Theraphosa life spans.

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anybody got confirmed Theraphosa lifespans (both blondi and apophysis). My apophysis is 12 years old and still moulting about every 14 months, i suspect she may not have long to go.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey wow that is very impressive. I have no clue, I dont think much is known about max life spans in captivity on any species. If there is I want to read it to.
I do know quicker growing species like Pokies and avics, they seem to have a much shorter life span, topping out around maybe 12 years? I would assume both those would be in that boat to. But conditions play a huge factor to. One guy could feed two times a week every week at 70 degrees, the next once a month and keeping them at 80 degrees. Both conditions could produce very different results.

Last edited:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I hope they live loong, i want to keep my little aggressive Apophysis sling a long time;-)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
May I ask where you got that info? Id like to read it. I have to figure out what I am doing wrong cause I have had blondi slings grow to adult hood and die within 9 years. :8o

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd say average lifespan is 10-12 years. Of course it's hard to tell in captivity because of all the requirements needed for this species, and not to mention the molting problems they have. Too many variables in captivity to get an accurate measurment I would say. THe best thing to do would be to track the lifespan of specimens in the wild.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
May I ask where you got that info? Id like to read it. I have to figure out what I am doing wrong cause I have had blondi slings grow to adult hood and die within 9 years. :8o
and that's a bad thing? haha...seems like it would be long enough for me.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lol kinda. But Merfolk said 15-20 so I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.
I must admit still having my first T from almost 16 years ago is pretty special.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The one officially recorded for Theraphosa blondi - 20 years. But I expect they like other huge humid terrestrial NW tarantulas may live even more, to 25years.

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The trouble with blondi....

yes, its hard to estimate lifespans as blondi can have so many issues which reduces potential lifespan. THis will also reduce potential sizes they achieve. They seem to get to about 9 inches at 3 years and then with each annual moult add an extra 1/4 inch for a few years then a bit less for the later moults. My apophysis at 12 years still grows by a noticable degree with each moult and is way bigger than it was as a young adult at 3 years. These things seem to get bulkier with each moult, a 9 inch blondi appears dwarfed by one at just an inch bigger across the legs in terms of carapace size and leg thickness.

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
talkenlate04, so thats 16 years for a Theraphosa or a different T?

thanks.

treeweta.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I read a lot, and the records were like you said, 20-25 years, so an average of 15 makes senses. However, 9 years is still good. You got human beings who age earlier and die earlier kind of naturaly.