Theraphosidae sp. "Megacarapace" (?) 🤔

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
So, I'm guessing, no one? Lol.
I had heard/ maybe saw some, I don’t know where it could possibly belong. There’s been a few mentions of them by members here on AB. I see them coming in on an import on FB as well. Someone mentioed them as small, do you know anything about that?

I looked at a thread @Craig73 might have some, as well as @Jess S maybe they can chime on their experince with them

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I have one. My first one had a bad molt and after trying to save it unfortunately didn’t make it. My second one just molted two days ago.

I haven’t found much on it; got them from J Rossi here.

I keep it on dry sub and overflow the water dish every now and then. Both excavated the heck out of their hides. Out all the time, but super skittish and retreat to the hide when disturbed. Has never climbed the sides of the enclosure and typically out near the water dish and stay close to the entrance of the hide. Fast as heck when they scoot. Appears to be docile and fantastic eaters that don’t disappoint; I saw my first one on top of the hide and it pounced down on the roach.

I did see something like 4” grown, but can’t say for sure, still in the sling stage about 1.25”, maybe 1.5” but hasn’t come out yet.

Very pretty deep black with a rust Color on the abdomen now. My previous one was larger (maybe 1.75”) and the abdomen is really round with a long carapace. Very cool T to observe.

CB989394-9899-4561-A9B0-DDF5D7EC150F.jpeg C57BF933-A16B-40BD-958E-11F155C5E54E.jpeg

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I looked at a thread @Craig73 might have some, as well as @Jess S maybe they can chime on their experince with them
Not me, I'm afraid! I have got a couple 'Theraphosidae spp but not that one. I'm sure I was recently talking to someone about that very species as they'd got a sling, but can't for the life of me think who it was! If it comes to me, I'll ask them to post on here.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Found mine out and about and thought I’d drop an update and recent pic.

I have three and all seem to prefer the fossorial lifestyle, but venture out to the surface quite a bit as well. Maybe considered a terrestrial with obligated borrower tendencies, not sure. Most of the time is spent deep down with periodic surface patrol throughout the late afternoon/evenings. Amazing food response as well.

They seem pretty hardy and tolerant of some moisture in the substrate, found this out with a water dish leak, although typically I keep most of the substrate dry and occasionally will poor water into the soil in one area of the enclosure and let it dry out in between.

Quite skittish and fast. Quick to hunker down vs fight, so I’d consider it to be on the docile end of the spectrum.

First pic of the largest. Slings start out more of a jet black abdomen, then have a funny ugly ducking stage in my opinion, and starting to pick up a copper’ish color on the abdomen. I have seen a pic of an adult with red , but time will tell if that is true. My understanding is they reach ~4”.

Second pic is 2 days post molt, but shows the fossorial tendency.

2CEE0F20-2943-4CA7-8869-F80C15EBAE08.jpeg
92FD79DE-529F-4629-AC4D-0E61A6ADDCDF.jpeg

Sorry, one more pic, this one seems to be photogenic tonight.

73C7B5A5-CC19-4E74-9DD6-A164BDEBD3EB.jpeg

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Wow......that’s one big brown T.
I wonder why the “megacarapace” designation?.
Almost reminds me of a Megaphobema velevtosoma,Ecuadorian Brown.

Never mind...".extremely long carapace".....got it,sorry.

Last edited: