There's a storm a brewin'....

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
So Western Washington is going to be slammed with some major storms through the weekend. I imagine we will lose power. My Ts live in my office which is rather cold this time of year and a space heater kicks on to keep them warm. I'm thinking of bringing them home for the weekend. Any recommendations in how to keep them warm if we lose power? Could I keep their enclosures in an insulated box or something? I have 2 E sp red (one a sling) and a larger sling Aphonophelma Anax. My understanding is they all do ok with cooler temps, but probably not as low as it would get with a long power outage.

For the mammals, we all bundle up in bed and snuggle when it is too cold. I don't think my Ts will be into that.

Thanks for any ideas on this.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Thank you! I searched for this question and couldn't find. My house is all electric and without power the temps will drop to the 50s, if not lower. I ordered some of the heat packs which will hopefully arrive before the storm. I'll plan to bring my Ts home this weekend for a visit! Is it ok to keep them in their enclosures? I was planning on putting the enclosures in a box stuffed with a blanket (so they don't move much) and driving quite carefully. It's only a 5 mile trip.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Should be fine to transport them like that, provided there are no heavy objects in the enclosures that could topple.
You could use the heatpacjs, but be careful not to put them directly on the enclosure. These things heat up to 60°C! Put sheets or styrofoam between the packs and the enclosures.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
If you have a insulated cooler, even a cheap Styrofoam one, you can use the heat packs or a hot water bottle to keep the inside of the cooler warm for your 3 T's enclosures. As stated don't let the heat packs directly touch the enclosures.
I have had to deal with power outages here in Auburn last winter and I am glad i have a wood stove. I don't have enough coolers for my 140 T's