things not going to plan, and plan 'B' is pretty weak so far..

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so, i presume a few of you know about my H.lividum eggsack as ive kinda spammed about it :p

but.... despite all your good suggestions, the egg still remains with the female... the best way to remove it now is to simply get a spade and dig through the roof then improvise from there with assorted tools to obtain the egg... though in my opinion, removing a section of the roof will result in the rest 'caving' downwards onto the spider and egg, will this drastically harm them? I've observed mild cave ins on the spider and that doesnt seem to fussed about it...

my 'plan B' is to leave the egg in there with her, my brother keeps on whining about how the spider is a better mother than i am (which is true). My two main arguements to this are:

1) if i cant remove a single egg, how will i remove all the smaller babies?
2) the general welfare of the babies... im sure my incubator is more hygenic and i know i can feed it easier. So im guessing incubator = lower mortality rate

so should i take shovel to the roof?

thanks for your advice, sorry to keep on this subject but im really cautious with it being my first egg.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have NO experience with the H lividum regarding eggsacs, but sounds like you have two options:
1) try to separate mom and eggsac
2) leave eggsac with mom to incubate.

If it were me, I'd leave it for AT LEAST the first 30 days. After that, depending on how much of an absolute pain it is, I'd either pull it, or leave it.
If you decide to pull it, the easiest and safest way is to remove mom first, not to try and get the eggsac from her. This may result in her getting hurt, and you getting bitten!
Once mom is out of the way, you could even turn the container on it's side, so that the substrate doesn't fall DOWN on it, does that make sense?
I don't know the incubation period for this species either.
At 1st instar, they will hang around the eggsac, they are not very mobile, although they have all 8 legs, their little abdomens are quite fat and round, and they are clumsy. None of mine have eaten at 1st instar either. It's once they molt into 2nd instar that you have to watch out. They become real little spiders, fast as hell, and hard to catch!
Hope this helps somewhat, again, I am not sure what I'd do in your situation

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cheers!

yeah the egg is 34 days now,

she's in a long tunnel that runs down one side (in line with the full heat mat) and goes in the corner firthests from what was once the entrance

earlier i came up with the idea of re-open the burrows natural entrance, then when she and egg go into the entrance tunnel, collapse the other side of the tunnel, so that she cant go back into it. Then from their improvise until she comes fully out the nest so i can bag her

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Would it be possible to stick something down the burrow and just piss her off enough for her to come out in the open? Once out you could quickly put a deli cup over her and grab the sac.

:::disclaimer::: I am not an expert, and have never had an eggsac so anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt :) :::

Leanne

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know I'm a T newbie momma and all that but I would have to stick with LPacker79 on this from just what I've read and such.
A few long pipe cleaners and a cricket, Piss her off, coax her out and tent her gently with a deli cup. Even if you end up tenting her with the eggs sack you can block her retreat back down into her burrow. Then you can maybe bait and switch her with another cricket ( She'll prolly want Something's head at this point." And retent her or snag the sack while she's going berserko.
Just be gentle so as not to hurt her.

But, I admit I know NOTHING of egg sacks and T's.

Just be careful.
And good luck.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cheers people!

ill give it a shot tomorow then, if that fails, i'll admit defeat and resort to leaving the egg with her..

by the way, is a deli cup just your average plastic container thats cup shaped? i've heard of them loads but not entirley sure what it is :p maybe its an American thing ?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yep, it's a clear plastic round container that holds foods (and of course ts!)
comes in all sizes too.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Originally posted by deifiler
cheers people!

ill give it a shot tomorow then, if that fails, i'll admit defeat and resort to leaving the egg with her..

by the way, is a deli cup just your average plastic container thats cup shaped? i've heard of them loads but not entirley sure what it is :p maybe its an American thing ?
yeah, its pretty much a round plastic cup:D
good luck with the sac, i have no info on sacs,
i just let the wiser people do the talking! but
i do know what a delicup is! :) =D =D

James

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Deifiler, an empty cricket box might also come in handy. I have stacks of them I keep for moving spiders about and keeping old skins in.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Many pet stores taht sell bulk fish food have hundreds of deli cups which are perfect sizes to house spiderlings in. I would recommend getting a bunch frmo them. I can get the for free here.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
RE

i don't know if this helps but, if you try to get her out and stress her out then decide to leave her in there... she may eat the egg sac from being messed with , i'm not sure but if your gonna attempt to take her out i would make sure that she does get taken away from them otherwise she may eat them--Jeff