Theraphosa Species Leg Femurs are Cool

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I'm bored and I find Theraphosa's to be fun and I just wanted to show some of the leg femurs from some specimens of mine as I find them fascinating and very distinct between species. My favorite being the Theraphosa apophysis in terms of it's insane setae on its femurs.

Theraphosa stirmi

S1050004.JPG

Theraphosa blondi

S1050002.JPG

Theraphosa apophysis

S1050012.JPG

basin79

ArachnoGod
My large juvenile/young adult T.blondi is a very hairy lass.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
My large juvenile/young adult T.blondi is a very hairy lass.
If you're talking about the femurs being hairy, and if it's hairier than mines, then in due time and with increased size, it will appear like mines in the photo. All these specimen photo's are over the 6'' inch in legspan. Sub-adults and adults tend to make them show more distinct with size and age in terms of physical features. My Theraphosa's had very similar setae in terms of the femurs when younger, but in time, the differences diverged like night and day.

basin79

ArachnoGod
If you're talking about the femurs being hairy, and if it's hairier than mines, then in due time and with increased size, it will appear like mines in the photo. All these specimen photo's are over the 6'' inch in legspan. Sub-adults and adults tend to make them show more distinct with size and age in terms of physical features. My Theraphosa's had very similar setae in terms of the femurs when younger, but in time, the differences diverged like night and day.
Aye, I've just looked at pics of the previous T.blondi I had and noticed his hairs had lessened.

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
Man, your t's work out or something?
My t's legs look like twigs compared to yours!

Anyway, nice pics!:p

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm bored and I find Theraphosa's to be fun and I just wanted to show some of the leg femurs from some specimens of mine as I find them fascinating and very distinct between species. My favorite being the Theraphosa apophysis in terms of it's insane setae on its femurs.

Theraphosa stirmi

View attachment 379893

Theraphosa blondi

View attachment 379894

Theraphosa apophysis

View attachment 379895
I think Blue-Fangs have some of the best with their coloration.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron

Theraphosa stirmi

View attachment 379893

Theraphosa blondi

View attachment 379894

Theraphosa apophysis

View attachment 379895
stirmi has the least femoral setae located on prolateral surface of the femur. blondi femoral setae located on prolateral and doral surfaces. apophysis has the most femoral setae located prolateral, dorsal, retrolateral and even ventral surfaces though the latter is least abundant. very interesting. would like to see more specimens n=1 thanks for sharing :)

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
Very helpful pictures. How noticeable are the differences between T. stirmi and T. blondii at a 2" sling size? Blondii is on my list but I don't want to drop the cash and end up with a Stirmi....

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Very helpful pictures. How noticeable are the differences between T. stirmi and T. blondii at a 2" sling size? Blondii is on my list but I don't want to drop the cash and end up with a Stirmi....
at 2” pinks on stirmi tarsus should still be present

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Relying on setae for a species identification for Theraphosa's is usually not really reliable until the larger sizes. I'd say around 5.5''-6''+ is when setae really starts becoming distinguishable between the three species of Theraphosa. For slings at the 2'' size, it would be more reliable on the tarsus coloration for an identification.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I'm bored, so here are some picture of the front legs I guess. Just note that my T. apophysis is the smallest of the three species photos here, so setae might not be the most proper of an adult since she's only 6''. But the other two species are adults so here we go.

Theraphosa stirmi

S1290029logo.JPG

Theraphosa blondi

S1290018logo.jpg

Theraphosa apophysis

S1290012logo.jpg