Thermostats

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm thinking of getting some thermostats for my more valued bugs, do you guys have any specific ones you would suggest?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Actually none, you are better off getting something that monitors the temperature of the whole room. Those tend to be 1000 time more accurate then the little gauges that go in separate tanks. In my room I have a temp gauge higher where my new shelving is going to be, and one near the baseboards. That way I get an idea of the average in the room.

Tacoman

Arachnopeon
But what if u have heaters for individuals tanks would?

That wouldnt give an accurate measure of temp. for that individual tank.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, you see I set up tanks individually and don't really believe in that whole room temp thing. Different species come from different climate types and I try to simulate them. My collection is small enough for me to be able to do this.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont use Thermostats for my T's but I do use them for my boa constrictor. For a good thermostat I would recommend either Johnson or Ranco. Both are usually about $75-100 depending on where you get them.

Any of the cheaper ones arent really any good to be worth buying, and the more expensive ones are........well more expensive

Tacoman

Arachnopeon
Well i decide to buy a infared thermostat thing where it measures the temp. I just check 3 times a day to make sure it is good. That seems to work best but i also have a small collection...

So someone with a large collection it might not work for...

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In all honesty, most, if not ALL, T's can thrive on generally the same temperature. it's just the HUMIDITY differences that you will need to keep an eye on. i'm sure there are some nice digital gauges you can find online. i would go to a specialty website dedicated to just that though since i'm sure your local reptile or pet store will generally have cheaper models.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In all honesty, most, if not ALL, T's can thrive on generally the same temperature. it's just the HUMIDITY differences that you will need to keep an eye on. i'm sure there are some nice digital gauges you can find online. i would go to a specialty website dedicated to just that though since i'm sure your local reptile or pet store will generally have cheaper models.
Speak for yourself southern cali....... trade me places here in northern oregon and see how easy it is to hold a constant temp in an apartment in the dead of winter. :}

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Speak for yourself southern cali....... trade me places here in northern oregon and see how easy it is to hold a constant temp in an apartment in the dead of winter. :}
well i'm sure you've heard of a space heater with built in thermometer. ;P

but judging by where this guy lives (brisbane, AU), the temperatures there probably don't differ all that much from SoCal temps.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i'm sure you've heard of a space heater with built in thermometer. ;P

but judging by where this guy lives (brisbane, AU), the temperatures there probably don't differ all that much from SoCal temps.
Hah, no I'm only in Brisbane temporarily for school, I live in New England in the states still and won't be moving for some years still.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hah, no I'm only in Brisbane temporarily for school, I live in New England in the states still and won't be moving for some years still.
well in that case, check the internet for temperature monitors. i can't recommend any specific brand since i don't need one, but digital ones might be the best bet.