The Tarantula and The pet name

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
So i was able to determine the sex of my GBB,its a dude,he's my first dude,the others are dudettes or still too small to be sexed.

And thus,I shall name him "daddy long legs", for he will be a daddy, and he has long legs.

What about you guys, How do you name your Pet T?

Attachments

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I have a good size collection some get names some dont. It all depends on the individual and their antics.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
names are pretty useless for animals who will never even recognize you. but to each their own i suppose.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I don't name them, I understand why people like to though. I enjoy keeping them, but I just don't view them the same way as my dogs who respond to their names.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
The only invert in my collection that has a name is my amblypygi sp. His/ Her name is Thing.

The only reason I call him that is because I'm a Tarantula guy so I hardly ever say amblypygi. So most often I forget it's latin name when saying things like I have to feed that thing or I have to water that thing.. So it's name is thing and here it is.Lol 20170428_193252.jpg

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I name my Tarantulas. So far I've picked a name before I know the gender. I figure ill cross that bridge when I get to it. I name my tarantulas for the sole purpose of it being easier to talk about an individual tarantula to friends or family by saying "Dale did something crazy" rather than "my P. Murinus behaved quite bizzare not long ago". Most other people don't like the scientific word mumbo jumbo that we have come to prefer.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
In my collection, I usually only give names to the females. My two males (B. Sabulosum and E. Sp. Red) have names as well. My late male A. Metallica did not get a name.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The only invert in my collection that has a name is my amblypygi sp. His/ Her name is Thing.

The only reason I call him that is because I'm a Tarantula guy so I hardly ever say amblypygi. So most often I forget it's latin name when saying things like I have to feed that thing or I have to water that thing.. So it's name is thing and here it is.Lol View attachment 238510
That's definitely a girl. Her pedipalps are very short and stumpy.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I will never have so many spiders that I can't name them all. I pick obvious names like Crush for my OBT (orange crush), Doomsday for my massive T stirmi, Casper for my ghost ornamental ha. I also pick cutesy sounding names---Muffin the pinktoe, Topsy the lp, Rachel spider and a few others. I also have three H gigas that are Curly, Moe and Larry :)

GingerC

Arachnosquire
My inverts are my pets and they all have names. Sometimes, it's spontaneous (George the mantis), other times it's my brother getting attached and coming up with a name (Bingo the scorpion and Blue the jumping spider).

Whether or not my pets can love me back is completely irrelevant- it doesn't matter that my scorpion hates my guts or my snail is completely unaware of my presence, I still have an emotional attachment to them anyway.

I completely understand having a collection of 20+ animals and not having any time for that, though. By the way things are going, I'll probably be like that in ten years. :p

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I use names because it makes talking about my Ts easier with other people, and because it's fun for me. I do understand people with large collections not bothering with it, though.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
names are pretty useless for animals who will never even recognize you. but to each their own i suppose.
you don't name tank pets thinking they will act like a dog lol. People want to talk about my tarantulas, and definitely don't want to hear me talk about my Pamphobeteus sp.goliath or Theraphosa stirmi. They do ask about Hercules and Doomsday quite often :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
you don't name tank pets thinking they will act like a dog lol. People want to talk about my tarantulas, and definitely don't want to hear me talk about my Pamphobeteus sp.goliath or Theraphosa stirmi. They do ask about Hercules and Doomsday quite often :)
i name my reptiles. ;)
common names do have a use. people i know would think im more crazy if i named them all sorts of things lol

MKG

Arachnopeon
So i was able to determine the sex of my GBB,its a dude,he's my first dude,the others are dudettes or still too small to be sexed.

And thus,I shall name him "daddy long legs", for he will be a daddy, and he has long legs.

What about you guys, How do you name your Pet T?
I have a male and his name is Norman 2.0....he's psycho:)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've taken to naming all of mine after characters from Mortal Kombat or Marvel Comics once I know the gender.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I only really name my favourite Ts , I have eight altogether but have only named some Kaiser , Mr T, Feaster , Pugsley , Pink Pshso and my small 1cm sling Titch

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Once, when I was into breeding prior the 2003 arachnid ban that Italy had thanks to those disgusting politicians, we named a female C.cyaneopubescens 'Leonarda' in honor of Leonarda Cianciulli.

L. Cianciulli was a badass, ignorant as hell (lol) old serial killer Italian lady that lived in a time where the "serial killer" label didn't existed here.

Leonarda Cianciulli loved to kill people and turned the rest, after, into soap, ah ah ah.

'Leonarda' the 'GBB' munched a couple of 1.0 C.cyaneopubescens that, prior, they were healthy and pompous like a soldier in his Amsterdam Red Light district free night. Prior :-s

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
My wife and I like to name our pets people names. We only have three tarantulas so far, and their names are Claire, Chloe, and Frankie. I'd like to think as we go on, we will still always name our Ts, but I may have to start labeling them eventually :rolleyes: