Theraphosa Apophysis sling

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have recently bought a Theraphosa Apophysis (a little aggressive devil).
It seems to do very well and he/she is VERY lively. I used 8 Oniscus asellus (dont know the english name) for keeping the cage clean, but it killed them on sight and ate all of them after that + the 2 mealworms i offered.

How much food does it need to grow properly?

Does the informations about caring for T. Blondi apply to T. Apophysis also?

Thomas

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a sling as well, and yes they are lively little boogers, aren't they? Well as far as how I keep mine, which is about 3 inches in legspan, I feed once a week, 3 to 4 crickets ( I know it would happily eat more but I'm trying to find a good balance between power feeding and starving the poor little thing.) Hide, water dish that I keep full, and misting twice a week.
So far it is doing well and has moulted once for me, it should be moulting again soon I would think from the looks of its abdomen, but it would have to stop eating for a minute first and that is not high on its list.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes hey are lively and hungry. She just tryed to escape today, but lucky for me, it did not succeed:D

I plan on feeding it twice a week, and misting 1 or 2 times, so we are not that far from eachother in he care. Is she big enough to take crickets already?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thank heavens it didn't get out? Can you imagine trying to catch something that can move that fast? :eek:
How big is yours? Mine eats large crickets.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine is an adult female that probably has a seven or eight inch leg span. I generally feed mine once every week or two and try to feed it about a dozen or so large crickets a month. Sometimes she will get a bit more. In general I will watch the abdomen and feed a bit more if she looks thinner or cut back some if she is starting to look overly large. Overall I tend to keep all of my tarantulas on a leaner diet.

As far as misting goes I never mist. For the species that require moister environments I will soak their substrate periodically. Misting generally evaporates too quickly and doesn't really accomplish much. A moist substrate will keep the overall humidity level up and more stable than misting. When soaking the substrate good ventilation is a must. I also make sure she has a full water dish.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank heavens it didn't get out? Can you imagine trying to catch something that can move that fast? :eek:
How big is yours? Mine eats large crickets.
I would not want to find out;.) It is fast like hell. And have a serios attitude too. It is 4 cm now. How much is a cm in inches?

It eats crickets its own size right now(body size)

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine is an adult female that probably has a seven or eight inch leg span. I generally feed mine once every week or two and try to feed it about a dozen or so large crickets a month. Sometimes she will get a bit more. In general I will watch the abdomen and feed a bit more if she looks thinner or cut back some if she is starting to look overly large. Overall I tend to keep all of my tarantulas on a leaner diet.

As far as misting goes I never mist. For the species that require moister environments I will soak their substrate periodically. Misting generally evaporates too quickly and doesn't really accomplish much. A moist substrate will keep the overall humidity level up and more stable than misting. When soaking the substrate good ventilation is a must. I also make sure she has a full water dish.

I keep it that way too, and it the humidity is stable around 80 to 85%, and it seems to do well now.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
btw is there any sign at this early stage that shows if it is a he or she?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thomas, mine moulted this morning too!!!!!

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was really fat before the molt and it is more slim now. Is this normal?

It is my first experience with a molt:cool:

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yep that is normal, congrats for your T and successful moult... don't forget not to feed your T after its moult, wait one week or 7-8 days to feed it.. ok :D

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thomas, its is totally normal for a young T's abdomen to shrink after a moult. Im guessing that the blood that was held in the abdomen resides in the legs and prosoma after the moult (which of course is way bigger after the moult). Notice the abdomen of a fully grown adult spider changes very little after a moult as the growth is minimal.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok. thanx for the info. It was as said my first time experienceng a molt, so i am very attentive to it and that it goes well;-)

And i get a new Theraphosa apophysis sling here on friday 8. June home and i have this enclosure ready for it;

Is there anything here i have done wrong?

My other Apophysis sling (Same size and parents) goes in a normal 30*30*20 terrarium and does well as far as i can tell at what i hear from here;-) But it should be able to live in this fauna box until it gets bigger though.

Andyn6969

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just recently bought a T Apophysis sling bout 1" i fed it a medium to large crik and it nailed it straight away crazy but ive found is a lot more docile than some of my Ts!! Only my L.para has taken a crik the same size as her!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thomas, yes, my baby came through the moult just fine!! I can't tell exactly how much bigger it is, I haven't caught it stretched out yet.
It is so pretty now!! Bright pink feet, bright leg stripes, and long reddish hair on the legs and abdomen. I wish they didn't grow out of that, it looks so cool!!!!!
So, you are getting a second one? That is great!!!!! Your housing set up looks good. Post pics when you get the new baby!!!!!

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I will do that. But i think i will get a smaller cave for it though;) Mine was out in the open this morning and it looks just gorgeus. Too bad i was in a hurry to go to work, would like a picture.

Last edited:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just recently bought a T Apophysis sling bout 1" i fed it a medium to large crik and it nailed it straight away crazy but ive found is a lot more docile than some of my Ts!! Only my L.para has taken a crik the same size as her!
Yes they do eat large prey;) But i would not put my hand in there with mine. It is not particularly docile:evil: