p In French it is 'saumon', which sounds roughly like you would pronounce it when the L is silent.. :hilarious:
    Never knew that it was supposed to be silent :cyclops: oh well, learn something new everyday :)
    I use one -e- in vegetables though.
    In Dutch it is 'zalm' and yes, we pronounce the L.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MintyWood826

MintyWood826 Arachnobaron

USA
    Spelling really isn't that important??!! How can people say that? :arghh:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnoangel Active Member

Are you on the same internet as the rest of us? All social media is primarily people expressing their annoyance. Arachnoboards is actually unusually pleasant.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnodemon

For spelling errors

I did not know this, but that is some really useful information! Thanks!

Man, so high strung. Making an honest mistake is no biggie... It is literally how you learn, Sometimes I have to look up spelling of genus/specie name because I cannot remember it all.

I have eyes and I don't really use social media.

9. Andrea82

I got that part, but what would I use the knowledge of having marks on a person for spelling mistakes for? Assassination?:wacky:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. MintyWood826

MintyWood826 Arachnobaron

USA
    I completely understand making mistakes and I still have trouble spelling some words. I'm sorry, I saw "spelling doesn't really matter" and I freaked out. I'm overly sensitive to people suggesting that spelling/grammar doesn't matter much.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Patherophis

Patherophis Arachnobaron Active Member

I know cure. Repeat after me: "It's opisthosoma. It's opisthosoma. It's opisthosoma. It's opisthosoma. ..." :D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Well, your mother is damn right :yawn:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. CJJon

CJJon Arachnoknight Active Member

Don't apologize. He said "Unless I am writing a paper on tarantulas my spelling really isn't that important".

Nothing in there about making honest mistakes.

Yep, spelling and language do matter. :D

14. sschind

sschind Arachnobaron Old Timer

I had a 15 foot albino Burmese python that my sisters 1st grade class named fluffy.

I use a variety of popular names (Charlotte, Aragog, Shelob) in my shows as it is another way to help kids get interested. My first spider (L. parahybana sling) I named Kumonga but no one ever got the reference. I also had a huge crayfish named Ebirah and a praying mantis named Kamacuras but those also got blank stares from all but the most sophisticated movie aficionados.

if I were speaking Norwegian I would probably say aks

So do I I tell my kids "now sit down and eat your vg-ta-bless"

Honest mistakes are acceptable and you are right we do learn that way but only if those mistakes are pointed out and we are exposed to the correct spelling. I often have to look up the spelling of certain words but when it comes to genus/species names I feel I have an obligation to do so. Pronunciation on the other hand...that's a whole different story.

Yeah but opisthosoma doesn't make first graders giggle nearly as much. When I am talking about snake genetics in one of my shows I bring out an albino corn snake and I will say "now this is an albino" when I bring out the next one I'll say "the last one was an albino, that's pretty easy to say...everyone try it (they all say albino) now this one is a bit tougher...its an anerythristic" and they proceed to butcher it. Then I say "remember that it will be on the test" and they all freak out and say "there's going to be a test?"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

IMO 'Fluffy', as a name, has still more dignity than mainstream 'Aragog' and 'Shelog'.

At least 'Fluffy' can be anyway the name of a twisted, sick, perverted, deranged, crazy thing/person :writer:

ih ih :) :playful:

16. I can get behind Aragog and Shelog, tbh, atleast if you have a theme when it comes to names, my only T is called Minerva, next one will be Mosag (Aragog's Wife) and then if i get a completely dark brown ill name that one aragog as im trying to keep everything Harry Potter themed, and if my current one turns out to be a male imma change it to Albus or Percival :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Andrea82

Lol, no. Afaik, you're supposed to say 'veg-tables' , and not 'veg-e-tables'. Sort of. 'groenten' works fine for me :angelic:

18. Little my

Little my Arachnopeon

Proof that most T owners are just like there T's

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Every single helicopter owner that asks

“Is my T in pre-molt????”

@Teal

• Award Award x 1
  20. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.