They're NOT Poisonous!!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I was in a first aid class for cub scout leadership today and was doing great until we got to "poisonous animals". You know, like scorpions, snakes, and spiders. :shifty:

Then we learned about another animal you might come across in the wild that can bite: tarantulas. Not to worry though, they don't have poison.

I must have made a funny face though, because they assured me it was true. :banghead: They did note that they do have hairs they flick that are itchy.

Well at least they got that right...

I know it's semantics, but it kills me.

user 666

Arachnobaron
if the scout leaders said tarantulas were poisonous then they were wrong all around.

They're venomous, not poisonous.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I get fed up with this and to be honest now I say "I'll make a bet of £1000 that you can eat a tarantula and not be poisoned but you won't be able to do the same with a non- edible mushroom without being sick and if you can I'll double the money" I get a lot of confused looks but at least it makes them think

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Just ignorance and no reason most people would know the difference. I'd just let it slide. I think I'd rather be the person who said poisonous instead of venomous than to be that person who corrects others. Just me. Same with grammar and spelling police -- I may know better but it's not worth correcting someone if I can decipher their meaning.
I am getting old and boring, I guess. lol :bored:

user 666

Arachnobaron
Just ignorance and no reason most people would know the difference. I'd just let it slide. I think I'd rather be the person who said poisonous instead of venomous than to be that person who corrects others. Just me. Same with grammar and spelling police -- I may know better but it's not worth correcting someone if I can decipher their meaning.
It doesn't matter in regular conversation, no, although I might trot it out a correction if an ignorant fool starts getting annoying while spouting nonsense about T.

But the OP wasn't talking about a regular situation; this was cub scouts. The kids get badges on this stuff, so when a scout leader is wrong they need to be corrected.

The same goes for a teacher in a classroom.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Change your 'location' from U.S to Italy, and life would smile... here is the same, basically. 'venomous', 'poisonous', same meaning, lol, differences are in details :-s

Or beat the culprit with an iron baseball bat wrapped in noble iron wire, and whistle 'Halleluja, Yankee Doodle' after :)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
It doesn't matter in regular conversation, no, although I might trot it out a correction if an ignorant fool starts getting annoying while spouting nonsense about T.

But the OP wasn't talking about a regular situation; this was cub scouts. The kids get badges on this stuff, so when a scout leader is wrong they need to be corrected.

The same goes for a teacher in a classroom.
I think if one scout showed an interest, you could later discuss the joys of owning a T with them; and in that conversation just use the word venomous yourself without ever mentioning the scout leader had incorrectly used "poisonous" in error. It could come up in a "most of their venom is geared towards killing insects, but some species have venom that can cause illness in humans... blah blah blah."
I just wouldn't call someone out on it, yannoe? But especially in front of others. And especially a figure of respect like a leader. Now, you could say "Hey -- I love Ts, and it's true that some are indeed venomous towards humans..." but again, without actually spelling out yours is a correction of their usage. I mean, if it's really important to you to do so or you seriously felt it needed clarification.
Peace!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, now I feel like a jerk...:embarrassed:

I explained that tarantulas are indeed venomous (I didn't correct venom vs. poison so maybe not a total jerk) but that none are fatal.

I also threw in that ones from our continent are not likely to hurt worse than a bee sting (I didnt want to mention some more potent T's... *cough* Psalmopoeus) so unless they travel to Asia, tarantula bites aren't likely to kick your butt.

In retrospect, it probably wasn't necessary, but at least I didn't start dropping scientific names. It wasn't to make him look stupid, but I can see how it might have come across that way. I guess I'll apologize tomorrow in private.
Good news is that they all know I have a strange hobby...:astonished:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Well, now I feel like a jerk...:embarrassed:
Nah - we all handle things in our own way - sounds like you were educational. And you're passionate for the hobby!
And unless you picked up some negative vibes; scout leader maybe didn't even care, so you may not need to say anything more re: 'poisonous creatures' discussion.
All my life I've heard this quote: "least said, soonest mended."

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you wanted to be really picky, or educational, you could have pointed out that tarantulas do not have hair.
Lol, after I said I kept tarantulas and got that "the hell did he just say he keeps?!" look, =>:eek:
I'd venture to say they aren't interested in learning much more about tarantulas.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Honestly, if it had been me, I would've made myself look like the biggest jerk in the world if it meant those kids didnt try to pick up a potentially harmful animal because some dude told em they were safe. The venom may not be very bad for adults (for most species theyll be able to find in their yards, anyways) but a childs body may handle it worse. I'd feel like more of a jerk if I let that happen. Id sooner make dude look stupid in front of his grandma than let HIM let that happen. But. Thats just me. Of course, I'd attempt the mature polite way first. But sometimes that doesnt get it across.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
If you wanted to be really picky, or educational, you could have pointed out that tarantulas do not have hair.
And you'd have setae a good example on how to educate!

(and I didn't even backspace over this -- I'll be here all week folks!) o_O

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
I mean they were half right, tarantulas (as well as most spiders and snakes) are venomous not poisonous. Things that inject venom through stings or bites are venomous, things that are harmful when ingested are poisonous.

Long story short: If you bite it and die, it is poisonous; if it bites you and you die, it is venomous. ;)

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
I mean it's not to be irritating or annoying as much as it is to be informative, I try to make my replies humorous so that the OP is informed but doesn't feel attacked. When is comes to knowledge, its usually better to correct someone so that they make sure the spread the correct information, especially to children, about potential harms.

boina

Lady of the mites
German is much easier - just one word for both :p

(It took me a while to figure out that there's two words in English and understand the difference o_O)

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
German is much easier - just one word for both :p

(It took me a while to figure out that there's two words in English and understand the difference o_O)
Same here, learned it on this board not long ago, actually.

As usual -> German efficiency: One word only. Das ist genug! :bored: