The Tragic End of True King Baboon Love

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by deifiler
yeah i guess im a 'type before you think' kind of person, ill change my ways though

whenever i see your pic i think your playin tennis for some reason :p
Hey, you watch me on here long enough, you'll for sure catch me typing before thinking... we all do, don't worry... :)

Playing tennis?? "Playing Tennis", "Holding a 10-lb Carp I just caught" .... yeah, I guess they're kinda the same :p

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
im the "its my baby" type ^_^ shes the only girl for me :D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet

Playing tennis?? "Playing Tennis", "Holding a 10-lb Carp I just caught" .... yeah, I guess they're kinda the same :p
I've also noticed what he's talking about. At first glance, the fish kind of looks like the shape of a tennis (or at least raquetball) raquet.

About the letting-the-female-eat-the-male issue, it often happens so fast there's nothing you can do about it even if you're ready with your wrangling tools. Once she's crunched him, there's not much to do but let her eat him. I generally try to save the male if possible, but sometimes it isn't.

Wade

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by Mister Internet
I dunno.... she isn't whining nearly enough, and her abdomen's not the size of a tennis ball...
Don't you mean a medicine ball?

;P

Scott

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
Originally posted by deifiler
I just feel a bit against using your pets just for breeding and money or whatever... I'd never purposely let one of mine die... i guess i feel stronger due to recent events with my scorpion in near death situations :S
hey defi--

the main purpose of breeding (aside from the obvious benefit of learning a little more about tarantula breeding in general) is to keep many different species available to the tarantula enthusiast population without going out into the wild and removing the tarantulas from their natural habitat. captive bred tarantulas are better because 1) the chance of parasitic infection is almost nil; 2) certain species of tarantula are endangered because folks who enter the tarantula's habitat not only swipe several specimens, but destroy burrows, wreck the landscape, etc...; 3) captive bred spiderlings have a better chance at survival because they do not have to face "the circle of life syndrome" thus insuring the future of certain species of tarantula; and 4) the more common a species of tarantula is, the less money the average enthusiast will have to pay for it.

i, too, am more of a "pet-owner" than "breeder." but i appreciate the breeders and realize that without their sacrifice of the occassional male tarantula, i would not have such a vast array of species from which to choose from, nor would there be shallow pricing.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade
About the letting-the-female-eat-the-male issue, it often happens so fast there's nothing you can do about it even if you're ready with your wrangling tools. Once she's crunched him, there's not much to do but let her eat him. I generally try to save the male if possible, but sometimes it isn't.

Wade
Too true, have a look at Guy Tansley's site http://www.giantspiders.com

Check out the video section(in the galery, from memory), there is some footage of a KB female devouring the male during breeding. Nobody could have stopped it, they don't just pounce on their prey, they crash tackle it(in this case, also a male)! I'd recommend anyone who may think that it could have been saved to have a look at this video footage, it's a real eye opener. Then you'll understand, it ain't like breeding Brachy's, for example. I'd also recommend anyone who wants to handle the big Africans have a look, you may think twice ;)

Steve

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Too true, have a look at Guy Tansley's site http://www.giantspiders.com

Check out the video section(in the galery, from memory), there is some footage of a KB female devouring the male during breeding. Nobody could have stopped it, they don't just pounce on their prey, they crash tackle it(in this case, also a male)! I'd recommend anyone who may think that it could have been saved to have a look at this video footage, it's a real eye opener. Then you'll understand, it ain't like breeding Brachy's, for example. I'd also recommend anyone who wants to handle the big Africans have a look, you may think twice ;)

Steve
I ogled over some of those videos a few weks back. THose are teh ebst tarantula videos I have ever seen. The one where teh caption syas to turn up the speakers to hear the male drumming his palps blew my mind. No male tarantulas I have experience with have ever done anything that vigorously.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Poor little guy. At least hes contributed to the next generation in more than one way. :(

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Well honestly I always thought you were holding a tennis racquet as well....though I'll admit I'm usually too busy gazing at your arms than paying attention to what you're holding in your hands. :8o

Leanne

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by LPacker79
Well honestly I always thought you were holding a tennis racquet as well....though I'll admit I'm usually too busy gazing at your arms than paying attention to what you're holding in your hands. :8o

Leanne
Well, I just thought you played tennis using fish.

Steve