The Voice of Reason or a HOT Steamy...

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Load of STUFF?

Recently, I have been really enthusiastic about getting more T's and have picked up a couple that can be considered "more hot" than others. :rolleyes: In my case, "hot" has no bearing cuz I'm allergic to bees, so pretty certain a T bite will have a similar or worse effect on me. :eek:

Anyhoo... several people have been commenting on my choice of pet and dampening my enthusiasm. I'm bummed! I mean, I'm a responsible adult (40+ with grown children in college) and I am very respectful of the T's when doing maintenance. I very, very seldom handle a T and only the ones that are suggested to be "easy handlers", etc.

Should I just ignore these comments or is there any reason for me to take heed to them? I am somewhat of a "thrill seeker" type personality, but I am not going to be handwrestling a Pokie or the likes. I'm more likely to drive a fast car FAST! or climb a tall tree... not death wish!

Thanks!
~Aminah

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm allergic to bees, so pretty certain a T bite will have a similar or worse effect on me. :eek:
I'm pretty sure people who know more about the science than I do have posted that bee allergy has no bearing on tarantula venom allergy, and furthermore that nobody's actually allergic to tarantula venom anyway. ;)

Anyhoo... several people have been commenting on my choice of pet and dampening my enthusiasm...Should I just ignore these comments or is there any reason for me to take heed to them?
What are they talking about, specifically? Who's saying these things? :? This post does not give us much to work with.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Load of STUFF?

Recently, I have been really enthusiastic about getting more T's and have picked up a couple that can be considered "more hot" than others. :rolleyes: In my case, "hot" has no bearing cuz I'm allergic to bees, so pretty certain a T bite will have a similar or worse effect on me. :eek:
T venom and bee venom are totally different. You shouldnt have anything to worry about

Should I just ignore these comments or is there any reason for me to take heed to them? I am somewhat of a "thrill seeker" type personality, but I am not going to be handwrestling a Pokie or the likes. I'm more likely to drive a fast car FAST! or climb a tall tree... not death wish!
Ignore them if you like tarantulas. Its safe to say that about everyone here goes thru something similar. If you are 40+ then you are old enough to make your own decisions

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It would be helpful to know some of the things people are telling you so we can address them specifically. At any rate, I agree with others that if you would like to have tarantulas you are certainly old enough to make that decision yourself.

As for the allergic reaction I don't believe you have anything to worry about.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
but I am not going to be handwrestling a Pokie or the likes. I'm more likely to drive a fast car FAST! or climb a tall tree... not death wish!

Thanks!
~Aminah
chance of dying holding a pokie (as a result, thereof) = 0.000001%
chance of dying being bitten by a poke (as a direct result, thereof) = ~0.001% possibly less, possibly more

# of people killed by holding tarantulas = 0
# of people killed by tarantulaism = 0 on record

# of people killed in car accidents, globally, yearly = 1 million+
# of people killed in tree related accidents, globally, yearly >=1

so..... i have a hard time understanding which activities are risky and which aren't.

i am orders of magnitude safer playing with my pokies than driving on the freeway =P

n.b. all statistics are made up. there are no documented cases of tarantulism resulting in death that i am aware of, however

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
is it that you ask what should i get next? im a newbie?

just remember anytime newbie is mentioned, people put up red flags to certain species, its nothing to with how mature people might think you are... its just most newbies cant really comprehend how fast or aggressive and i use that word loosely, some species can be....and people are concerned because they want you to enjoy the experience of keeping T's...but there again im only guessing because im not sure what you are trying to say????i guess i need an example of what you have said and the responses:?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I will elaborate a little..

Both Tarantula hobbyists and Non-T hobbyists have said things like, "You need to be extremely careful since you have Bee allergies.. a bite from 'this' T could kill you (ie. A. versi, P. regalis, etc.)" or "Why do you want something that can produce such a painful, possibly deadly, bite when you know you have allergies to simple things like ants and mosquitoes, bees, etc.?"

Umm.. painful bite is likely with my Uromastyx, my very large Tokays, some of my Rodents.. not so much, venomous, but PAINFUL.. definitely!

I guess, I'm just asking out of curiousity.. what others more experienced may think of such comments. I'm not going to get rid of my T's. I may not even stop acquiring more T's. I just thought I would ask here.

Thanks!
~Aminah

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have allergies to bee's also (very badly) and did ALOT of research on tarantula venom before I got into the hobby. Since T's have such radically different venom and its basically impossible to be allergic to them I decided they are safe for me.

Do a search on T venom, read all the scientific mumbo jumbo and then you can tell people why T's aren't a threat to you.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aminah,
Listen Sweetie. I know you. You take good care of your animals and you are responsible with them.
Tell your friends (if you want to call them that, since they can't be supportive of your chosen hobby) that you appreciate their concern, but you happen to know that allergies to bee venom and tarantula venom are completely different, and even if they weren't, you aren't stupid enough to treat a tarantula in a disruptive enough way to cause it to bite.
You are an adult. Do as you choose. If they don't like it, they don't have to be near you or your babies. End of story. They deal or they walk. If they are real friends and they care about you, they will deal. If they walk, you aren't loosing anything.
Hugs Babe,
Mina

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks Everyone! I really appreciate that I can come here and ask a question and get responsible, knowledgeable answers in a reasonable amount of time.

(((hugs))) Mina! :D

kimski

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Welp, I don't know how timely I am in the response - but, who is telling you what? I work at a University - and you'd think my colleages would be (a little) more intelligent - but you should hear some of the remarks I get!
I agree with Windchaser and everybody else who replied. From what I understand it's like mixing apples and oranges; the venom is from an entirely different species.
I can call my colleagues up at Cal State San Bernadino where they have a dynamite entomology dept. and find out if they know anything.
Follow your Heart (especially when it comes to Tarantulas!) Take care, Kim Ski

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are always going to be people/friends telling you Ts are venomous, dangerous, you'll be highly allergic, etc. Do what you want, within reason. Be respectful and careful with the Ts, and dont worry so much what others think. Most people I know think Ts are highly venomous, dangerous monsters, sad, but true.