There must have been some battle in the Cavimanus tank

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yesterday before work I looked in on all my scorps fed and watered them and went on my way. Well when I got home this morning around 4:00am I looked in on them again, in particular the P cavimanus tank and this is what I saw. :mad:

Hannibal Lecter Took out his/her cage mate. When I looked in I saw it eating and said to myself "I don't remember putting a cockroach in there for them" I looked with my flashlight and saw to my H:eek: RR:eek: R that is not a cockroach... then I debated should I let it finish?

Well I took it out to check it out. The beast of a mate totally incapacitated it by ripping out its chelicerae (you can see one in the pic on the right) and was sucking its innards from its side. :mad:

The two were small ones, the dead one 7.5cm (mouth to aculeus) the victor only about 1cm bigger (guess that 1cm carried alot of weight)

Question now, I picked these two guys up at the pet store, they were there for about 3 weeks before I got them, (I saw them come in) and I've had them for a good week now. At the pet store they were housed with 6 P imperators, all in a 5gal tank with one hide, (which they all were under) for that time, why turn cannibalistic now?

PS: No more crix for this one I think he's ready for roaches now

Last edited:

HackoDis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey I'm curious about the dead scorpion and the damage it received. Could you maybe post a picture. I know it may sound weird but I'm curious/

Wild animals are very unpredictable

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I tried to get some good pix tonight but to no avail. I put it in the refrigerator and will try again tomorrow after some sleep.

As far as visible to me the mouth was totally ripped off and the side has a big hole in it and the grey innards were showing. the other limbs were in tact.

But I'll post back tomorrow.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I Have some good pics, I need to re-size though.....weird last one I found half eaten, the chelicerae were gone too!

HackoDis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:eek: Well I'm gonna be ticked if bowser or pinchy decide to go crazy and eat each other.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:eek: Well I'm gonna be ticked if bowser or pinchy decide to go crazy and eat each other.
Since you saw what you needed I am removing the pictures because I feel bad I posted them in his thread in the first place.

Ed

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey 'EAD063' I don't take any offense to you posting your pics, the more info for any other hobbyist who happens along to this thread the better. It helps us all understand more about the 'company' we keep and raise. I respect your insight and value your thoughts, I've been a member of this forum since Nov 06, and you are among the regulars that I look forward to reading. :D

About posting more pics of my own... I ran out of time today, and am at work now and will be able to post 'em Saturday. :cool:

Last edited:

????josh????

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had something similar happen in my cavimanus tank about two weeks ago. I found my smallest female with her chelae ripped off and some tears in her sides. The weird thing was that I had just fed them the day before, maybe their fight was over a cricket? But my remaining male and female seem to be getting along great. Maybe they needed to loose the third party? It really sucks when this happens, sorry about your loss.

Josh

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks Josh.

Here is a picture That came out half way decent. the spot on the side (and the whole scorp for that matter) has solidified and darkened from being in the refrigerator over night. This is the only picture that came out of the ones I took today. Sorry for poor quality.

There is absolutely no other damage to it, the legs, tail, aculeus, claws all are in tact.

PS. he is now sleeping with the fishes... lol :drool:

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Funny, my large V spinni female dicided that her cage mate was lunch, though she only seemed to eat it's legs:?

HackoDis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow, so do you have any idea why the mouth pieces would be ripped off ??

Poor little guy, hey ead063 could you post those pics up again. Its intresting to see what type of damage these creatures can do.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Poor little guy, hey ead063 could you post those pics up again. Its intresting to see what type of damage these creatures can do.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p9/ead063/Pandinus imperator/PimperatorDeceased.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p9/ead063/Pandinus imperator/PimperatorDeceased2.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p9/ead063/Pandinus imperator/PimperatorDeceased3.jpg

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
IMHO the mouth piece or chelicerae are like scissors and unlike the claws they can cut and rip. The claws are used mainly to hold or crush. the venom would have no effect on each other. So it went for the most lethal weapon on it. again that is my un-educated hypothesis {D

HackoDis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmm weird. Hopefully this won't happen to me but then again, very strange things can happen.