The trapdoor who won't trapdoor :(

Carlo Mendoza

Arachnopeon
Coco fiber doesn't seem to be there favariot substrate but I do have one housed in it She has moved 3 times. I much prefer a topsoil and peat mix for trapdoors with a thin layer of clay at the bottom of enclosure. Be careful with topsoil I got some that contained mushrooms and ended up unexpectedly transferring my trapdoor to another enclosure and that's why one of my females ended up in straight coco fiber substrate. As far as borrowing make sure starter hole is just big enough for it to fit not to big and about a inch down. A trick I use to get my trapdoors to burrow where I want them is to use a 1" plastic pipe fitting and place it over the hole with the starter hole at the edge of fitting. and put the spider inside it will walk around the inside until it comes to the hole and will then usually go right in. They can't climb the plastic. You can also prekill a cricket and place in fitting as well it may eat it otherwise it will construct burrow first which can take a while anywhere between a couple days to a couple of weeks or longer. Welcome to the world of pet holes.
btw, he won't move much unless poked with something. i think i need to guide him right in the hole.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You don't need to guide it. If it's going to burrow, it will. It's how they live. Good luck with it.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just another thought, but some species prefer substrate at an angle to burrow into. I used to have a couple species that didn't really burrow until I set them up like that. But even then, it still took them a couple days to settle in.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Now I don't know much about trapdoor spiders, but I think coconut fiber is not a good substrate for them. They need something more like actual soil, potting soil or clay mixed in with sand would probably work.

Carlo Mendoza

Arachnopeon
Just another thought, but some species prefer substrate at an angle to burrow into. I used to have a couple species that didn't really burrow until I set them up like that. But even then, it still took them a couple days to settle in.
i think i need to make a small hill then, or maybe a few slopes. i'll try. thanks mate!

Carlo Mendoza

Arachnopeon
Now I don't know much about trapdoor spiders, but I think coconut fiber is not a good substrate for them. They need something more like actual soil, potting soil or clay mixed in with sand would probably work.
i think i will find a suitable mix, i have fertilizer-free potting soil and coco peat for now. i don't like using vermiculite 'cos they seem dusty.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
These guys, unlike some T's, really ball up and throw their substrate to clear their burrow - that is essential. Something loamy and clay like would be good to throw in there, too. If you can find a spot outside with some good clay and source it responsibly, that'd be a good option to mix in with other substrate to lighten it a bit. Keep on, you're doing well.

You're not alone in this struggle. I've not been on here in many months, but is there still a suggestions area or care sheets?

There should really be a general trapdoor care sheet... suggested substrates for each trapdoor family AND suggestions as to how to determine what substrate may work should you not know the species. They seem to be treated as "just throw it in peat moss"

stevoblue

Arachnopeon
This is what I did for my Cyphonisia sp. a week before I got it.
I made a mixture of about half coconut coir and sphagnum peat moss from a garden center. (Not the sphagnum moss from the pet store.) I wet it until squeezing a handful produced a good tight clump. I put a layer in the enclosure and pressed it down. I kept doing this until I reached the height that i wanted. I then poked a pencil at an angle to the bottom. I then compacted it a little more. Before I unpacked the spider i took out the pencil and made a shallow thumb tip size indentation over the pencil hole. The spider settled down on the imprint and had its door made a couple of days later.

Carlo Mendoza

Arachnopeon
These guys, unlike some T's, really ball up and throw their substrate to clear their burrow - that is essential. Something loamy and clay like would be good to throw in there, too. If you can find a spot outside with some good clay and source it responsibly, that'd be a good option to mix in with other substrate to lighten it a bit. Keep on, you're doing well.

You're not alone in this struggle. I've not been on here in many months, but is there still a suggestions area or care sheets?

There should really be a general trapdoor care sheet... suggested substrates for each trapdoor family AND suggestions as to how to determine what substrate may work should you not know the species. They seem to be treated as "just throw it in peat moss"
exactly, can't find a very good caresheet regarding these magnificent creatures. i'm relying solely on random caresheets then mixing up the ideas all together.

Carlo Mendoza

Arachnopeon
This is what I did for my Cyphonisia sp. a week before I got it.
I made a mixture of about half coconut coir and sphagnum peat moss from a garden center. (Not the sphagnum moss from the pet store.) I wet it until squeezing a handful produced a good tight clump. I put a layer in the enclosure and pressed it down. I kept doing this until I reached the height that i wanted. I then poked a pencil at an angle to the bottom. I then compacted it a little more. Before I unpacked the spider i took out the pencil and made a shallow thumb tip size indentation over the pencil hole. The spider settled down on the imprint and had its door made a couple of days later.
wow this is awesome, i have an update, posting it right now, hang on.

Carlo Mendoza

Arachnopeon
UPDATE 9 days later: still no burrow and trapdoor, but today, the trapdoor made some kind of small room above the substrate, enclosed in web and a thin layer of the substrate itself. i don't know exactly what it is. there are no entrances or whatsoever. he encased himself inside it. here are the images i shot just now...
11140056_10208072382829233_7270250823147673652_n.jpg
12642549_10208072384949286_2244812663527375622_n.jpg

Ambly

Arachnobaron
your best bet is to avoid caresheets all together and try and learn about it's natural environment, where it came from, etc. - that'll help guide you to proper substrate. Your trappie might be molting if it's done that - I'd say it's a good sign for now and to leave it be while you set it up another enclosure

Carlo Mendoza

Arachnopeon
your best bet is to avoid caresheets all together and try and learn about it's natural environment, where it came from, etc. - that'll help guide you to proper substrate. Your trappie might be molting if it's done that - I'd say it's a good sign for now and to leave it be while you set it up another enclosure
oh, but he just ate yesterday, i'm not sure if he's pre-molt already. but if he will stay in there for 2 weeks, maybe :eek: i need to find potting soil and clay then. i'm gonna mix these 2 with coco peat. hope i'll do fine :/

Ambly

Arachnobaron
They're survivors. He'll be okay. Make sure your substrate holes some form - try balling up a little bit in your hand - and you will be fine! Good luck and keep us updated.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
many trapdoors in general strongly prefer clay. Especially ctenizidae.

Pure clay- pulverized into a fine powder, then saturated well is much better. Introduce them while the clay is still moist-ish. they sculpt and tunnel during moist conditions.

One important note- Trapdoors enter a perpetual state of stress outside their burrow. Without a burrow it will not live for long.

Carlo Mendoza

Arachnopeon
many trapdoors in general strongly prefer clay. Especially ctenizidae.

Pure clay- pulverized into a fine powder, then saturated well is much better. Introduce them while the clay is still moist-ish. they sculpt and tunnel during moist conditions.

One important note- Trapdoors enter a perpetual state of stress outside their burrow. Without a burrow it will not live for long.
i am in search of chemical free gardening clay right now.. thank you mate!

Ambly

Arachnobaron
Np - if you live in an area where there is clay outside and in an area where pesticide isn't sprayed, you could harvest some. There's a thread here somewhere about things to think about when harvesting clay as to not destroy habitat for wild spiders, cause erosion, etc.

Seeing as you only have one guy, you might only need a bit to mix with soil to create a good, form holding substrate.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Bentonite clay powder would work well. you can find it at health food stores, but it would probably be cheaper if you purchase it from somewhere that doesnt sell it as a snake oil supplement lol