They are here! - and not doing too well...

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah, I think that dorsal stripe is a bit weak, but it's there. She's about 3 3/4, or as close to that as I could measure her, so hopefully it will become more prominent after the next molt and she's just a bit late developing her full pattern, instead of washing out completely... :anxious:. She's my first Pokie, so basically I've no clue.
At that size it usually starts getting obvious. I may be just a little paranoid, but when it molts you will know for sure!
Hard to judge the size of the T from that pic but it looks alot like most males of that species at roughly that size. It should be obvious in the next molt if it washes out more and gets greener.
Yeah exactly, let's hope it pulls a 180 on us next molt. I'd hate for her to have gotten a male when buying a sexed spider, nothing bothers me more when sellers try to pass males as females.

boina

Lady of the mites
At that size it usually starts getting obvious. I may be just a little paranoid, but when it molts you will know for sure!

Yeah exactly, let's hope it pulls a 180 on us next molt. I'd hate for her to have gotten a male when buying a sexed spider, nothing bothers me more when sellers try to pass males as females.
Actually I also have a ventral pic from when the spider was trying to climb and I compared it to everything I could find on the web. Looks male. I just sent the seller a very polite email that I think it's a male.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Actually I also have a ventral pic from when the spider was trying to climb and I compared it to everything I could find on the web. Looks male. I just sent the seller a very polite email that I think it's a male.
Can you share the ventral pic?

boina

Lady of the mites
Definitely looks male. Sorry :(
:grumpy:.

I hate this. Now I've to persuade the seller to send me female (don't know, but might prove difficult) and I'm not sending the male back, so I've to buy another enclosure.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
This is a lot of speculation with very little proof. I'd personally take a well lit photo of the T stretched out from the top and tag Advan. Get his take on it and make sure you're right before going in accusing the seller who may not be in the wrong.

Personally, I think the photo you posted at the beginning has a darker patterned than my male ever did. I can't find the earlier photos, so I can't be sure. That's why I didn't say anything before. Maybe I'll pull up some when I get home.

As far as vent sexing goes, I find it a mixed bag at best. People told me multiple times my P.met was a male (not one female response) and when I got a good molt it was female. Vent to me is usually just best guess and isn't very reliable unless the T is older and big.

If it does turn out to be a male the seller should make up for the error. If it is a male.

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
This is a lot of speculation with very little proof. I'd personally take a well lit photo of the T stretched out from the top and tag Advan. Get his take on it and make sure you're right before going in accusing the seller who may not be in the wrong.

Personally, I think the photo you posted at the beginning has a darker patterned than my male ever did. I can't find the earlier photos, so I can't be sure. That's why I didn't say anything eariler. Maybe I'll pull up some when I get home.

As far as vent sexing goes, I find it a mixed bag at best. People told me multiple times my P.met was a male (not one female response) and when I got a good molt it was female. Vent to me is usually just best guess and isn't very reliable unless the T is older and big.

If it does turn out to be a male the seller should make up for the error. If it is a male.
Don't worry, I just sent a very polite email asking if he was sure it was female :). So you think I can still hope? Ok, I'll hope ;).

cold blood

Staff member
id leave it. these things grow like crazy. itll be good in a few molts.
Yeah pokies not only grow fast, but they are fast and great hunters...they do just fine with extra room, I wouldn't worry about the space...even male ornata get very large.

I wouldn't re-house...best to just let it acclimate.
Yeah, I think that dorsal stripe is a bit weak, but it's there. She's about 3 3/4, or as close to that as I could measure her, so hopefully it will become more prominent after the next molt and she's just a bit late developing her full pattern, instead of washing out completely... :anxious:. She's my first Pokie, so basically I've no clue.
I'm with @Trenor on this one. Gotta be sure.....At that size I would expect less dorsal banding on a male, but ventrally I would expect a female to be much "lippier". Even the best can be fooled from time to time.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Don't worry, I just sent a very polite email asking if he was sure it was female :). So you think I can still hope? Ok, I'll hope ;).
I think it way too early to think you were duped. Get a really well lit shot of the top and get Advan's take on it. I'll try to find those earlier shots of mine when he was that size once I get home.

boina

Lady of the mites
Here is the post @14pokies mentioned earlier.

Take a look at the 3 inch male in the 1st post. There is almost no banding at all on the carapace which was the same with mine.
Yeah, I already looked at that thread. Mine is somewhere in the middle: Not such a dark pattern as the female, but more than the male. A well lit shot is rather difficult at the moment since it has retreated behind the bark...

14pokies

Arachnoprince

Me too I got scammed a few months back. Luckily I was able to find people that had females so I got what I put into them back..

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Ok,from someone who knows nothing,about anything, except what I have learned from very wise keepers here,(AB),
leave it.
If she dosent like it,she will open the enclosure,and tap you on the shoulder one night,
"Hey!!.I need new digs".:eek: