The strange case of partenogenesis

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A friend of mine ( que pasa Fran?) had a strange case of partenogenesis in a S.s.s about 12 cm lenght! The eggs was eaten by the mother 3 weeks latter. When can the scolopendra subspinipes start to make this things? and to reproduce using the sperm of a male? ( I'm questioning about length)

Cheers
Carles

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i'm not sure i would call that parthenogenesis. an unimpregnated female will made "dud" eggs from time to time, just like a "virgin" tarantula will occasionally make an eggsac.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's also the case of centipedes retaining viable sperm for years, even through molts. But I'm not sure if that would apply to what appears to be an immature specimen.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's also the case of centipedes retaining viable sperm for years, even through molts. But I'm not sure if that would apply to what appears to be an immature specimen.
actually there is a question as to when scolo's are mature. my brother had a S. polymorpha that made viables at ~3.5" bodylength... and i have had polymorpha crack 7"BL

so it would appear that some species can be mature at half maximum length, more or less

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm not sure i would call that parthenogenesis. an unimpregnated female will made "dud" eggs from time to time, just like a "virgin" tarantula will occasionally make an eggsac.
That eggs has become protoninfs. Fasmids can do that, ants, bees, and also some spp. of scorps do that. Are registrate 100% partenogenesis in scolopendra? Or is just sperm retention? Also I know, the can lay unviable eggs.

Cheers
Carles

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
cool, if the eggs started differentiated tissues and stuff i would say they were definitely not duds!

the next step would be to determine if the specimen was WC or CH/CB