They are slowly taking over my life

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Well back in september I wish I knew how addictive this hobby was. That being said I just purchased 2 new slings. I got an A. Geniculata and a B. Albopilosum. These new little creatures mark my 4th and 5th tarantulas. Dont worry because I only want about 100 more.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I applaud your self-control. I would have bought the 100 Ts over that same time span.

I only really got into Ts in December, and I own several dozen already.

patriotgator

Arachnopeon
Haha I'm right there with you. I got my first in March and now I have 5 and can't wait to get more.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
Lol! I started out with just one tiny sling. It didnt take long until I had to have more, my current collection is at 16 Ts and some scorpions, with a few more on the way next week. :p

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The addiction is real. Tarantulas are a gateway drug. Sure, you'll never stop expanding, but you'll eventually search for the same rush you once got when you started. All of the sudden you've got colonies of roaches, cleanup crews, some centipedes, more than a few millipedes, and now you're eyeing that fancy orange scorpion.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I bought my first T as a birthday present to myself thinking "oh having 1 tarantula will be kinda fun", now im basically hiding in ally ways scraching my neck and saying "y'all got any more of them slings" lol

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When I was given my first tarantula (a B. albopilosum sling) I just wanted one to show my students - and I wasn't altogether certain I even wanted that one! I thought, "Why would anybody need more than one big, hairy spider?"

I now have close to 30 tarantulas... and I still want more! (And that's not even counting all the centipedes, millipedes, scorpions, whip spiders, true spiders, and insects!) There is an entire room in my house dedicated to inverts (and a few reptiles) - and I'm running out of room.

My name is Chanda... and I'm an arachnoholic.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I just purchased those 2 T's but ive been wanting to get an arboreal soon as well. Luckily the classifieds on here have good prices..... I think i need help

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Don't fight it, embrace it, the hobby is like sodas in that they are addicting. Difference is the addiction the soda is easy to overcome, but the tarantula hobby is not so easy.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I went from 1 sling two months ago to now: 13 slings (of various sizes), 1 juvenile, and 2 sub-adults.

Since I live at home (still :() my father doesn't like all "my spiders crawling all over the house!" (which they're not), so he only knows about 3 of them. Can't wait to get kicked out of the house eventually.

My dad's birthday is coming up soon and I was thinking I should get him a sling as a gift, which means I would end up taking care of said sling. Or something tarantula-related.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
Yeah, I'm right there with you all lol. I started out in early Feb with a B. albo sling (and my husband got a B. vagans sling at the same time), two weeks later, we got 2 A. avic juvie/subadults. Right now, my personal collection is at 7 (6 slings of various sp. and a subadult avic), although that is nowhere NEAR the number of Ts in my house... My husband has 7 of his own, and my two kids each have 2 Ts of their own (which I take care of right now, although they're learning :embarrassed:). Tarantulas are TOTALLY addicting... I just received a large order of slings recently, and have already added to my wish list for the future lol. :happy:

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Hi guys, my name is James. My addiction began by getting conned by a dealer. She found out that my T molted into a MM, and traded me two juveniles so she could breed him. I've been buying one every couple of months since...

Love the A. genic, never passes on leftovers :)

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
I started February of last year with a B smithi and that was intended to be my only spider, then February this year I got a desire for a webber and bought a GBB. That set off the addiction and opened the flood gates. About a month later I bought 4 more tarantulas(and lost one the first week) and have at least 3 more lined up to get at a show next week, putting me up to at least 8 so far... though I kinda want to round up to an even 10... or a dozen... The addiction is real...

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
The only thing that stops me from buying more tarantulas is extremely limited space.

That being said, an empty enclosure is a terrible temptation, and I am looking forward to putting a Psalmopoeus cambridgei in it.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I started in June of last year, I thought "It's coming up to my bornday, I'm gonna treat myself to a Tarantula" and got a B. albopilosum.

Fast forward 10 months and I have 22 plus a scorpion.

Erm... :embarrassed:

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
The first step on the road to addiction recovery,is to admit you have an issue..
Well,CRAP,that didn't work!!!