The term captivity

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Sorry, I missed yours. I admit I started to skim after the first page.
No worries :)

Thread kinda gongshowed. But my premise was that for whatever reason people need to feel good about what they do/feel/say and come up with inventive ways to sleep at night so to speak. I agree about the cage vs enclosure point that you made. It sums up my argument exactly. I respect people like you who call a spade a spade.

AwkwardLettuce

Arachnopeon
I always associated it with being safe.
Like endangered species being raised in captivity to protect them.
I know tarantulas aren't going extinct but that's what just my word association.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
This thread is funny as it has nothing to do with a tarantulas' well-being rather about using euphemisms to make yourselves and others feel better about keeping animals (in this case tarantulas) in "captivity". It doesn't matter what you call it the results are the same. And while I'm on the subject, just let me say "cage". I'm so sick of writing "enclosure", in fact I cringe a little every time I do, I only do so because I know I'll get a bunch flak for using cage. But call it a enclosure all you want, it's still a cage, It's just two words for the same thing, one just sounds nicer. That's the end of my rant, sorry if anyone was offended, but I really hate feel-good euphemisms.
I don't call them cages because it's literally not the definition of cage. "a structure of bars or wires in which birds or other animals are confined." it's made of solid plastic, calling it a cage is a misnomer. But sure if you want us all to feel really bad about ourselves, yeah we took tarantulas out of their natural habitats, stuck them in cages for our amusement and think we're doing a great job of keeping them happy and healthy when we really have no idea if we are.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I don't call them cages because it's literally not the definition of cage. "a structure of bars or wires in which birds or other animals are confined." it's made of solid plastic, calling it a cage is a misnomer. But sure if you want us all to feel really bad about ourselves, yeah we took tarantulas out of their natural habitats, stuck them in cages for our amusement and think we're doing a great job of keeping them happy and healthy when we really have no idea if we are.
Lol, first, that definition is just semantics. Does it really make a difference if a cage is 'bars or wire' or 'plastic or glass'? It's still designed to keep a animal caged. And I don't want anyone to feel bad, if I did I would be a hypocrite as I'm doing the same thing. Really, I just don't like nonsense feel-good terms. As far as it goes I don't lose a minutes sleep over keeping animals in appropriately sized and designed cages, and I don't think anyone else should either. But to each their own.

Last edited: