Thereaphosa blondi molting problems for man in arms services

herpguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Man in arms service has a female Theraphosa Blondi that is struggling with molting. She has not molted in two years. She has started to molt but has stopped for an unknown reason. Only certain sections of the exoskeleton are coming off. She is also kept in a very humid environment, is constantly kept with plants,and has a supply of water at all times. Obviously, the problem cannot be a humidity problem. As of now, she is contained in an "ICU," more or less a small, enclosed environment with moist paper towels. As of now she is not being fed. The owner is away in the army with no internet access so please offer as much advice as possible. Thankyou and God bless.

herpguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Here is the picture, please let me know if you know whats going on.

madamwlf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For one, that ICU is far too wet and I would say too small for her.

8ighth Wonder

Arachnopeon
For one, lose the paper towels. And open up her space, she is stressing in that little space. Put her in some substrate (peat moss) with the proper humidity and temperature. I'd recommend no light, until absolutely necessary.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hope she pulls out for you.

Might want to not have her swimming in those paper towels. If you lightly mist them with a mister she'd have the dampness without being saturated with water.

herpguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

After hearing your advice, this is what I came up with. Is there anything I should change?

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Im sorry but i think she is toast! I have never seen one recover from that!

flyguycolorado

Arachnopeon
sorry for your T, I do agree w/ josnuai she looks bad. fingers crossed but she may be on her way to the big hide in the sky :( just my opinion maybe someone with more experience with this genus can lend some advice but she looks bad. I really am sorry:(

jt39565

Arachnoknight
According to "Tarantula Care" by Dr. Robert G. Breene III pg 20 you could try weting it with water or water with glycerin diluted 1 part to 20 parts making sure not to wet the booklung openings, then using forceps to GENTLY pull off the old exoskeleton. He does go on to say that few T's survive a molt that takes over 48hrs.
I don't know if this helps, maybe someone has had succes with this method?

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If the enclosure humidity is correct there should be no need for an icu. An icu can cause a huge amount of stress and imo it could ruin the molting process.

So if the spider is to stressed out she might not wanna molt.