Theory: Ventral sexing might actually be good

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Y u tagged me?? Did I disagree with some previous comment of urs in this thread? Nevertheless, thank you for the information :angelic:it's helpful for a newbie like me :)
You rated my other post in the thread informative. It had some false info in it. Just letting you know.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I'm not a fan at all, nothing beats the old good exuvia "Sherlock I.D" IMO.

Aside for 0.1 Pelinobius muticus :-s for that males do not possess those unique rear legs like females.
Same with E.Pachypus. E.Murinus are sexually dismorphic which is even better

Trenor

Arachnoprince
no, ive never heard of anyone sexing solely based on how far apart the first pair of book lungs are. its all in the lips and furrow shape.
i pretty much only vent sex, it gets real easy if you practice in the sexing gallery here on AB. i rarely molt sex spiders.
Why would you not molt sex? It's easy to do and is a lot more reliable than vent sexing regardless of how much you practice. If you're using the photos on here that the owners never came back and confirmed that the guesses matched (via molt sexing) what they turned out to be then your practicing with what is likely wrong photos.

It's fun to play guess the sex with a vent pic but if someone sold a "sexed" T this way I'd likely not buy from them again.

Edit: Oh this is an old thread. It showed up as a new one in my feed for some reason.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Why would you not molt sex? It's easy to do and is a lot more reliable than vent sexing regardless of how much you practice. If you're using the photos on here that the owners never came back and confirmed that the guesses matched (via molt sexing) what they turned out to be then your practicing with what is likely wrong photos.

It's fun to play guess the sex with a vent pic but if someone sold a "sexed" T this way I'd likely not buy from them again.

Edit: Oh this is an old thread. It showed up as a new one in my feed for some reason.
They're always ripped where I need to look. I've been molt sexing a lot more in the past couple months. I'm getting better slowly.

sasker

Arachnoprince
For me, the only reason why I would vent sex is if a seller has several Ts of the same species and he allows me to have a close look at the underside of the spiders. I also ventral sex unsexed tarantulas that I purchased that have not molted yet in my care. It's always exciting to find out that you purchased a female and usually I cannot wait until the first molt. Still, it is only an indication at best and my guess still needs to be confirmed after the molt.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
They're always ripped where I need to look. I've been molt sexing a lot more in the past couple months. I'm getting better slowly.
But if the photo is not later confirmed to be female or male (spermathecae sexing) then how do you know what you're studying is actually right? I got the general consensus that several of my Ts were one sex and then they turned out to be the other. If you study those photos to learn what to look for then you're learning from bad information as the group guess is wrong.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
For me, the only reason why I would vent sex is if a seller has several Ts of the same species and he allows me to have a close look at the underside of the spiders. I also ventral sex unsexed tarantulas that I purchased that have not molted yet in my care. It's always exciting to find out that you purchased a female and usually I cannot wait until the first molt. Still, it is only an indication at best and my guess still needs to be confirmed after the molt.
That's me too. I might try a guess in that case but to know what I have for sure I require spermathecae sexing. You might get a suspected male/female tag without spermathecae sexing but you won't get a male/female tag without it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
But if the photo is not later confirmed to be female or male (spermathecae sexing) then how do you know what you're studying is actually right? I got the general consensus that several of my Ts were one sex and then they turned out to be the other. If you study those photos to learn what to look for then you're learning from bad information as the group guess is wrong.
Regardless, that's how I practice.