Theraphosa blondi?

CWEBB04z

Arachnopeon
Does anyone own a Theraphosa blondi?

I wanna know how many people own this kind of Tarantula, I heard they are rare.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They're not too hard to find if you know where to look. Also, they are pretty difficult to keep for long periods of time. They often have problems molting in captivity along with several other problems that anyone other then a very experienced keeper may have trouble keeping up with. A friend of mine who is an extremely knowledgeable and experienced owner had two that died. One had damaged fangs after a molt and the other one I think just died for no reason. Their hairs are the most irritating of all T's and I wouldn't suggest handling them, or the inside of their cage, without gloves.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have one, thinking of selling her too but havent made up my mind may wait till she is bigger lol

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Not that rare but it seems many people tend to have molting issues with them.

Also it doesn't seem as a hobby the husbandry of T.blondi is quite set, as people with contradicting set ups as regards to watering and humidity, will both have success. (some will have a damp substrate and mist dailys, others claim dry substrate with very large water dish is sufficient).

Though as mentioned most people get rid of theirs because the urticating hairs which are very bad with this species. Anecdotally been known to penetrate even the big yellow dish washing gloves.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have 4, ranging from 2.5" to almost 9," and i've raised from 1" slings.

babies tend to be more fragile than adults, IMHO. i used to keep misting every day, but now i keep relatively dry peat moss with an open dish and everyone seems fine.

they're big eaters with itchy hairs and big fangs. :)