Their Loss, My Gain

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
My cousin texted me saying his friend was moving, and couldn't keep his "white knee". Asked if I would take it. Side note, my family has always been into exotics, but they haven't all been the optimal keepers, particularly those outside of my immediate family. I think we all know there's a subset that isn't well informed on husbandry, whether they keep reptiles or arachnids, and doesn't research enough to know their care is subpar. So my hopes were not high as far as current husbandry.

Surprisingly the enclosure was labelled, including the scientific name. The setup was not nearly as bad as I was expecting - although I was probably picturing the worst case scenario. Not enough substrate, it was bone dry, and they gave it this dumb decoration instead of a proper hide. Maybe a little oversized horizontally, and the depth is less than I personally like to give my spiders.

Anyway, here's my new addition! She(🤞) came with the name Oreo; I generally don't name mine but since I already have another genic, it'll be an easy way for me to keep them separate in my head. Pretty sure she's in premolt, so I'm gonna wait until she finishes her business and correct the setup.

View attachment 381162 View attachment 381164
View attachment 381163
That is one nice looking genic. Getting ready to order one of those with some others on my list. Can't go crazy have limited space for at least 3 more.

I don't count spiderling size I'm looking at the bigger picture, (no pun intended). Room for adult size T's.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Yeah, it sucks, I know. If it's a T you really want a female of, you're better off spending a little bit extra for a sexed female than playing sling lottery. It's what I did with my B. hamorii over almost 10 years ago. Best money I've ever spent as far as getting new Ts go.
That'll probably be my next move. Any species I keep I want to at least grow one up from a sling though. I didn't pay anything for this one so I'm not too hurt about it.
Yeah man it does look male :/ sorry 😢
Thanks man - side note, in this moment I wish the "thanks" react didn't look so cheery 😅
If it hooks out male can't you search the classified on the boards, or even local breeders, they're usually listing the males required at any given time.
Oh yeah well aware.
That is one nice looking genic. Getting ready to order one of those with some others on my list. Can't go crazy have limited space for at least 3 more.

I don't count spiderling size I'm looking at the bigger picture, (no pun intended). Room for adult size T's.
Smart move! I'm gonna have to buy bigger shelves eventually for everything I have 😅 3 dozen arachnids, a dozen millipedes, and two isopod cultures have nearly filled my wall, lol. Luckily I should just be able to buy 6' shelves to replace my 4'ers. The other two walls are dedicated to the snakes so I'll have to figure it out either way!

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I nearly made a super happy post about it actually being a she...then I put my glasses on. Initially, based on the reference post below, I thought it was female after all. Then I looked closer and saw the tiny spermathecae, I thought they'd be bigger. @emartinm28 already commented on my first post, saying they're pretty sure it's male after all :sad: Figured I'd at least update y'all here, and I'm linking a second photo I took with my macro lens here (took before I noticed their comment - wasn't happy with the first pic after uploading). Unless they're even tinier than the reference genic's...looks like I have a second male. Thanks for all your input. The spider moved a bit after I turned on the light too, and I think I see emboli - they're white at the moment but I assume they'll darken like cherlicerae do? I've never caught a clear view of a mature male's palps immediately after a molt.

Reference post: https://arachnoboards.com/gallery/acanthoscurria-geniculata-sub-adult-10-5cm.76385/

My first pic: https://arachnoboards.com/gallery/20210413_123129-jpg.76788/

My macro shot. Even though I'm already pretty sure it's male, I think this is a cool shot.

thedragonslapper

Arachnosquire
It's a male, unfortunately. That black round spot just next to the furrow is something I've seen with a genic that I worked with (not mine) and it eventually hooked out. Unless I'm mistaken, it's either an additional spinneret for sperm web construction or that's where the male's sperm comes down from. Sorry to burst your bubble, man. Enjoy him while you can and make sure he gets a chance to pass on his genes to the next generation.
Sigh...well at least was a free adoption. Sell him/loan him to a breeder when he comes of age. We can always use more captive Ts for the future of the lobby.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
My cousin texted me saying his friend was moving, and couldn't keep his "white knee". Asked if I would take it. Side note, my family has always been into exotics, but they haven't all been the optimal keepers, particularly those outside of my immediate family. I think we all know there's a subset that isn't well informed on husbandry, whether they keep reptiles or arachnids, and doesn't research enough to know their care is subpar. So my hopes were not high as far as current husbandry.

Surprisingly the enclosure was labelled, including the scientific name. The setup was not nearly as bad as I was expecting - although I was probably picturing the worst case scenario. Not enough substrate, it was bone dry, and they gave it this dumb decoration instead of a proper hide. Maybe a little oversized horizontally, and the depth is less than I personally like to give my spiders.

Anyway, here's my new addition! She(🤞) came with the name Oreo; I generally don't name mine but since I already have another genic, it'll be an easy way for me to keep them separate in my head. Pretty sure she's in premolt, so I'm gonna wait until she finishes her business and correct the setup.

View attachment 381162 View attachment 381164
View attachment 381163
Can only be a good day when there is a genic involved. 😍

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
When you're ready for a new sling and want a confirmed female, if you're in the US I recommend buying from Kiffnie Holt. She's the best seller IMO -- not only an expert at sexing even the tiniest sizes, but prices are very fair and has the best shipping packaging of any seller I've ever worked with. Check out her info in the seller profiles.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
It'd be a great day if at least one of them had turned out female 😂
Yeah thats a bit of a shame. BTW, in large examples of genics if there is white that "bleeds" into the leg section not just the band of white, in my experience they tend to be female. Not scientific and 100% accurate but it has never let me down so far. Just something to consider if you can't get vent or moult pictures.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Yeah thats a bit of a shame. BTW, in large examples of genics if there is white that "bleeds" into the leg section not just the band of white, in my experience they tend to be female. Not scientific and 100% accurate but it has never let me down so far. Just something to consider if you can't get vent or moult pictures.
Having trouble visualizing what you mean... What's your opinion on this?

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Having trouble visualizing what you mean... What's your opinion on this?
Looks to be a fairly young spider so harder to tell. If more than say 4 or 5 inches, as I see little evidence of the "bleeding" into the legs, I would be leaning towards male.