Theraphosa Post molt leg trauma

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
A couple days ago my T. spinipes molted. Its a male and now has a very odd problem. The telotarsus on leg R4 L4 are both bending the opposite way. they only bend in that direction. L3 bends correctly but also bends the wrong way. Has anyone ever seen this problem? My T is only 3" rough estimate. I have kept him on a diet of crickets since I got him. He also seems lethargic. Im wondering if I should expect a good recovery soon. I am thinking 2 molts. But he was fine before this.. It may be a possibility i could have caused his injury by taking the molt out to soon and startling him. :? :wall:

Sorry for the blurry pic, didnt want to spend time to take another one.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You must wait till the full molt process is done before even opening the lid of the tank. They are extremely fragile from the moment they start the molt to, depending on the size, up to 2-3 weeks after it.

That said, thats a very minor injury, if you ask me.
She should recover full function in those tarsus withint the next molt.

I wouldnt imagine much of a problem.
Good luck with her, feed her up really nice, keep her warm and moist :)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
You must wait till the full molt process is done before even opening the lid of the tank. They are extremely fragile from the moment they start the molt to, depending on the size, up to 2-3 weeks after it.

That said, thats a very minor injury, if you ask me.
She should recover full function in those tarsus withint the next molt.

I wouldnt imagine much of a problem.
Good luck with her, feed her up really nice, keep her warm and moist :)
That would be great if he was a she. :p I keep calling him a her by mistake. Thanks for the support. I think Theraphosa are more fragile than i ever imagined after a molt. They are like a giant baby! He was ghost white when i plucked the molt. I have never seen a T so white at that size. Lesson learned here.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They do appear to be a little more fragile than other T's when they molt :).
But the way they eat , they really get to be quit hardier when it comes to minor accidents like those.

The true Blondi female that I have took exactly ONE MONTH to begin eating again...But shes around 10.5". (And 3 months off feeding in pre molt)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
They do appear to be a little more fragile than other T's when they molt :).
But the way they eat , they really get to be quit hardier when it comes to minor accidents like those.

The true Blondi female that I have took exactly ONE MONTH to begin eating again...But shes around 10.5". (And 3 months off feeding in pre molt)
I love the way they eat and run through crickets. My guy had 3 adult crickets in his fangs and he was about 2.5" before the molt. I cant wait till my guy starts eating again. I am really bummed i dont have a female. I want a CB female. A bit harder to come by than WC specimens. I have read that flys can be a huge problem (TKG) in WC Theraphosa.