The webbing thread

Shawnee

Arachnosquire
Hello there. One of my favorite things about tarantulas is their silk, and what they do with it. I thought I'd put a request for everyone to share some pictures of webbing your tarantula has done, along with which species it belongs to. Love to see the different creativity of the spiders :p

This is the picture of mine that sparked my idea to post the thread. I thought it was interesting that this T used the air holes as anchor points for the web. This web belonged to an H. himalayana

Can't wait to see yours!

Shawnee

Arachnosquire
Gorgeous!! I love seeing babies in a nice intricate web!!

I'd also love to throw a question out there for you folks: As we know there are some species that will make very intricate and prominent webbing when they are not given enough substrate to burrow properly. Do you guys think it's ok to do that so they create a lot of web, or should they all be given a lot of dirt?

louise f

Arachnoangel
Gorgeous!! I love seeing babies in a nice intricate web!!

I'd also love to throw a question out there for you folks: As we know there are some species that will make very intricate and prominent webbing when they are not given enough substrate to burrow properly. Do you guys think it's ok to do that so they create a lot of web, or should they all be given a lot of dirt?
The babies is C.darlingi with mom showing a little of her leggies ;) I still give them a good amount of substrate even if they web a lot. :)

VelvetCollar

Arachnopeon
Haha!! Oh my goodness, that literally is a webbed mound. Never seen something quite like that :p I think your tarantula is an ant therian lmao
Definitely not how i imagined the enclosure when i put the ''plants'' and hide in there, looks great though.

Tar

Arachnosquire
This is my c.burmensis,it's not really as intricate or beautiful compared to others but...hey

Attachments

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
C.marshalli

This pic was taken prior to her molt; after she become more badass (like i love) and enjoying a bit more the "outside", standing on her burrow like a sentinel. Needless to say, that horn, now, a joy to watch :-s

Boudicca - Copia.JPG

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
P.murinus

Again, pic taken prior the molt. Now this baby isn't that much of a web lover, she web more "inside" the burrow (i offered her a cork and lot of inches of substrate) rather than outside (i have an happy water dish of course) :-s

Ah ah, unlike her enclosure neighbour C.marshalli, after the molt, she turned more reclusive than before if that's possible (now i feed her directly from her burrow entrance: tongs, cricket, little jump of the crick, chelicerae, 'OBT' dance, done.

OBT.JPG

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
P.cambridgei

Wimpy is your average web/mess with dirt (like they love mostly) P.cambridgei. Now she (i suspect she's a female but need another molt) is behind the cork, disappearing for pre-molt time.

Wimpy 2.jpg

Btw the enclosure is the classic, cheap, glass made Germany/Hungary one/s we love to use in Europe :-s

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
A few more for your viewing pleasure :D

First one is of my juvenile H. incei. Notice the fresh molt off to the side! I only knew about the molt from taking the picture a few minutes ago.
IMG_0805.JPG

Same specimen, look at the feet!
IMG_0807.JPG

Juvenile H. maculata who has completely ignored the webbing anchors I provided. "No thanks, I'll make my own."
IMG_0809.JPG

Adult female P. striata who has inexplicably started webbing just the last week. There wasn't an ounce of webbing in this enclosure a few days ago, not sure what's gotten into her. Premolt, perhaps?
IMG_0810.JPG

Okay, so this may not be a tarantula, but is this my adult female Acanthogonatus francki who has a very impressive web tube. Those that keep true spiders know that their webbing is in a different league than tarantula webbing.
IMG_0811.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Some more!

Best picture I could get of my subadult female C. fimbriatus. She's webbed the lid so much that it's just foggy, you can barely see through it. She's also freshly molted!
IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG

My recently matured H. sp. "Columbia" small. Cool points to whoever can tell me where that tiki is from ;)
IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0817.JPG

The obligatory C. cyaneopubescens picture. She's only been in here about a month, so she's got more work to do still. She actually bolted out of her enclosure from the flash, about gave me a heart attack. She's back in there, although rightly angry.
IMG_0818.JPG

And lastly, since making a winter wonderland out of anchor points isn't the only thing webbing is used for, this is my adult female C. darlingi. Holding up dirt from cave-ins is far more impressive than making web hammocks!
pet hole.JPG

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Here's my juvie C. fimbriatus, bolted into her web tunnel when the lid was removed. She is in the open most of the time.
@EulersK, tiki from Kahiki Polynesian restaurant?

Attachments