Theraphosa blondi slings care

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been reading lately lots of questions and problems with the slings some of us finally got of Theraphosa blondi from Paul Becker.

Far from being an expert, this is my favorite specie and I have been keeping Theraphosa since 1996, so I want to give you, those who have purchased them and anybody who's interested, some advice and care
for these beauties.

Firts and foremost, remember that these Sp are native from the hart of the Rain Forest of North of South America. Mainly founded in Venezuela,North East Brazil,Guyana and Surinam, this means that the average temps these specie lives all year round are on the low to high 80's F, with a relative humidity of the high 90 to 100%.

That being said,these spiders wont do fine at lower temps.
You need to make sure theres enough humidity in the enclosure to see the water pretty much dripping from the lid but also providing them with a heat source so they can reach higher 80's in temperature.

The ventilation is a must, since these conditions are a "fiesta" for those darn mites, so you need to drill many wholes on the lid and maybe sides.
Therefore provide a small water dish with open water -You dont see them drinking? Ok, but it doesn't cost money either...So just do it.

Theraphosa is very nervous in general, and even more at this stage, so a small container would give them a more "safe" sensation and also will be easier for them to powerfeed.

For our 2nd instar 1.5" slings, a 5" by 5" enclosure will be optimal.

The ideal here would be creating a micro habitat, this means, keeping them on a larger tank with constant high temps and higher humidity levels.

Feed them pretty much every day till they get nice and plump, then wait for them to molt not offering pray. Chances are in 4-5 days they will molt.

These spiders are not impossible to care for, but you need to invest
a little more effort than on your regular Smithi.

Follow that and they will be nice and happy Blondi! ;)

Last edited:

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have been reading lately lots of questions and problems with the slings some of us finally got of Theraphosa blondi from Paul Becker.

Far from being an expert, this is my favorite specie and I have been keeping Theraphosa since 1996, so I want to give you, those who have purchased them and anybody who's interested, some advice and care
for these beauties.

Firts and foremost, remember that these Sp are native from the hart of the Rain Forest of North of South America. Mainly founded in Venezuela,North East Brazil,Guyana and Surinam, this means that the average temps these specie lives all year round are on the low to high 80's F, with a relative humidity of the high 90 to 100%.

That being said,these spiders wont do fine at lower temps.
You need to make sure theres enough humidity in the enclosure to see the water pretty much dripping from the lid but also providing them with a heat source so they can reach higher 80's in temperature.

The ventilation is a must, since these conditions are a "fiesta" for those darn mites, so you need to drill many wholes on the lid and maybe sides.
Therefore provide a small water dish with open water -You dont see them drinking? Ok, but it doesn't cost money either...So just do it.

Theraphosa is very nervous in general, and even more at this stage, so a small container would give them a more "safe" sensation and also will be easier for them to powerfeed.

For our 2nd instar 1.5" slings, a 5" by 5" enclosure will be optimal.

The ideal here would be creating a micro habitat, this means, keeping them on a larger tank with constant high temps and higher humidity levels.

Feed them pretty much every day till they get nice and plump, then wait for them to molt not offering pray. Chances are in 4-5 days they will molt.

These spiders are not impossible to care for, but you need to invest
a little more effort than on your regular Smithi.

Follow that and they will be nice and happy Blondi! ;)
Great post fran!!:clap::clap: & don't forget...if they appear dead, they may be molting!!:eek:{D

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Fran, Excellent post! :clap: Tell 'em like it is.

This means nunnathat 65-68 degrees, one pinhead a week rosea-type scheduling. {D

A personal addition to :eek:- I noted that my sling seemed lethargic and was initially more than a little worried. Now I'm sure that it's just calmed from shipping and finally settling into it's nice, moist container with an extra-deep (burrow at 1.5" deep :eek:) hide..... It's as simple as that!! :)

Terry

edit- mines a T. spinipes or sp "burgundy" but still closely related enough for this discussion, eh? *'nother red face*

Last edited:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:)

Oh yeah {D All these guys freak at the beggining as soon as you open the lid...You see them running around the enclosure as soon as you show touch that lid {D

I hope that Spinipes molt for you soon Terry!!

Gotta go feed my babes, What the heck ...{D

Last edited:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heh, we were right on the money on the size {D

1.5"-2nd instar

Attachments

1truth

Arachnopeon
Have you ever had problems with mites keeping the substrate damp, or atleast half damp and the other half dry?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you ever had problems with mites keeping the substrate damp, or atleast half damp and the other half dry?
Mites are controlled by: high ventilation and no foods remainings :)
That could work too :)

1truth

Arachnopeon
I only ask cause im fairly new to tarantulas and ive been doing good with them but im always trying to learn more. I use sterlite tubs with locking lids and have drilled holes for air. Would you consider that enough ventilation.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Fran, Bet those little guys won't be so little by Christmas. :D

Mites- I had my large female spinipes cage both moist and well-ventilated. The only mite problem then was a very brief stint with the tiny whitish scavengers. This went on during a time when she was stowing some of the boluses out of sight. I found her cache soon after and eliminated that problem almost as quickly as it arrived. :)

Terry

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Would you suggest having running water? I would think it would eliminate or reduce mite issues.

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
One of my two molted this morning. I swear it looked like it was dieing last night. It was wedged into the coener sitting on it's butt ! Shed this morning and doing fine. I have mine under a 40 watt desk lamp and both prefur the light, like the warmth I guess. Great spider but I was woried when I first got them, both doing fine but keep one side damp!

Bob

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh...forgot. Mine are at 86 degrees and the sides of the container are foggy. Seems perfect. I think I have one male and one female. The male molted at half the abdomen size of the suspected female, she is huge. Can't wait for her to molt!

Bob

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
By the way,

2 of my slings are acting exactly as Robs and company described.
Butt sticking out in the air, extremely sluggish and with dark abdomens. I give them an hour till they molt ;)

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Kinda wierd Fran, I have had T.Blondi slings in the past and never acted quit this way. One has twice the size abdomin and has not moled, not dark yet either. Maybe the females are a tad slower to grow. But the male sat on his butt and had his arms just kinda hanging....looked like a tree. Did not lay on his back to molt. Seems fine after his molt though.

Bob

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine has yet to molt.. Im not worried or nothing.. I keep the temps at 88 F at all times.. Its stay very humid in its enclosure.. I can see the condensation building up on the sides of the container..

For the first week I had it.. It wouldnt eat.. That had me a little worried.. Though it finally took a mealworm.. A fat one at that.. Then as it finished that mealworm.. It took another..

I ran to the LPS & grabbed some more small crickets.. I bought 2 dozen.. The little blondi has ate everyone but five.. (I fed those 5 to some other small critters..)

It has a nice fat rump.. Has not ate in the past 3 days..

Hope for a molt here in the next couple.. :D Im excited.. I cant wait to see it get larger.. :D

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
By the way,

2 of my slings are acting exactly as Robs and company described.
Butt sticking out in the air, extremely sluggish and with dark abdomens. I give them an hour till they molt ;)
You would be right to...thery act so weird!!! Mine had its legs all up in the air!!

Kinda wierd Fran, I have had T.Blondi slings in the past and never acted quit this way. One has twice the size abdomin and has not moled, not dark yet either. Maybe the females are a tad slower to grow. But the male sat on his butt and had his arms just kinda hanging....looked like a tree. Did not lay on his back to molt. Seems fine after his molt though.

Bob
Exactly what mine did.... pretty crazy!!!

Mine has yet to molt.. Im not worried or nothing.. I keep the temps at 88 F at all times.. Its stay very humid in its enclosure.. I can see the condensation building up on the sides of the container..

For the first week I had it.. It wouldnt eat.. That had me a little worried.. Though it finally took a mealworm.. A fat one at that.. Then as it finished that mealworm.. It took another..

I ran to the LPS & grabbed some more small crickets.. I bought 2 dozen.. The little blondi has ate everyone but five.. (I fed those 5 to some other small critters..)

It has a nice fat rump.. Has not ate in the past 3 days..

Hope for a molt here in the next couple.. :D Im excited.. I cant wait to see it get larger.. :D
Just feed it Steak N shake!

Last edited by a moderator: