The trapdoor who won't trapdoor :(

Carlo Mendoza

Arachnopeon
Np - if you live in an area where there is clay outside and in an area where pesticide isn't sprayed, you could harvest some. There's a thread here somewhere about things to think about when harvesting clay as to not destroy habitat for wild spiders, cause erosion, etc.

Seeing as you only have one guy, you might only need a bit to mix with soil to create a good, form holding substrate.
would clay be available in gardening stores? 'cos i live in an urban area. not much soil around, and clay less likely.

Carlo Mendoza

Arachnopeon
Bentonite clay powder would work well. you can find it at health food stores, but it would probably be cheaper if you purchase it from somewhere that doesnt sell it as a snake oil supplement lol
i haven't heard of bentonite but if it's guaranteed safe for our arachnids, i'll check out the store.

Carlo Mendoza

Arachnopeon
it's been 8 days since he encased himself. he's still inside that web/substrate capsule thingy. anyone got ideas? i saw movement after i used LED light, so i'm not very worried. i don't want to open her capsule and stress her :p

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it's been 8 days since he encased himself. he's still inside that web/substrate capsule thingy. anyone got ideas? i saw movement after i used LED light, so i'm not very worried. i don't want to open her capsule and stress her :p
It is probably getting ready to molt inside that web capsule. Resist messing with it. Trapdoors can be frustrating. They are literally pet holes you only see them for a second every once in a while and then there gone for sometimes long periods of time. My job used to have me digging trenches through a large trapdoor population and I used to try to dig as many out as I could find to relocate .they seem to make capsules as you call it down in there burrow to molt in so even though it has not burrowed it is probably going to try and molt first. I wouldn't worry .

Carlo Mendoza

Arachnopeon
It is probably getting ready to molt inside that web capsule. Resist messing with it. Trapdoors can be frustrating. They are literally pet holes you only see them for a second every once in a while and then there gone for sometimes long periods of time. My job used to have me digging trenches through a large trapdoor population and I used to try to dig as many out as I could find to relocate .they seem to make capsules as you call it down in there burrow to molt in so even though it has not burrowed it is probably going to try and molt first. I wouldn't worry .
he wrapped himself since January 28, i expect pre-molts to take 2-3 weeks, i hope he'll do fine. thankyou!

Carlo Mendoza

Arachnopeon
okay, here's the twist, it turns out i'm actually keeping a purse-web spider and not a trapdoor spider! thanks to a trusted T mentor from my local facebook group who goes by the name Heteroscodra Maculata! any opinions regarding this specie?

Ambly

Arachnobaron
it'll either make it's home under bark or right up a wall - I'd give it a tall enclosure and still provide 5-8 inches of substrate. I've got 3 in a ten gallon with a home made front opening lid. You could easily go more simple. You could prob even keep it open air, like a log sticking out of a 5 gallon bucket... it will never leave it's tube.

Carlo Mendoza

Arachnopeon
it'll either make it's home under bark or right up a wall - I'd give it a tall enclosure and still provide 5-8 inches of substrate. I've got 3 in a ten gallon with a home made front opening lid. You could easily go more simple. You could prob even keep it open air, like a log sticking out of a 5 gallon bucket... it will never leave it's tube.
are we talking of trapdoors? or purse-webs?