The Tarantula and The pet name

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I haven't named any of my Ts yet but I plan on only naming the females because I get tired of referring to them as GBB or OBT and the scientific names are a mouthful so I'll just keep it simple and give the sexed females classy names and maybe try to breed the males.

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
Most of mine are named based on a characteristic of theirs. I have 9 so far and 3 are unnamed because they're only slings yet.

My first one is named Muffet after the spider character in Undertale
My GBB is currently named Pumpkin due to the orange abdomen it will get, though if it is a male, it will be changed to Enoch after a big pumpkin character in Over the Garden Wall
My big B. albo female is named Queen cause that's what she is, and if it's shortened to Q it can be Curly Q
My MM C. leetzi is named Archer since I feel like he likes to live in the DANGER ZONE after running around the reptile show floor seconds after purchasing him
My female Euathlus sp. red is named peach due to her kind attitude and the fuzzy red patch on her abdomen
and lastly my C. elegans is named Valentine after the heart shape on the abdomen that they are known for

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I enjoy coming up with different names for mine, and it helps me keep them sorted, especially since my whole family has gotten into collecting Ts. :D My Ts are mostly named for something to do with horror/creepy/thriller type stuff, but I do have a B. albo named FuFu Cuddly Poops (a name gotten from Avatar the Last Airbender) and a B. emilia named Gohma (dungeon boss from Legend of Zelda). My others are Misery, Poe, Jekyll, Hyde, and Morticia.

My kids Ts are named Cutie and Fluffers (my 7yo daughter's), and Shy Guy and Pumpernickle (my 9yo son's). So cute lol.

My MM C. leetzi is named Archer since I feel like he likes to live in the DANGER ZONE after running around the reptile show floor seconds after purchasing him
DANGER ZONE :rofl:

kmhvmh

Arachnopeon
my female OBT is named Samus. My female Indian ornamental is named Lucretia. My unsexed GBB is named Atilla. My female bearded dragon is named Reptar. My white mouse is named Boo. I have 2 P Metallicas and a versicolor which are currently unnamed

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Most of mine are named based on a characteristic of theirs. I have 9 so far and 3 are unnamed because they're only slings yet.

My first one is named Muffet after the spider character in Undertale
My GBB is currently named Pumpkin due to the orange abdomen it will get, though if it is a male, it will be changed to Enoch after a big pumpkin character in Over the Garden Wall
My big B. albo female is named Queen cause that's what she is, and if it's shortened to Q it can be Curly Q
My female Euathlus sp. red is named peach due to her kind attitude and the fuzzy red patch on her abdomen
and lastly my C. elegans is named Valentine after the heart shape on the abdomen that they are known for
I like names with stories

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I suppose you could call these names, typically it's just to be lazy and not say the entire Latin name, or just 1, 2, or 3.

3 G. pulchripes are Chaco, Gold, and Knee respectively. GBB is Green. P. fasciata is The Pokie or The Beast. 2 A. geroldi are the twins or Left and Right.

All my other animals have names, except my gargoyle gecko who is just referred to as The Baby for now.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I thought I had named all mine but cannot remember their names usually. lol
GBB = Bloo
B emilia = Emilia
G rosea = Rosie
B albo = Hagrid
OBT = Sunshine
Avic = Timber
Cannot remember any other names. And even with the few names I remember -- only Rosie is actually called that -- the rest I use scientific/latin names. I don't think G pulchripes or A seemanni ever had names, nor the others -- who knows if they received a name or not. I walked over to look at my enclosures and noticed many have no pet name listed at all, like my Euathlus Pulcherrimakassi sp blue -- and I was sure I had given a pet name to my dwarf. Who knows?
Between scientific names, common names and then pet names... it can get confusing as your numbers rise.
Oh well. I don't judge those who choose to name or not.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
I have a daughter. Things get names. She dislikes my tarantulas, they still have names. I'd like to blame it all on her but I can't.

My first when I got back into the hobby was a G. "northern type". He has marks across his carapace, so I started calling him Scar.

Two D pentaloris, Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Some have names and some don't .....

kmhvmh

Arachnopeon
I have a daughter. Things get names. She dislikes my tarantulas, they still have names. I'd like to blame it all on her but I can't.

My first when I got back into the hobby was a G. "northern type". He has marks across his carapace, so I started calling him Scar.

Two D pentaloris, Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Some have names and some don't .....
same but I have a 5 year old boy. things get names but he enjoys the spiders but knows not to touch them

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
All of my tarantulas have names.

Generally I give them names based on food, songs, Sindarin Elvish, physical characteristics, colors, or Catholic Saints.

I named my N. chromatus sling "Chips" for example because I thought of the name when eating an ice cream cookie sandwich (as in "chocolate chips").

It's just far easier for me to give names for record-keeping purposes and being a non-boring science person.