Theraphosa mating (video)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Last week I recieved a healthy MM Theraphosa stirmi "burgundy" Ive been pairing them nearly every night/day. He is doing great and made a sperm web 2 days ago. :D She has been well fed and has a crazy appetite. The humidity is 85-95, temps are 79-82.

At 4:30 he makes an insertion..
[YOUTUBE]WMix5rGRzYc[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

ezberserk

Arachnopeon
excellent work man! best of luck but im sure you will get the outcome you want!

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you for sharing. That was amazing! I wish you the best of luck man :)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Can't wait to find my big girl a boyfriend, if I can ever afford a male of this sp.
If you do get a male get him freshly matured and make sure your female molted within the last month or 2.
Thank you for sharing. That was amazing! I wish you the best of luck man :)
Thanks for the kind words. :) It is really fun to pair these! :D Its alot easier with big spiders.. No running up your arm on to your face.. At least i hope not!?! :eek: {D

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Any advice?

Since this attempt the female has refused to mate with him. :?

She reared up at him on 3-4 separate matings over the last week. I was ten feet away at my computer and they were left together for an hour or two so i know its not me. She was receptive on every occasion before this video even with me present. But since throws up a threat pose and lunges at him to warding him off.

Has anyone experienced this behavior in such a short time frame?? I plan to pair them after his next sperm web. Any advice or experience is welcome. :worship:

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
Doug ur video looks better than the video I took out of my T. Stirmi mating. It could be because my male lost one of his rear leg a day before I mated them. Lol.. But anyways, good luck and hopefully you'll get a sac (me too!!! Lol...)...

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

Maybe it could be that your female already had a good insert and starting the process of getting gravid. I remember my N. Coloratovillosus female acted like that. At first, very receptive then on the succeeding mating, was very very aggressive. Then after 3 months, she laid an eggsac. So I guess that could be the reason. Just my guess... And I hope my guess is right doug so that you will have an eggsac!! Lol...

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Thanks Mike.(Big_nito) :) Good luck with your gal and thanks for the insight on the N. chromatus post mating behavior.Those were my thoughts but i dont want to jump to conclusions.

I tried to pair them for a half hour today because the male was roaming. When i came back she blocked him into the corner in a threat pose/ receptive pose.. :? Both were motionless for a minute. I couldnt tell what she was intending and i didnt want to find out. The male looked like he was trying to leave so i removed him. :eek:

I have been misting heavily once a day in both thier cages. The substrate dries out fairly fast and humidity is 80% min 98% after misting. She has been eating like there is no tomorrow but thats typical.

Last edited:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Theraphosa Video update 001

I would like to update this thread with a short video to show you how much she has grown. She has mated with him a couple times since the first video was taken. Hope you enjoy!

Don't forget to subscribe and comment. :D

[YOUTUBE]h6DPnEXB3KY&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
Doug she looks loaded with eggs!!! Awesome awesome awesome!!!!