The strangest T-keepers I've ever met

boina

Lady of the mites
So, yesterday was Hamm Expo day. I will for sure make another post about that (try stopping me :smug:), but this is about the drive back...

On my way back home I stopped by another T-keeper to pick up a T. gigas female. I got there and first thing they asked me was to be quiet since the baby was still sleeping - absolutely, yes, no problem.
Then we went into the T room and it was pretty cluttered. No problem there, I can be a bit messy at times. But the enclosures looked like they could really do with a cleaning and they were definitely too moist for my liking - M. balfouri in a swamp??? Anyway, I was there for a Tapi. So, he opened the enclosure. Like most Germans he had front opening glass terrariums, meaning he took the front off the terrarium and started rumaging in there.
I was like: "Please, be careful, that looks like the Tapi might come racing out there any second"... and Tapi comes racing out there and disappears in the clutter under the shelves...
Them (a couple): "Oh, don't worry, happens all the time. We've had so many Ts running around in this room. On time a large Pokie got away, but she went upwards and after a few days we picked her off the ceiling."
Remember that I was supposed to be quiet because of the baby? A baby and a free roaming Pokie...:astonished::astonished::banghead::banghead::banghead: I couldn't believe it. Btw. the door of the room couldn't be closed because of all the clutter that was in the way... I asked about that and they just told me that the escaped Ts wouldn't leave the room, because it was the warmest room in the house. It really sounded like they had a lot of experience with escapes.:banghead::banghead:

Anyway, back to the Tapi. It had completely disappeared into the clutter, but the guy was just, Don't worry, we'll take the next one instead, I've got three of them, that's why I wanted to sell one. So he opens the next front opening enclosure by taking the door out and carelessly starts rumaging again... o_O This time he got lucky and the Tapi drew back into his bamboo tube. He took the tube out and started poking in there with a long needle :astonished::astonished:, holding the tube over a small empty tub. If the Tapi had come out it would very likely just have raced out ot that tub and followed the other one.:banghead: But this Tapi now wasn't going to come out of his nice, safe bamboo tube. So the guy reasonably decided that I could have the whole bamboo including spider inside and handed me the tube to just hold it - free in the room :anxious: - while he was going to get a plastic bag to put it in. Errrr... NO. I'm not going to transport a Tapi in a tube in a plastic bag in my car. Finally I got the Tapi in the tube in a tub - with lid - and went home.

I really was like: What just happened here? :astonished: :banghead::banghead::banghead:

And you know what: he had some scorpions in there, too. Now, I don't know anything about scorpions, but he had red warning labels on the tubs with this skull and bones symbol... and a baby in the house.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Why wouldn't you be comfortable driving with a T. gigas in a trash bag? I did it with a full grown P.vitatta in a torn up old shopping bag..

True story I made a thread about it..

boina

Lady of the mites
Why wouldn't you be comfortable driving with a T. gigas in a trash bag? I did it with a full grown P.vitatta in a torn up old shopping bag..

True story I made a thread about it..
You are a lot tougher then I am :astonished:. And I really was worried about the Tapi disappearing in my car and me not finding it and the Tapi freezing to death - temps are still around freezing around here...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No, I didn't see the baby...
I see. No, asked that only because two options could be on the table.

1) the baby doesn't exists: toys everywhere, carillon etc but the cradle/little bed is empty, parents though believes he/she's inside.

2) the baby died from multiple potent venom bites thanks to those escapes, and there's a mummified corpse inside like in 'American Gothic' movie.

:troll:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
You are a lot tougher then I am :astonished:. And I really was worried about the Tapi disappearing in my car and me not finding it and the Tapi freezing to death - temps are still around freezing around here...
Yea It wasn't what I considered an ideal method of transport either.. It was a take it or leave it kind of thing in a Wal-Mart parking lot.. There was no way in hell I was passing up a pokie...

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I see. No, asked that only because two options could be on the table.

1) the baby doesn't exists: toys everywhere, carillon etc but the cradle/little bed is empty, parents though believes he/she's inside.

2) the baby died from multiple potent venom bites thanks to those escapes, and there's a mummified corpse inside like in 'American Gothic' movie.

:troll:
:bookworm:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Interesting story. Sounds like a news event waiting to happen.

What size Tapi gigas did you get?

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
IMG_4055a.jpg

And here is Tapi and his tube after he came out tonight.

@Jeff23 I'm extremely bad with estimating DLS of arboreals, but she (hopefully) is still a rather small juvenile, maybe 3".

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Some people....

Your new spider looks a bit ehh....large....:D

You describe it as a 'he', is it a male or female?

Walker253

Arachnobaron
So, yesterday was Hamm Expo day. I will for sure make another post about that (try stopping me :smug:), but this is about the drive back...

On my way back home I stopped by another T-keeper to pick up a T. gigas female. I got there and first thing they asked me was to be quiet since the baby was still sleeping - absolutely, yes, no problem.
Then we went into the T room and it was pretty cluttered. No problem there, I can be a bit messy at times. But the enclosures looked like they could really do with a cleaning and they were definitely too moist for my liking - M. balfouri in a swamp??? Anyway, I was there for a Tapi. So, he opened the enclosure. Like most Germans he had front opening glass terrariums, meaning he took the front off the terrarium and started rumaging in there.
I was like: "Please, be careful, that looks like the Tapi might come racing out there any second"... and Tapi comes racing out there and disappears in the clutter under the shelves...
Them (a couple): "Oh, don't worry, happens all the time. We've had so many Ts running around in this room. On time a large Pokie got away, but she went upwards and after a few days we picked her off the ceiling."
Remember that I was supposed to be quiet because of the baby? A baby and a free roaming Pokie...:astonished::astonished::banghead::banghead::banghead: I couldn't believe it. Btw. the door of the room couldn't be closed because of all the clutter that was in the way... I asked about that and they just told me that the escaped Ts wouldn't leave the room, because it was the warmest room in the house. It really sounded like they had a lot of experience with escapes.:banghead::banghead:

Anyway, back to the Tapi. It had completely disappeared into the clutter, but the guy was just, Don't worry, we'll take the next one instead, I've got three of them, that's why I wanted to sell one. So he opens the next front opening enclosure by taking the door out and carelessly starts rumaging again... o_O This time he got lucky and the Tapi drew back into his bamboo tube. He took the tube out and started poking in there with a long needle :astonished::astonished:, holding the tube over a small empty tub. If the Tapi had come out it would very likely just have raced out ot that tub and followed the other one.:banghead: But this Tapi now wasn't going to come out of his nice, safe bamboo tube. So the guy reasonably decided that I could have the whole bamboo including spider inside and handed me the tube to just hold it - free in the room :anxious: - while he was going to get a plastic bag to put it in. Errrr... NO. I'm not going to transport a Tapi in a tube in a plastic bag in my car. Finally I got the Tapi in the tube in a tub - with lid - and went home.

I really was like: What just happened here? :astonished: :banghead::banghead::banghead:

And you know what: he had some scorpions in there, too. Now, I don't know anything about scorpions, but he had red warning labels on the tubs with this skull and bones symbol... and a baby in the house.
The seller is probably one of those guys who gives advice on many tarantula Facebook groups.

boina

Lady of the mites
Some people....

Your new spider looks a bit ehh....large....:D

You describe it as a 'he', is it a male or female?
Hey, no fat shaming my spider please! :p

She is supposed to be female - I don't know why I said *he*.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
Many people are not the most responsible, many people are just stupid, many of those people find spiders to be a "cool" item to fit their "though guy" style. Ehh