They look ready to breed... But is it too soon?

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have had my MM A. versi for about 2 weeks. My female just got dilevered this morning. She has not eaten since she got here and neither has he. (although the female is a good weight) They are curently meeting eachother for the first time, seperated by a peice of panty hose. They are both drumming and look very interested in breeding. They have only been in this setup for about half an hour. Should I breed them while they look interested or wait? I saw the male make a sperm web three days ago, he matured on 12/20/10. This is my first breeding, and I cant realy aford a new make if he gets chomped.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
from what i know it's kinda rare for female versi's munch their mate it doesn't mean it doesn't happen but doesn't happen often i'd say if their drumming go for it just have something like a popsicle stick ready to seperate them if the female decides she'd rather have a snack than a boyfriend

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have no idea what the above poster said...run-on sentences make my head explode.

How do you know your female is really a female? The last time someone sold me a 'guaranteed female' A. versicolor, it was confirmed male with its next molt, and had hooks and bulbs two molts later.

Before you ask, yes, a mature male will try to mate with an immature male.

If you know without a doubt that your spider is female, I suppose you could try pairing them now. You shouldn't have even let them 'get to know each other' this early - I feel it's more important that you get the female housed and comfortable so she will be more willing to breed and lay a sac.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not as in gay males. As in all they know is it's another spider and they want to breed with it.

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well they were both showing intrest in each other with their enclosures side by side. I put them in my bath tub after about half an hour of them drumming and despratly trying to find a way to get to each other. They whent at it right away. The female was very submisive and no signs of agression where seen. No gay tarantulas here.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'll ask again...how do you know your female is actually female?

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She was garenteed 100% buy the guy I bought her from. Sexed via molt. I also looked at her ventral and she appears female. She also let the male insert his pedipalps in her.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congratulations!

You know, my first t was a mature male Rio Grande Gold Aphonopelma species. He was matured already when I got him. All he wanted to do was get out of his tank and sit on me. When I was first getting used to handling him he started doing a weird dance on my arm and slapping my arm with his first pair of legs. Kinda shook me up, I didn't know what he was doing, all that vibrating and shaking! Thought he was going to bite me. So I called up a friend big in the hobby and he told me he was surprised, asked if there were any female t's around (there weren't), and then concluded I must smell like a female tarantula to him, since he was flirting with me! :eek:

Lorum

Arachnosquire
Before you ask, yes, a mature male will try to mate with an immature male.
They will most certainly not! :embarrassed:
These are two Theraphosa males. The owner didn't sex them (I wonder, properly or at all?:rolleyes:), and the "I'm-gonna-eat-you-if-you-try-to-mate-with-me" one matured within next molt. It is obvious that the mature male was trying to mate with the immature one.

[youtube]av8_66Pvpkg[/youtube]​

Last edited:

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
These are two Theraphosa males. The owner didn't sex them (properly or at all?:rolleyes:), and the "I'm-gonna-eat-you-if-you-try-to-mate-with-me" one matured within next molt. It is obvious that the mature male was trying to mate with the immature one.

[youtube]av8_66Pvpkg[/youtube]
Yes, I agreed with Joe. I was poking fun at what I thought was a typo, realized that the 'typo' was true as well. Infallible Joe! ;P