The TARANTULA BIBLIOGRAPHY :: February 2016 #2 :: U.S. Aphonopelma revision

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer

The Tarantula Bibliography :: February 2016 release #2 – U.S. Aphonopelma revision

My TARANTULA BIBLIOGRAPHY has been updated once again to include Hamilton, Hendrixson & Bond, 2016, which is a complete revision of U.S.A. Aphonopelma. Congrats to these guys, two of whom I know, on cleaning up this genus and doing right by our American theraphosids. In all they proposed 33 synonymies and considered 7 nomen dubium and then described 14 new species. Many of the species declared synonymies were described by Chamberlin, 1940 or Andrew Smith’s 1995 book Tarantula Spiders: Tarantulas of the U.S.A. and Mexico. Nice to see new species named after Dave Moellendorf and Tom Prentice, but sad to see the honorifics for early American tarantula arachnologists William Baerg and George O’Dell go away along with that for Andrew’s late mate Michael “Sully” Sullivan.

At present the family Theraphosidae is comprised of 952 species in 132 genera.

Hamilton, C.A., Hendrixson, B.E. & J.E. Bond. 2016.
Taxonomic revision of the tarantula genus Aphonopelma Pocock, 1901 (Araneae, Mygalomorphae, Theraphosidae) within the United States.
ZooKeys 50(3): 560: 1-340. DOI: 10.3897/zookeys.560.6264

View Article Online

LINKS
  • To visit The Tarantula Bibliography click here
  • To download the PDF species list click here
  • To subscribe to my email updates click here

Last edited:

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
I have updated The Tarantula Bibliography again to include an overlooked paper that declared four South American Aphonopelma species nomen dubium (Gabriel, 2013). Thanks to Dr. Stuart Longhorn for informing me of my error. This means that after the Hamilton et. al., 2016 revision of the genus there are now "only" 60 species of Aphonopelma, and at present the family Theraphosidae is comprised of 948 species in 132 genera.

PLEASE NOTE THE LINK IN MY ABOVE POST TO DOWNLOAD MY THERAPHOSIDAE SPECIES LIST AS A 21 PAGE PDF FILE FOR YOUR PERSONAL REFERENCE.

Last edited: