Problem "The uploaded file is too large"

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know my images are fairly large (8-15MB usually), but I swear I've never encountered this issue until recently.

Just tried to upload a 9MB .jpg, which is on the lower end of my usual file sizes, only to meet the error.

FireShot Capture 065 - Scorpion Picture Thread - Page 210 - Arachnoboards - arachnoboards.com.png

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
There is a 2MB limit, but you’re likely getting that error due to the dimensions and or the mp. I have to resolve all my images down to minimum 18mp to be able to avoid that error. Maybe this can help you, or resize to a factor of 1,280px x 1,280px. That’s what I do. Or simply upload a smaller file size!

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is a 2MB limit, but you’re likely getting that error due to the dimensions and or the mp. I have to resolve all my images down to minimum 18mp to be able to avoid that error. Maybe this can help you, or resize to a factor of 1,280px x 1,280px. That’s what I do. Or simply upload a smaller file size!
That's weird that prior to this last week, that limit has never affected my uploads. The last image I uploaded (May 31st) is nearly 10MB, and of a resolution approx. 5000 x 3600. Did something change in the last two weeks?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Are you trying to upload an attachment, or are you trying to upload to the media gallery?

Attachment limitations are the same for everyone:

5MB & 1920 x 1920 pixels

If uploading an image larger than those limitations, the forum software will try to resize the image to meet them. If the forum software cannot resize the image to meet those limitations, the image will be rejected (which may be the case with the image you received the error with).

Gallery limitations vary by usergroups. More information on that can be found here:

Hope that helps.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Just a suggestion. Take into account who your audience is when positing images. If it's an ID shot going for high res as trying to sex an animal, resize the image down until a loss of clarity is noticed then back up one step. If your viewers are most on cell phones, or the pictures are of scenery, anything above a 1 MB or so image isn't likely to be noticed. Way way too many images are out there of unnecessary pre press high res quality that isn't going to be noticed on anything less that a high end entertainment center with a large wide screen display.

On my 24 inch monitor with 1980 x 1020 resolution the difference between the original 3 MB image and this 117 kB isn't noticeable unless you make a careful side by side comparison.