There's a psycho in the bunch!

Karmaz

Arachnopeon
I have 4 LP slings, I only had large crickets, so last night I chopped the heads off and gave 1 to each sling. I was worried they would reject them because they are used to live food. I opened the containers this morning to find that 2 had happily drug their crickets into their hides and eaten. But, the fiesty one who bull rushes me every time he even thinks the lid is off didn't eat his cricket. Instead there were cricket pieces all over his enclosure and what appeared to be cricket guts all over the wall closest to his hide. Never seen a T do this before, he's a little bit unstable though.

Last edited:

Prle

Arachnopeon
Crazy little fella.

I think Freddy is right name for him - if it's a male.

Last edited:

Karmaz

Arachnopeon
My fiance named him Zeus.. No idea on gender yet.. I call them all he until I know they're female lol. Naming them helps keep track of who's who and peraonalities/preferences. Piece of masking tape on the bottom of the enclosure.. Zeus is the psycho.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ha! Sounds like that little dude has some personality! :)

I had an N. chromatus juvenile that would only eat the heads off crickets then stash the bodies in the corner. I found it disturbing, but he seems to have outgrown this behavior (or, he's getting better at hiding the bodies :).

cold blood

Staff member
I have 4 LP slings, I only had large crickets, so last night I chopped the heads off and gave 1 to each sling. I was worried they would reject them because they are used to live food. I opened the containers this morning to find that 2 had happily drug their crickets into their hides and eaten. But, the fiesty one who bull rushes me every time he even thinks the lid is off didn't eat his cricket. Instead there were cricket pieces all over his enclosure and what appeared to be cricket guts all over the wall closest to his hide.
I feed most, if not all my slings pre-killed till a certain point, like 3/4-1" and I have yet to have a sling of any species refuse prekilled prey....In fact the only adult/sub-adult i've ever had refuse is my G. porteri whos surprisingly picky.

I have to wonder if much of the cricket wasn't eaten and what was smeared on the wall was in fact hobo's favorite thing to point out....poop.
I find legs and random pieces after meals all the time.

Karmaz

Arachnopeon
No, it's nearly a 2.5 inch sling and it definitely wasn't eaten. All of the chunks were still fat and plump except for where it oozed? Out, or where it had been obviously ripped apart, maybe poop, maybe guts.. Either way he dismembered a cricket he didn't eat. My 1.5 - 2 inch slings finished theirs, just legs and wings to be found.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I have a Rosie that goes medieval on prey when she's fasting. She can be a bit savage in her predation. It's disconcerting when it takes you a few minutes to find all the "parts."
I know they're not human, but still, you're thinking 'that's a LOT of rage there Psycho Rosie." (shudder)

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
I'm glad mine isn't the only Rosie that's disturbed. Mine does the same. But at least she leaves the pieces in the fresh water I give her.

Karmaz

Arachnopeon
I have a Rosie that goes medieval on prey when she's fasting. She can be a bit savage in her predation. It's disconcerting when it takes you a few minutes to find all the "parts."
I know they're not human, but still, you're thinking 'that's a LOT of rage there Psycho Rosie." (shudder)
Yes, definitely rage lol. Mind you this is the same LP who charges me every chance he gets, my other slings run and hide.. Not him.. I'm glad his enclosure is only 6 inches deep,
With the amount of times he's lunged out onto the table. He jumps out and just sits there looking at me like "i have arrived". Then he gets scooped up and calmly re-enters his enclosure.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'm glad mine isn't the only Rosie that's disturbed. Mine does the same. But at least she leaves the pieces in the fresh water I give her.
Yucks! Using water dish as a graveyard really stinks -- very foul odour! My avic is known for that (as well my Euathlus parvulus). I learned quickly to keep a close eye on water dishes here. :puke:
I did see Rosie deliberately drown a cricket once. And then didn't eat it. Psycho!