Theraphosa Stirmi

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
No. Just leave her alone. It's normal for tarantulas to bury themselves or hide for weeks, sometimes months at a time. They may also not eat for weeks at a time. It's all normal for them.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Since she's a baby I don't want to handle her much at all, plus, she's burrowed and I'm pretty happy about that so I don't think I'll see much of her. Sould I check on her though? To make sure she's okay if I don't see her come out??? I don't wanna move around the bark or shine a light in there.
That's pretty normal. There's no need to check on her. You wouldn't want to risk interrupting a molt or anything like that by digging her out to check on her.

KatsuKing

Arachnopeon
That's pretty normal. There's no need to check on her. You wouldn't want to risk interrupting a molt or anything like that by digging her out to check on her.
I wont dig her out or anything, which is why I was like, a little worried in case, but if she's chillin then I am.

No. Just leave her alone. It's normal for tarantulas to bury themselves or hide for weeks, sometimes months at a time. They may also not eat for weeks at a time. It's all normal for them.
I'd have to remove her molt though right? Because of mold?

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
If you want to shine a light on it without disturbing it use a red light. Most small LED headlamps have red LEDs in them nowadays; which you can get at almost any hardware store for twenty bucks or so.

sasker

Arachnoprince
You should really leave it alone. This is hard for every new owner, I know from experience :D At this stage, it will eat frequently and moult frequently. It is therefore not strange to not see your tarantula for a few weeks as it is preparing to moult or recovering from a moult. Your spider is very vulnerable during during this time. Many have lost tarantulas by accidently disturbing the spider during a moult, so it is better to assume that everything is alright than to check by lifting up its log.

You can compare it with caring for a plant. You wouldn't regularly uproot a plant to check if the roots are growing either ;)

KatsuKing

Arachnopeon
Nope. There's no problem with leaving the molt in there. In fact, she'll probably remove any molts herself and dump them outside her burrow eventually.
That's pretty cool. Do you have any super active T's? Like ones that come out a lot???

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
That's pretty cool. Do you have any super active T's? Like ones that come out a lot???
Most terrestrial NW T's will burrow and sit in the entrance to their den when they are young. They tend to sit out in open more when they are older; it's a scary world when you are the size of a 5p coin.
They have a little shuffle about sometimes, but generally T' s barely move at all. Especially not during the day as they are nocturnal

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'd have to remove her molt though right? Because of mold?
Moults don't go mouldy, they eventually just become brittle and break apart, tarantulas will often just dump them somewhere outside of the burrow (usually in the water dish) or web them into the walls of a burrow so there's no need to remove moults in any hurry unless you need them for sexing.

All you need to know about mold | Arachnoboards

I forget who it is who posts this link constantly, but I would refer to this thread for any mold concerns.
Probably me lol, I've lost count of how many times I've posted it either on here or on Wastebook.

KatsuKing

Arachnopeon
Most terrestrial NW T's will burrow and sit in the entrance to their den when they are young. They tend to sit out in open more when they are older; it's a scary world when you are the size of a 5p coin.
They have a little shuffle about sometimes, but generally T' s barely move at all. Especially not during the day as they are nocturnal
I keep her in a dim area, just to keep her comfy, but she comes out once a day, sits on the moss and goes back in. That isn't weird?

Molts will not mold. There is no critical reason to remove molts unless you need them for sexing.
Moults don't go mouldy, they eventually just become brittle and break apart, tarantulas will often just dump them somewhere outside of the burrow (usually in the water dish) or web them into the walls of a burrow so there's no need to remove moults in any hurry unless you need them for sexing.

I do have to sex her so hopefully this molt will tell me. I'm hoping she's a girl.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I keep her in a dim area, just to keep her comfy, but she comes out once a day, sits on the moss and goes back in. That isn't weird?
Just spooder things haha, My A. Chalcodes sits in the exact same spot for weeks at a time, one day she'll web her hide entrance up and sit looking out. Then the next day she's back out in her usual spot.
It's important to look at the spiders behaviour and see if it's giving you any hints eg: spider constantly sits over water bowl... Is my enclosure too dry?
But sometimes fur babies just do what they do

KatsuKing

Arachnopeon
Just spooder things haha, My A. Chalcodes sits in the exact same spot for weeks at a time, one day she'll web her hide entrance up and sit looking out. Then the next day she's back out in her usual spot.
It's important to look at the spiders behaviour and see if it's giving you any hints eg: spider constantly sits over water bowl... Is my enclosure too dry?
But sometimes fur babies just do what they do
Weird little things they are. At least she approves of dads housework!

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
its not odd all my ts that actually use a burrow or hide. will do that usually late/early morning hoping i am guessing that a prey item will wander by for them to eat once the sun rises they hide again the a genic and b smithii are always out perched ontop of their hides.those two would be part of the percentage that get preyed upon in the wild since they never burrowed or make use of the hides provided since they were slings

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
its not odd all my ts that actually use a burrow or hide. will do that usually late/early morning hoping i am guessing that a prey item will wander by for them to eat once the sun rises they hide again the a genic and b smithii are always out perched ontop of their hides.those two would be part of the percentage that get preyed upon in the wild since they never burrowed or make use of the hides provided since they were slings
My B. Hamorii is the same! Never even bothered to make a burrow, just sits on top of the cork bark like pride rock 🦁

KatsuKing

Arachnopeon
It's her feeding day. She reared up on the cricket then proceeded to let it walk into her burrow and steal her home. I am. Offended. She's just sitting outside the borrow. Staring. My T is officially a useless arachnid. ❤

My B. Hamorii is the same! Never even bothered to make a burrow, just sits on top of the cork bark like pride rock 🦁
I looked in there and she's molting. I'm worried because they can get hurt when they molt. Have you had any problems with that before??? And are there any signs of a bad molt? I was at work so I don't know how long she's been at it.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
I looked in there and she's molting. I'm worried because they can get hurt when they molt. Have you had any problems with that before??? And are there any signs of a bad molt? I was at work so I don't know how long she's been at it.
i have been lucky so far only had a molt issue once with my lp sling signs of a bad molt i dunno about i havent been keeping ts enough years to know all the signs of a bad molt. theres not much you can really do about it anyways once its began the process either it will make it or it wont. best thing you can do is just leave it be to do its thing go eat your dinner,play video games etc. go occupy your time and dont stress over what you cant control