these are the reasons I love planted enclosures......

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
.................I prefer to use corkbark over wood from outdoors though. not knocking it, I just like cork bark better................
It has a nice texture doesn't it? I can't find any bark outdoors in Ohio as appealing as corkbark.

lampeye

Arachnopeon
As a plant guy, I'd like to make some suggestions for some tremendously underrated/underused vivarium plants. Rhaphidophora tetrasperma has to be at the top of the list. GIS it for images aplenty. It think its "problem" is that it looks too much like the colossal and slow-growing Monstera deliciosa, but R. tetrasperma is a pothos-fast vine that stays pothos-sized. In fact, if you've ever seen a mature pothos, it stays smaller than that. And it makes an all-but-unkillable houseplant. Get some - this plant deserves to be spread around.

Any of the Rhipsalis are highly underrated as vivarium plants (or even aviary plants, as they are non-toxic if ingested), especially R. crispata (the trickier R, crispimarginata, isn't bad either), R. pachyptera and R. elliptica. I can give a personal seal of approval for all three, but they do need good light.

Cryptanthus is a great genus of mostly small to medium terrestrial bromeliads. Great colors, and I'd imagine they're good for stabilizing substrate for burrowers when heavily planted. Michael's Bormeliads is a good source.

Anyway, I got carried away here as I was just trying to push R. tetrasperma as a substitute for the yawn-worthy but ever-popular pothos.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As a plant guy, I'd like to make some suggestions for some tremendously underrated/underused vivarium plants. Rhaphidophora tetrasperma has to be at the top of the list. GIS it for images aplenty. It think its "problem" is that it looks too much like the colossal and slow-growing Monstera deliciosa, but R. tetrasperma is a pothos-fast vine that stays pothos-sized. In fact, if you've ever seen a mature pothos, it stays smaller than that. And it makes an all-but-unkillable houseplant. Get some - this plant deserves to be spread around.

Any of the Rhipsalis are highly underrated as vivarium plants (or even aviary plants, as they are non-toxic if ingested), especially R. crispata (the trickier R, crispimarginata, isn't bad either), R. pachyptera and R. elliptica. I can give a personal seal of approval for all three, but they do need good light.

Cryptanthus is a great genus of mostly small to medium terrestrial bromeliads. Great colors, and I'd imagine they're good for stabilizing substrate for burrowers when heavily planted. Michael's Bormeliads is a good source.

Anyway, I got carried away here as I was just trying to push R. tetrasperma as a substitute for the yawn-worthy but ever-popular pothos.
We will be keeping our eyes open for the Monstera deliciosa and thank you for the other suggestions as well. We are always looking for different plants to use other than pothos. The enclosures all tend to look alike if pothos is all you use. We like the enclosures to be as different as the Ts housed in them. :)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mr. John, what kind of lighting do you have on that croton and how long have you had it in that enclosure? It is a beautifully colorful plant that would be a neat addition to an enclosure, though I do wonder about the lighting for it. Beautiful enclosure! :)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are a couple more of our planted enclosures. We got some new plants to add to them and took pics in the process.

P. cambridgei (Lilith) We removed the wandering jew from this enclosure and added more greenery instead.

H. sp.Vietnam (Oblivion) This is our most established enclosure, but we wanted something besides just pothos in it.

If you have pictures of planted enclosures, please add them! I enjoy seeing the variety of plants that others use. :)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I love the P. cam enclosure curious! Especialy the water dish. I am in dire need of raising my water dishes. My psalmos are always making a mess of them.. Great thread btw. Beautiful enclosures! :}

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love the P. cam enclosure curious! Especialy the water dish. I am in dire need of raising my water dishes. My psalmos are always making a mess of them.. Great thread btw. Beautiful enclosures! :}
That stump caught my eye walking through the woods and once the top was cut off, it was perfect for a water dish, so thank you.

Thank you for the compliment, though I keep hoping to pull others out of the woodwork to post pics of theirs. A few takers so far, but I know there are more out there! :)

Rue

Arachnoknight
I agree..beautiful enclosure!:worship:

How do you clean it?

SpidSquid

Arachnopeon
Isopods in a T enclosure help the plants in someway, right? I'm not a plant person, but have been really wanting to add some to my girl's tanks. I'm heading to Lowe's tonight for lumber...add something else to the list, lol!