Theraphosinae sp Colombia

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
While the discovery of this species was a little while ago, now that Tarantula Canada has listings and photos of the slings, I noticed something that I figured should result in some discussion. The slings look remarkably like Chromatopelma slings, which up until now were completely unique. Is this coincidence, or might we for the first time have to consider a second species in the genus?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
While the discovery of this species was a little while ago, now that Tarantula Canada has listings and photos of the slings, I noticed something that I figured should result in some discussion. The slings look remarkably like Chromatopelma slings, which up until now were completely unique. Is this coincidence, or might we for the first time have to consider a second species in the genus?
No, there are tons of slings that look the same.

Cladistics relies on more than macro looks at a single developmental time point. If I was an arachnologist I would not invest my time into your hypothesis based on that 1 criteria.

Also you have to consider that the adults of both genders have zero similarity to GBBs.

Look at the the mini-GBB, the adults highly resemble GBBs from a gross macro-view, yet they are not the same genus.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
There's post all over Facebook today calling it a Chromatopelma sp. I don't see why it wouldn't be. Where does Tarantulas Canada have it listed ? I don't see it on their price list.

Later, Tom

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's post all over Facebook today calling it a Chromatopelma sp. I don't see why it wouldn't be. Where does Tarantulas Canada have it listed ? I don't see it on their price list.

Later, Tom

Why are they calling it Chromatpelma sp? Because the slings look like GBBs? That's just not smart at all, it's irresponsible. That's one way how Ts get setup to be called something it may not be, with a name entrenched in the hobby etc etc before scientists have a chance to examine it.

People are so stupid.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
No, there are tons of slings that look the same.

Cladistics relies on more than macro looks at a single developmental time point. If I was an arachnologist I would not invest my time into your hypothesis based on that 1 criteria.

Also you have to consider that the adults of both genders have zero similarity to GBBs.

Look at the the mini-GBB, the adults highly resemble GBBs from a gross macro-view, yet they are not the same genus.
I definitely agree with what you've said to a general extent, my post was more to get a discussion going on wether or not anyone had further information, as what I gleaned was clearly pretty limited. And while yes, many slings look the same, the unique appearance of Chromatopelma slings isn't something I personally had seen in any other genus, which is what sparked a little curiosity. I simply don't have enough to go off of to make any serious statements, just two stages of development which I agree isn't enough. If I were to look into this seriously I would definitely want to have specimens of both species in various stages of development. that being said, I think the fact that their adults share little coloration as opposed to the "mini" GBBs, the genus escapes me, isn't necessarily a point against them being related either. All in all I definitely agree more is needed, and I'm hoping someone on here can bring anything else to the table.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Later, Tom
Martin has a bunch of pictures of AFs, and mature male/s. too.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Why are they calling it Chromatpelma sp? Because the slings look like GBBs? That's just not smart at all, it's irresponsible. That's one way how Ts get setup to be called something it may not be, with a name entrenched in the hobby etc etc before scientists have a chance to examine it.

People are so stupid.
I haven't seen anyone actually calling them Chromatopelma, thankfully, but I saw one post asking for information on the species which prompted my brief look and post.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Why are they calling it Chromatpelma sp? Because the slings look like GBBs?
People are so stupid.
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck .....

That's because we are not talking about that spider, see this one http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/pic.php?active=info&p=Tnae sp1 F

Well then, that's not anything like I had seen- sounds like I need to go back and call some people out. The post I had seen showed photos of the adults, and then of slings that did in fact look like Chromatopelma, with a Link to tarantula Canada. Egg on my face, that's what I get for not double checking before posting.

Sounds like someone is knowingly spreading false info and it's working :bag:
Settle down lol....

Later, Tom

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
That one resembles more of a H. sp. Columbia than a GBB =)
To you maybe, but its slings are a dead ringer for Chromatopelma :)

Geez Tom, hence the words "for obvious reasons" :p

I guess it wasn't that obvious :rolleyes:
I'm not sure if I'm following your point:( You're argument is that this spider doesn't look like Chromatolpelma, and that's because you weren't looking at the right spider lol. :rolleyes:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
To you maybe, but its slings are a dead ringer for Chromatopelma :)

I'm not sure if I'm following your point:( You're argument is that this spider doesn't look like Chromatolpelma, and that's because you weren't looking at the right spider lol. :rolleyes:
I looked at all of the pics he Martin has, not true at all.

Anyway this is all moot, one physical trait at one time point..is worthless IMO.

Again, calling it something that we have no idea about is irresponsible.