1. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews & reports. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

The Tarantula Keepers Guide - Schultz & Schultz

Discussion in 'Book and Magazine Reviews' started by MrDeranged, Jul 17, 2002.

1. MrDeranged

MrDeranged He Who Rules Staff Member

Advertisement
    Positive

This is one of the few books that should be in the home of every tarantula owner. Basically a Tarantula Keepers Bible. The BEST book out there. If you follow this book you should have no problems with your T. I would highly recommend that anyone with a T who doesn't own it, go out and buy it.

Scott

2. tdark1

tdark1 Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

Neutral

For me I thought it was a bit too scientific, espically for people new to tarantula keeping. But it did have a great deal of information for everyone. I just got lost with some of the science, and IMO some parts were really boring!!!!!!!

3. Buspirone

Buspirone Arachnoprince Old Timer

POSITIVE

Great book. If you aren't a science enthusiast you may want to skip the first 70 pages or so and get to the more practical information. I would also recommend checking out the ADDENDA AND ERRATA and COMPREHENSIVE INDEX found on the Shultz's Website:

http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/aftermarket.html

The index in the actual book is practically useless. The comprehensive index available on the site above will help you find anything you need without reading through the whole book again to find it. If you own or plan to own more than a couple tarantulas you NEED this book.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  4. wayneo

wayneo Arachnosquire Old Timer

5. Iowa T Keeper

Iowa T Keeper Arachnosquire Old Timer

Positive

Probably the best non-fiction book I have ever read. It was informative and interesting. Most of the advice about keeping I knew already from the net but the stuff about the fight for the environment and the taxonomy information was cool IMO. I will be purchasing this book for sure.

6. tarantula_tom

tarantula_tom Arachnosquire Old Timer

The Tarantula Keeper's Guide, by Schultz and Schultz

Positive!

This book is a must for anyone new coming into the hobby of keeping T's. I havent had a T since '93 and before i started keeping them again at the beginning of '04 i bought this book first that showed me how to REALLY take care of a T. Housing, feeding, substrate, telltale signs of sex, insights on breeding, catching wild T's, everything a newbie needs is in this book.

7. Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Arachnoboards Team Staff Member

USA
    Administrator Notice

Due to a bug in the forum software, we needed to split some reviews for this book into another thread. Those reviews can be found here.

Thanks,

The Arachnoboards Team

8. BakuBak

BakuBak Arachnolord Old Timer

" B+ "

in this book U wont find any species descriptions and it is why only " b+ "

but it is greate book and U need to read it !!

9. druid8783

druid8783 Arachnosquire Old Timer

POSTIVE

Simply wonderful. A must for any one who keeps or is interested in tarantulas. I found the in-depth explainations and definitions particularly interesting. Great pictures!

10. becca81

becca81 Arachnoemperor Old Timer

This is a good book, but it does seem to condone having WC specimens. Very informative and well-written.

11. MountinGal

MountinGal Arachnopeon

Positive!

As a newbie, I found this book to be very informative. I even found the scientific parts interesting, although the practicalside is much more useful. I haven't even bought my first T. yet but when I do this book will be handy and nearby at all times!

12. Cpt.nemO

Cpt.nemO Arachnobaron Old Timer

I've bought a few in amazon.com but this is simply fantastic, A - because of no T descriptions.

13. Kid Dragon

Kid Dragon Arachnoprince Old Timer

Positive

This book is so good I had to buy two copies, my first copy was stolen at a show. My current copy has my name in permenent marker.

I give this book A+ because it was written with ethusiasm for a hobby the authors loved. Combines fact and opinion, natural history, care, breeding, ecology, politics, and lots of common sense. To date, the most important book published in the hobby.

I enjoyed it because it had a nice balance between science and husbandry. Some could have written more on T science, few could have written more on husbandry, nobody put them together like Schultz & Schultz. This book was a labor of love.

14. Great Book!!

Totally good in my opinion.

I bought this book a short while before I obtained my first T. Its a great incite into what little is known about these creatures and really opened my eyes to the world of the Tarantula. A 'must have' for any T keeper/enthusiast/ potential owner! :D :D

15. brigebane

brigebane Arachnoprince Old Timer

positive

I think my favorite section is definitely an apendix of available spiders along with a miriad of common names :)

16. Neutral-negative

-It is..informative, to be sure, but it seems informative about all the wrong things (to me). A whole chapter is about capturing tarantulas yourself, which I am not likely to do anytime soon, but that is about as concrete as I can explain it. I just flip through page after page and there is occasionally a passage I find well-written and insightful, but hardly all the time. (Do American authors get paid by the amount of words they write or is that a myth?)

It doesn't have a list of species descriptions, and it gives the world's most one-sided view of putting live plants in tarantula terrariums.
    I was going to comment on the food-section to see if they even mention roaches as an option, but I can't find it to save my life. You'd think 'cricket' would be in the index.

17. Daywalker

Daywalker Arachnosquire Old Timer

i give this book a 3 out of 5 because it dose have a lot of good info in it .

18. cacoseraph

cacoseraph ArachnoGod Old Timer

positive!

this book is awesome!

it is a nice step between all picture pamphlet "guides" and a upper level college text book.

there is fascinating chapters on physiology of tarantulas... a whole chapter guiding collecting your own spiders (including some stern warnings on the ethics of tearing up the countryside)

if you are looking for a species guide, you will be disappointed... but if you are looking to bring you deep understanding of tarantulas to the next level...

TTKG!!!!!

oh yeah, there is even sections on starting a club... photography (greek to me... but my gf assures me there is interesting stuff)... breeding (of course)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  19. A solid, factual benchmark written in a clear, no-nonsense fashion, this tome belongs beside your bed, with another copy in the T room.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.