They finally ate!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Holy hell.

Holy hell.

I haven't been this stressed about slings in ages. I got three A. ezendami and two P. cambridgei 2i/3i slings from @cold blood awhile ago, and they've hardly eaten since I received them. In fact, both P. cambridgei molted over two weeks ago and have yet to eat - note that they hadn't eaten even before the molt. The A. ezendami have gone even longer. I've offered everything: mealworms, waxworms, dubias, and crickets, all of varying sizes and all at various stages of prekilled. No dice. All slings seemed interested, but never actually took anything down. This has been going on for quite some time, and unfortunately, I lost an A. ezendami during the time that I've been trying to figure it out.

Today, in an act of desperation, I figured it out. I moved all of them into my bathroom, which is kept roughly 70-75F versus the 80-85F that my T room is in. I did this to give them a blast of humidity from the shower, but several circumstances led to me not showering this morning. When I put them in there, I also offered dubia nymphs without a crushed head. That is, 100% alive and thriving. I checked in on them a few hours later to find all of them happily munching on a roach. Either they appreciate the cooler environment or they want me to stop crushing heads. Either way, four slings across two species don't lie. They're going to stay in my bathroom until they're juvies.

Ah. Such a relief. Sorry for the rant, I'm just wildly excited about this. I'm pretty disappointed in losing one of the ezendami's, but I'm extremely happy about figuring out the issue.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Great news, glad you got them to eat. The live food is probably the key to them eating. While I have many slings that eat prekilled items. Some of them just need to get kick started with a few live meals.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
I have a 3i H. mac that eats nothing but pre kills. It's kind of amusing, I feel like it's butler.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Great news, glad you got them to eat. The live food is probably the key to them eating. While I have many slings that eat prekilled items. Some of them just need to get kick started with a few live meals.
What's strange is that the prey is still kicking! But you're not kidding. That P. scrofa insists on food items larger than itself. It won't even investigate proper-sized meals :rolleyes:

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
I know! Those scrofa have an insane feeding response. I'm always excited to sit down and feed those guys. Doesn't matter there's 90 of them. It's just a fun night watching them jump and tumble their prey.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have an ezendami from the same person. I have the same experience, it doesn't want to eat that much at all. It has molted once so far though. But for a sling, the feeding frequency is far below any I've owned so far.

FYI @EulersK my ezen, is kept at 75 day/68 night

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I have an ezendami from the same person. I have the same experience, it doesn't want to eat that much at all. It has molted once so far though. But for a sling, the feeding frequency is far below any I've owned so far.

FYI @EulersK my ezen, is kept at 75 day/68 night
I'm wondering if I'm just keeping these slings too warm. Is that a possibility?

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I got three tarantulas off cold blood, including a p camridgei. they all take food every time I feed them, which is small crickets 2 timess a weekm I keep my spider room 73 at all times, with space heater to regulate it. made a vertical container for the cam and added one single piece of corkbark, which it webbed up andd lives in. also put in two bottle caps as water dishes and I mist one side every three days.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been showering.....:wideyed:

In all seriousness, years ago I used to keep my T room in the 81-83 range. I moved to a 77-79 range about 15 years ago and have had much better success.

Travis21v4

Arachnopeon
Ughh. Diet slings... the worry is always strong. I have definitely had this issue, especially with avic slings.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I got a A. ezendami juvie female from CB and she eats like a machine. I've only had to take out un-eaten prey a few times since I got her.

The 7 N.incei slings I got from him are all good eaters. The golds are growing much faster than the olives.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
I have the rest of the sac from CB 34 in all I believe. Haven't had any problems. They eat everything I give them. My room temps are pretty warm 78-84 degrees but hovers about 82. Just depends on time of day.

cold blood

Staff member
When i feed pre kill, i get about a 50% response. When i use live pinheads its like 90%. I also feed the ezendami a lot less...like every 8 to 14 days.

By the time they get an inch and a half though, they reallt are great eaters like trenor said.