Theraphosa Stirmi

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@KatsuKing please use the multi quote feature when responding to multiple people back to back at the same time. You can highlight each persons different texts and “add quote” or press “ + quote “ amd respond to multiple people at one time in the same message.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
I'm not here to argue. I just want tips for my enclosure. Stop harassing me over how I handle my T. There are plenty people who handle them without incident.
What of the really nasty urticating hairs? Perhaps I can recommend a good pair of ski goggles to wear when you handle. :p

For care refer to the posts above and the thread, just take care to ignore most pet shop advice, care-sheets and youtubers (Tom Moran is an exception) then you’re good.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Off topic but if you hit quote instead of reply you can reply to multiple people in one post instead of having to respond 3-4 times in a row for future reference.

@KatsuKing please use the multi quote feature when responding to multiple people back to back at the same time. You can highlight each persons different texts and “add quote” or press “ + quote “ amd respond to multiple people at one time in the same message.
OOps that will teach me not to refresh the page after walking away for a bit. You'd already addressed this with OP. My bad.

KatsuKing

Arachnopeon
What of the really nasty urticating hairs? Perhaps I can recommend a good pair of ski goggles to wear when you handle. :p

For care refer to the posts above and the thread, just take care to ignore most pet shop advice, care-sheets and youtubers (Tom Moran is an exception) then you’re good.
Yeah, I do have a pair of goggles and some thick gloves. I have a specific shirt i only wear when taking her out, so only one article of clothing touches the hairs, and it's soft and thick. I don't plan on handling too much, but she's relaxed when I do.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Yeah, I do have a pair of goggles and some thick gloves. I have a specific shirt i only wear when taking her out, so only one article of clothing touches the hairs, and it's soft and thick. I don't plan on handling too much, but she's relaxed when I do.
Tarantulas’ moods change often. I highly highly advise against handling, not for your safety but for the T’s. It it bites you and you fling it, game over. If it bolts and you flinch, probably game over. If it jumps, game over. And this leaves you with a dead T and some very annoyed members when you post about it.

KatsuKing

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas’ moods change often. I highly highly advise against handling, not for your safety but for the T’s. It it bites you and you fling it, game over. If it bolts and you flinch, probably game over. If it jumps, game over. And this leaves you with a dead T and some very annoyed members when you post about it.
I had a Mexican red knee bolt on me. She was decent size and ended up on my neck. Didn't flinch or fling her. I have never owned one, never housed one. But I've held them in a lot of shops. A tarantula rearing or flinging hairs is the sign for leave me alone. Molting. Leave it alone. I'm not going to bother her if she's in a mood. If it bolts, you stay calm and urge it back into a safe container. There are ways to handle these guys. I'm not going into her enclosure every day, week, or even month. I like handling them, but I respect her space. She's probably going to be hiding for the most part anyway.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I had a Mexican red knee bolt on me. She was decent size and ended up on my neck. Didn't flinch or fling her. I have never owned one, never housed one. But I've held them in a lot of shops. A tarantula rearing or flinging hairs is the sign for leave me alone. Molting. Leave it alone. I'm not going to bother her if she's in a mood. If it bolts, you stay calm and urge it back into a safe container. There are ways to handle these guys. I'm not going into her enclosure every day, week, or even month. I like handling them, but I respect her space. She's probably going to be hiding for the most part anyway.
But why handle in the first place?

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This has been an exceptionally frustrating thread to follow over the last day or so...

I think you're missing the point that its impossible to predict accurately 100% of the time when they're going to bolt and it only takes one time for a tarantula to fall and become a tragic splat on the floor or lost forever etc.. But I also can see that everyone is wasting their breath trying to convince you of this because you either a. just straight don't care or b. your ego has you convinced that you know better than others who have seen time and time and time and time again what happens with handling because "I've done it and it was fine" and "my pet store friend says its TOTES okay guys, for real. Even though he gave me bad husbandry advice too. Its totally fine."

I have never owned one, never housed one.
On a final note, why say this and then still insist you know better?? Please just listen to some of the people here on this thread who are basically living encyclopedias of tarantula knowledge (I am not one of them, but there are multiple here on the thread who I would consider highly credible) and take their advice on husbandry, including handling.

KatsuKing

Arachnopeon
This has been an exceptionally frustrating thread to follow over the last day or so...

I think you're missing the point that its impossible to predict accurately 100% of the time when they're going to bolt and it only takes one time for a tarantula to fall and become a tragic splat on the floor or lost forever etc.. But I also can see that everyone is wasting their breath trying to convince you of this because you either a. just straight don't care or b. your ego has you convinced that you know better than others who have seen time and time and time and time again what happens with handling because "I've done it and it was fine" and "my pet store friend says its TOTES okay guys, for real. Even though he gave me bad husbandry advice too. Its totally fine."

On a final note, why say this and then still insist you know better?? Please just listen to some of the people here on this thread who are basically living encyclopedias of tarantula knowledge (I am not one of them, but there are multiple here on the thread who I would consider highly credible) and take their advice on husbandry, including handling.
I'm not picking fights, nor insulting anyone. I'd appreciate if you respected me the same way. I'm just here to ask questions about the enclosure. Not be bullied.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I'm not picking fights, nor insulting anyone. I'd appreciate if you respected me the same way. I'm just here to ask questions about the enclosure. Not be bullied.
Yes but you’re doing something dangerous with your tarantulas. We can’t respect you the same way when you are endangering your tarantulas for self pleasure. This isn’t bullying, it’s informing.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I personally disagree with handling, but I will say that handling a Brachypelma, Grammostola, or Aphonopelma species is not in the same ballpark as handling a Theraphosa species, given the much worse urticating hairs and potential for more mechanical damage from a bite. You're an adult so do what you want, but in my personal opinion this would not be a species to handle if you are determined to handle a tarantula.

KatsuKing

Arachnopeon
I personally disagree with handling, but I will say that handling a Brachypelma, Grammostola, or Aphonopelma species is not in the same ballpark as handling a Theraphosa species, given the much worse urticating hairs and potential for more mechanical damage from a bite. You're an adult so do what you want, but in my personal opinion this would not be a species to handle if you are determined to handle a tarantula.
I liked the red knee I had. She was really cool. I was going to buy her but she was already pretty big and I wanted to get something that would work up in size. She's pretty comfortable in her enclosure, so I probably won't see her much until feeding.

The new home is finished. I put the vents on the side and the top came with a ventilation hole. Got the sponge the cork wood and the Stirmi is in. Just gotta wait for her to go hide.

Attachments

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
The new home is finished. I put the vents on the side and the top came with a ventilation hole. Got the sponge the cork wood and the Stirmi is in. Just gotta wait for her to go hide.
Ditch the sponge. They harbor bacteria and your tarantula can drink just fine from the water dish. It's in no danger of drowning.

sasker

Arachnoprince
A tarantula rearing or flinging hairs is the sign for leave me alone.
I have a Brachypelma hamorii that is more on the crazy side. I needed to coax her to the other side of the enclosure once with a straw. At first, she responded as one would expect from such a docile species. But then she bit the straw without warning. The lesson: tarantulas remain unpredictable animals. Even a 'docile' species could bite without much of a warning and without giving you the chance to react. There are many examples of keepers who had a docile tarantula once, but this changed after a moult.

Another thing: people usually keep quiet about the deaths of their tarantulas if it is their fault. So, you may see someone handling his tarantulas with great confidence, not knowing how many tarantulas have died thanks to his negligence.

I had a Mexican red knee bolt on me. She was decent size and ended up on my neck.
And you did not learn anything from that experience? Even if you don't overreact or flinch, a running tarantula could easily fall and die. This is a terrestrial species, not the best climbers. You were very lucky that time.

Anyway, I think all has been said on the matter. Follow or ignore the advice you have been given. It is up to you.

KatsuKing

Arachnopeon
I have a Brachypelma hamorii that is more on the crazy side. I needed to coax her to the other side of the enclosure once with a straw. At first, she responded as one would expect from such a docile species. But then she bit the straw without warning. The lesson: tarantulas remain unpredictable animals. Even a 'docile' species could bite without much of a warning and without giving you the chance to react. There are many examples of keepers who had a docile tarantula once, but this changed after a moult.

Another thing: people usually keep quiet about the deaths of their tarantulas if it is their fault. So, you may see someone handling his tarantulas with great confidence, not knowing how many tarantulas have died thanks to his negligence.

And you did not learn anything from that experience? Even if you don't overreact or flinch, a running tarantula could easily fall and die. This is a terrestrial species, not the best climbers. You were very lucky that time.

Anyway, I think all has been said on the matter. Follow or ignore the advice you have been given. It is up to you.
Since she's a baby I don't want to handle her much at all, plus, she's burrowed and I'm pretty happy about that so I don't think I'll see much of her. Sould I check on her though? To make sure she's okay if I don't see her come out??? I don't wanna move around the bark or shine a light in there.