The Tarantula Bibliography :: January 2016 :: Phormingochilus revision

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer

The Tarantula Bibliography :: January 2016 release :: Changes made to include the revision of Phormingochilus, Lampropelma and Cyriopagopus with resurrection of Omothymus and the junior synonymy of Haplopelma.

At present the family Theraphosidae is comprised of 977 species in 130 genera.

My Tarantula Bibliography has been updated to reflect the revision I have co-authored with Andrew M. Smith. You may download the full PDF Theraphosidae Species List using the link at the bottom of this post. If you want to read my blog post that contains a synopsis of the changes in this paper click here. I realize this paper has already caused quite a stir. I never read Arachnoboards or other forums or Facebook or other social media so I will not see your comments. Save your breath (or fingers). I post, then disappear.

Please understand that no pet trade material was examined for this revision. However, my personal and educated (yet unscientific and unpublished) feeling is that the hobby "Cyriopagopus sp. Sulawesi" is, in fact, Phormingochilus carpenteri, and "Cyriopagopus sp. Sumatra" is Phormingochilus fuchsi. Additionally, "Lampropelma sp. Borneo black” is still undescribed and was not mentioned by our paper, but should now be more appropriately called "Phormingochilus sp. Borneo black". Change your terrarium labels and price lists.

Smith, A.M. & M.A. Jacobi, 2015.

Revision of the genus Phormingochilus (Araneae, Theraphosidae, Ornithoctoninae) with the description of three new species from Sulawesi and Sarawak and notes on the placement of the genera Cyriopagopus, Lampropelma and Omothymus.

Journal of the British Tarantula Society 30(3): 25-48.

Here is a link to download a PDF of the the above article (for your use only).

LINKS

• To visit The Tarantula Bibliography click here.
  • To download the PDF species list click here.
  • To subscribe to my email updates click here